Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Luna loves people WAY too much.. help

Stinkycat
March 11th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Okay, I know this isn't a huge problem but it may become one in the future if I don't get it under wraps now.

Luna LOVES:lovestruck: people, not strangers as much as people she knows at the dog park. She will ignore every command and run over to them full speed without even taking a second glance backwards. What I'm worried about is her running into something dangerous.

Now, I leash her as we enter the dog park and keep her leashed to say hello to everyone, so the initial excitement is over, but then a little while after a new person will come and Luna goes balistic and runs to them, ignoring my recall or even stay.

Now Luna stays and recalls 98% of the time, with no new people. If there's no new people Luna will come to me always and listen to the commands and obey them. But as soon as a new person comes she high tails it, it's very annoying and I want to be able to recall my dog in this situation. I tried keeping her on leash but asked myself how she is going to learn to come back to me if she's right beside me.:frustrated:

Has anyone ever had this and overcome it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Dog Dancer
March 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Have you tried a super long lead/rope. I know you can buy training leashes that are like 30 feet long. That way they can get quite far away from you but you still have control. Sorry it's been a while since I could let my girls run free so recall is not an issue with them anymore, but that's what we used to train Shadow on recall. You are right to try to nip this in the bud though.

Stinkycat
March 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I was actually thinking about going to buy one, the only problem I see with that is her roping people and tangling them, cause she's a monster! lol

Dog Dancer
March 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Well yes, I could see that might be a problem :laughing:. I guess the point would be to yard her back or give her a tug BEFORE she wraps herself around somebody's legs... As soon as you see her attention focus on a new person you need to start reeling her back in with a command and some praise. Make sure you have yummy great treats with you so that when she gets back, even if it wasn't really her idea, she gets a FABULOUS reward for it. The whole idea being that she'd rather come back to you for that than go see a stranger. You can always set her up by picking a time to be alone and work on it and then have a friend come by and have her go to say hello. You do a quick recall and reward. I'm not sure if this is the best advice, it's just part of what we did. Others will be more helpful I am sure.

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Another thing to watch for if you use the long lead trick--keep on eye on your own feet. I was, unbeknownst to me, standing on the end of the long lead when the dog on the other end (who was running at the time) got to the end of his rope, so to speak. I was on crutches for a few weeks from the resulting compression injury to the ankle. :o

However, if you're more careful than hazel, the long lead can be an excellent training tool. :D

Stinkycat
March 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Alrighty, so this is funny. I went out and bought a 15m line, and attached it to Luna's collar ect.

4 people came into the park that she LOVES, at seperate times, well while she was on leash, it's like she KNEW she was on leash and didn't charge at them and listened to every word I said. a couple more people and she didn't even TRY to run. So another person came in and she didn't see them, so I let her off leash and continued to throw the ball and train her stays and drops. Well as soon as she saw them ran to them with no hesitation, no recall worked.

It's like she knows she's on leash and running wouldn't be a problem, but as soon as she knows she's not on leash she ignores me. I mean today was better than most days with her listening while running with other dogs, it only took 3 minutes of trying to get her to come back, usually I never can.

Does anyone use any cue words? Treats dont work with her, she loves people WAY more then food.

Dog Dancer
March 12th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Try different treats. My dog would do anything for Rollover. I'd cut it into tiny bits because it's very rich. I'd cut up the entire roll and freeze it into little bags that I could take out as I needed. Only use those treats (or whatever else may work like hot dogs) for that specific training technique so that she doesn't get bored with them. Maybe you need to post a sign on the gate of the park that says "Please ignore the _____ (fill in Luna's type here as I can't recall it right now - is she the BC in your avatar?) if she comes to see you. We're working on training." Or have some people you know come in and when she approaches them ask them (in advance) to be cold to her and ignore her. Sorry I can't give you any better advice. Hazel - yes it's important not to stand on the long line (or to have it wrapped around your legs). I have a visual and it's rude for me to be laughing.

luckypenny
March 12th, 2010, 09:49 PM
What is your tone when you call her back to you? If and when she arrives, what do you do? If the new person entering the park is wayyyy more fun and excited to see her, for sure she'll want to socialize for a bit and suck up all the attention :D.

