Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We're Moving!!!!!!

Chaser
March 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
So, despite the fact that a year ago our landlords said they didn't mind renting to tenants with dogs.....they're turned out to be crazy (literally) and completely changed their minds.

In August we got in crap for dogsitting (wtf?) - apparently, having three dogs around is "not necessary" and they totally ripped apart my coworker, saying "a responsible dog owner would have put it in a kennel". :wall: :yell:

We couldn't keep Heidi with us because of them (future-in-laws' dog) and that totally broke my heart. They're convinced our dogs are ruining our house and have insisted on setting appointments with us to "inspect" the house. They always look disappointed that it's spotless with no sign of destruction.

Now our lease is up and we've found a new house. Out new landlord has an adorable dog (Katrina rescue!) and a cat. He works in a profession similar to mine and is just a really nice and reasonable guy.

We're getting a tonne more space - will finally have a basement for storage - a whole house to ourselves, a ridiculously large fenced yard and what we can already tell is a friendly neighbourhood.

We move April 30th - so anyone here who has my address just an FYI that it will be changing! Send me an IM if you'd like the new one.

We're not looking forward to the moving part.....but we'll be in a much less annoying situation. I'm pretty sure our landlords have purposely tried to annoy us into leaving :frustrated:

Kay9
March 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Y'know, so many landlords are :censored: crazy when it comes to pets!! Kids and adults can cause much more damage than pets can cause. It's total bull*****!

I'm SO glad to read that it all has a happy ending for you. It was fate--the good kind. :lovestruck:

Dog Dancer
March 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Well it turned into a win win for you then! Congratulations. I don't let my tenants have pets, but that's because we have our quota for the property. I'd rather have a dog in the basement than the ding bat girl that's down there now...

14+kitties
March 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Congrats Chaser!! How exciting for you!! The puppers will be happy too! And Rupert!! More space to explore!!

Y'know, so many landlords are :censored: crazy when it comes to pets!! Kids and adults can cause much more damage than pets can cause. It's total bull*****!

Just to play devil's advocate here for a moment. I have been in both positions - a tenant and a landlord. Still am a landlord. Yes, I agree. Some tenants keep the house spotless and you would never know there were pets in the home. Unfortunately that is not only the case. I had the misfortune to rent to one in the past who was horrible as far as cleaning goes. They were great to start with. Completely kept the house clean. For about a month. Then they started not paying rent on time, got a pup, started fighting with knives thrown in walls.............. When I finally managed to evict them we took away four truckloads of garbage from the house, had to repair and paint every single wall, put new carpet in all the bedrooms and had to replace the flooring in the kitchen and living room because it was so badly stained with urine. Sorry I didn't do testing to see if it was animal or human. I suspect both.
The tenant we have now has been a long time tenant of my hubby's before I moved here. For the first six or seven years mostly no problem. In the last couple he has been on disability and is home most of the time. The cottage he lives in is on our property. It is a kitchen/living combined with a bedroom and bath. Perfect for one person. He also had two GSDs, a cat and a bird.
Last year he moved his son in. Didn't ask. Just moved him in. He now has two cats as far as we can tell. He had one dog put down in Feb BUT not before he had the female bred. :wall: She had 8 live puppies! We found out about them when they were approx four weeks old. They were never outside until they were about six weeks old. Even then they were only out for about an hour a day at tops.
Now you tell me what kind of shape our neat little cottage is going to be in when we finally find enough reason to evict him? Do you think we will see a penny for any damages all of his pets have caused? I sure don't!!
I know there are good tenants and bad tenants but - it is not always the landlords fault. JMO:shrug:

dollface
March 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Glad this worked out for you Chaser! Moving will be exhausting no doubt, but soo worth it in the end! I'm trying to convince the bf to move to save some money but he won't b/c we would be living with his sister. More space + saving money = good but b/c his sister would live in the basement he says bad idea. Go figure that one out. Grr lol But thank you for sharing your awesome news! I really needed to hear someone having a happy ending today.

Agree with 14+, but the only crappy part is the that the bad tenants ruin it for the good tenants. :(

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity, Chaser, even if it does mean you'll have to pack! hazel hates moving with a passion, so I totally understand your feelings there, but more room and a whole fenced backyard to yourselves?!? :eek: :highfive: :goodvibes: :clap: There are gonna be some very happy canines at your new place! :D

Congratulations!!!!

Dog Dancer
March 12th, 2010, 05:40 PM
For many years I also rented a house. I was a single mother with a small child and a dog and two cats. Actually there were a couple dogs who didn't stick around long due to problems with eating walls and such (they were rescues who had to go back to rescue sadly). BUT those walls were fixed without the landlord ever even knowing they had been damaged. When I owned my own place I ended up moving into my boyfriends rented house with my two dogs until we bought the place we're in now. While living in that rented house Shadow had a S/A meltdown on night (I told him that would happen, but nooooo, he didn't believe me). She destroyed the back door, the door frame, some drywall, you get the idea. That was all repaired again before the landlord even knew it had happened. I would never impose my dogs destruction on somebody else without making certain it was 100 % repaired immediately. It is sad though that not everybody is as responsible as most of us here are. And it does make it impossible for those who are responsible to find housing with a pet. It's not fair, but it is sadly a reality.

Chaser
March 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM
What gets me is that we have shown them, time and again, that NOTHING is being harmed by the dogs! They are just determined to get us out....their "concerns" don't even make sense. So we're sad because we love the house, the yard and the neighbours....but we can't tolerate them anymore. They are outright insulting.

Kay9
March 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I've been an owner now for many years, but I was a renter prior to that. I can certainly understand the issue from the landlord's perspective. However, I suspect that the messy properties would be a mess with or without a pet (although the pet urine was probably an added pleasure :yuck:).

mummummum
March 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Congrats Chaser! I hope your new home is a :cloud9: Moving is a PITA but look at it as an OPPORTUNITY TO PURGE :D

All that stuff of your hunny's you've been dying to toss but got the "No, I'll fiix it", "No I might need that" "No, I'll put it somewhere else" ...All those broken down, rusty, smelly, greasy whozitz and whatitz... http://bestsmileys.com/magic/1.gif GONE ! Just like that.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Congratulation Chaser , I'm so happy for you ! :crazy:

luckypenny
March 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Can't wait to see pics of the pups and kitty in their new home and yard :goodvibes:.

14+kitties
March 13th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I've been an owner now for many years, but I was a renter prior to that. I can certainly understand the issue from the landlord's perspective. However, I suspect that the messy properties would be a mess with or without a pet (although the pet urine was probably an added pleasure :yuck:).

:sorry::offtopic:
I agree. They probably would be an issue. However, the dog was not cleaned up after either indoors or out. It dug many holes in the yard which also had to be filled and seeded before selling the property. I know the tenant we have now doesn't worry a great deal about cleaning up after his dogs outside.
If I were in the position again to rent I would still rent to people with pets. I would just ask for a damage deposit first to help cover any damages that may be done. Not every tenant is as careful as Chaser is.

Chaser - I know you would never cause any problems in any home you lived in. :fingerscr this new house is as great as you hope it will be.

Dee-O-Gee
March 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Good luck in your new dwelling Chaser! :thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
March 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Chaser, sounds like your new house will be wonderful! I know moving can be a lot of work and frustrating, but like someone else said, great time to purge! When we moved to HR, I couldn't believe how much crap we got rid of, I didn't even know I had so much crap!:laughing:
Sorry your current landlords turned out to be crazy :censored:'s , that alone should make moving a postive experience.
Wish I lived closer, I'd offer to help ya pack and move...
Btw, I would like your new addy, no rush tho, just before next christmas so I can send ya a card, or if your doing another fundraiser.

ancientgirl
March 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Looks like it worked out in your favor. I'm lucky my landlord doesn't mind about my gang, but I know some do. You have to do what's best for your family.

Chaser
March 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Wish I lived closer, I'd offer to help ya pack and move...

Another example of the awesomeness of pets.ca members! :grouphug:

It's okay though, we have a couple friends who have offered to help and DH-to-be is home most days while I'm at work and he agreed to do most of the packing (yes, he's trained well!).

I may need a reminder on the address thing....I'm doing so many things right now that I'm having frequent cases of the forgetfuls. And I still need to go look up my new postal code.

Ugh, I can't wait to get this move over and feel settled....

Chaser
March 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Looks like it worked out in your favor. I'm lucky my landlord doesn't mind about my gang, but I know some do. You have to do what's best for your family.

Exactly. The puppers are going to be getting an even bigger yard (huge!) and Rupert LOVES running up and down stairs, so he'll be happy to have access to those (we live on the main floor of a bungalow right now).

I just can't believe the 180 that the landlords did over the pets....they knew about them even before we signed the lease and said they had no issue....they're completely crazy. Either way we weren't about to tolerate the hostility any longer.