I'd practice in a calm environment first by calling her back to you, offering her the yummiest treat (used for training and at no other time) or her favorite toy in the world (tug often works just as well as treats), and then releasing her to do as she wishes. Most people make a mistake by always leashing their dogs and ending play or something the dog considers really fun. Dogs quickly learn that coming when called can have negative results. At the dog park, if Luna comes to you, praise and reward her, and let her go back to doing what she was. In an emergency, you can always hold on to her.

Hide and seek (you hide, she seeks) is a great way to practice recall.

If you can enlist the help of a second person, there are two games that come to mind which you can play with her. One is you walk around one end of a yard/park while the other person is at the other end. Call her back and forth a few times and reward her when she arrives. If she runs ahead to either one of you without being called, do not reward her.

The second game: Have a friend hold a treat in her hand but not release it to Luna. Standing 6-8 feet away, call her name. If she looks at you, toss her the treat. If she comes to you automatically, jackpot her (give her many tiny treats one after another), then release her to get her treat from your friend. She'll quickly learn that coming to you even though she wants to see someone else is doubly rewarding.

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM
The second game: Have a friend hold a treat in her hand but not release it to Luna. Standing 6-8 feet away, call her name. If she looks at you, toss her the treat. If she comes to you automatically, jackpot her (give her many tiny treats one after another), then release her to get her treat from your friend. She'll quickly learn that coming to you even though she wants to see someone else is doubly rewarding.

Now that's a neat idea! :highfive: If I could only find someone brave enough to come in the yard :o

luckypenny
March 12th, 2010, 10:03 PM
If I was closer...I'd be living in your yard :laughing:.

You and dh can practice, Hazel :D.

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Nah...dh has pretty good recall as it is. :shrug:

:laughing:

But wouldn't they still be distracted when there was actually a stranger within reach? They actually behave pretty well with us...but no one believes us because when there's a witness, they're going crazy over the presence of a stranger! :rolleyes:

luckypenny
March 12th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Nah...dh has pretty good recall as it is. :shrug:

:laughing:

What is he rewarded with :laughing:?

But wouldn't they still be distracted when there was actually a stranger within reach? They actually behave pretty well with us...but no one believes us because when there's a witness, they're going crazy over the presence of a stranger! :rolleyes:

When starting out this game, other than holding the treat in a closed hand, the other person is supposed to completely ignore the dog. No talking, petting, etc. As the dog gets better and better at responding to his/her human, the second person can start adding distractions (just no rewards). The first reward comes from mom/dad, second reward comes from stranger/friend only when given the cue to do so eg. "good girl, ok go see so-and-so" or "yes, ok go say hello."

Stinkycat
March 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Luna will ALWAYS come to me even with strangers close by.

If she's 40-60 ft away and I call her, she comes every time. She loves it when I call her, she always gets praises and treats, I would never get mad at her no matter what if she came to me even after disobeying.
Like I was saying, she comes 98% of the time, the other 2% of time is when she see's people in the dog park, they don't say anything to her when she's coming at them, they're all trying to help with her not jumping on them and recall for me, they ignore her.

Today I tried using real chicken, she listened ALMOST everytime, but she still jumped on them. So I guess I may have not been using a good enough treat :shrug:

luckypenny
March 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Today I tried using real chicken, she listened ALMOST everytime, but she still jumped on them. So I guess I may have not been using a good enough treat :shrug:

It would seem that the jumping up is more the problem rather than the recall then? Maybe smaller steps is what's needed. Will she sit if they tell her to? Can you "set up" training opportunities where a person enters the park and tells her to sit before she has the chance to jump up?