Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bert...

.unknown.
March 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Chameleonbert had to cross the rainbow-y vine last friday... He was one of the most interesting and beautiful creatures I've known.

RIP little dude.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/gabberkitten/petpictures/chameleonbert008.jpg

BenMax
March 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I am sooo sorry for your lose.

What a stunning boy. He will forever be in your heart.

Find Peace.

Hang out free and keep changing those colors in all your glory little one.:rip:

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Oh, he was a handsome boy, .unknown. I'm sorry for your loss :grouphug:

:candle: Bert

ancientgirl
March 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Bert was quite the handsome boy.

Frenchy
March 11th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I,m so sorry for your loss :(

may I ask , how old was Bert ?

mummummum
March 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
He was truly beautiful and must have given you many memorable moments over the years. :candle:

.unknown.
March 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. :)

Bert was about 6.5 years old. I am not exactly sure how old he was when I got him 6 years ago but, judging from other chameleon growth rates and colouring, he would have been between 5 and 7 months old.

BenMax
March 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Well he was simply gorgeous. I am so sorry you lost him at a young age.

Please do tell use what these animals are like. Maybe this should be a different thread and I certainly do not want to upset you as this is a tender moment for you, but most of us never got the opportunity to have one of these scale babies. I for one would really want to know more about him.

Winston
March 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Unknown I am so sorry for your loss! be sure your little buddy is runng free at the bridge!

I also would love to know a little more about your buddy as I really dont know about them at all ...when you feel up to it perhaps you can share some info with us here....

RIP little one! :candle:

.unknown.
March 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Benmax & Winston

I would love to tell you about Bert. At 6.5 years old he was actually fairly ancient in terms of longevity. Chameleons typically live 5-7 years in captivity and some can make it to 10 if the husbandry is spot on, even still it is pretty rare. In the wild they typical live for 2-3 years. They are a very tricky pet to own because they have strict requirements in diet, humidity and lighting and with all these requirements; Bert easily became one of my most expensive pets.

All the experts agree that chameleons are a pet that is to be admired from a distance; they are easily stressed by too much handling, and stress equals illness in these creatures. Bert, I think, was an exception to the rule; as there always are exceptions, he LOVED to come out of his enclosure and hang out on the curtain rod above my patio doors. I would hang a fake vine down in the sun, open the window and let him hang out there, and when he got too warm, heíd climb up and walk back and forth on the rod. They have a very distinct walk that is hard to describe, but I guess the closest thing would be like an Egyptian (hehe), but they move back and forth slightly to imitate the movement of a leaf in the wind; however, when you see one walking along a curtain rod, itís pretty comical to watch!

Hereís a video of one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdbSikEtjDQ

Chameleons are not fast at all, the one in the video is probably going as fast as it ever will and because they donít run, they canít really get out of the way of anything about to step on it, so if there was a car coming; it would not jump or run out of the way. They are strictly arboreal species, so their instinct is to climb, and when Bert was a baby, he would climb up my shirt, climb my face and hang out on my head. When he got older and bigger, his grip was far too strong and it would actually hurt when he held onto you. Chameleons also have prehensile tales which act as a safety net; when they walk around on stuff they have their tales on stand-by incase they lose grip and fall. They are pretty amazing creatures when you watch them walk around, but thatís not the best part!

Their tongues are twice the length of their body and they shoot them at insects with astonishing accuracy. They have binocular vision; both eyes see different images, but when one eye spots an insect, they turn their head, and both eyes aim toward the target, and they shoot their tongue out, catch their prey and chomp it down. They donít have teeth like we do, but their jawbones have a serrated edge kind of like a butter knife. Bert never bit me, so I canít say whether it hurts or not, but Iíve heard they can draw blood.

Even though his capacity for love and appreciation was limited by his little reptilian brain, Bert trusted me, he would not get scared or hiss (one of their few defenses) when I touched him. Most people think that all Chameleons change to camouflage, but this variety actually use their colours to exhibit their moods, and to absorb heat. If Bert got cold, he looked like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/gabberkitten/petpictures/IMG_9218.jpg

The black pigment would help him absorb heat. I recommend reading the section of their colour changing in Wikipedia, itís really neat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon

The picture in my first post he is displaying ďhappyĒ, ďcontentedĒ, relaxed colours. I put those in quotations because Iím not sure what happy or content means in the reptile world, but judging by the colors he would show, it must mean a good thing!

Anyway, I hope that gives you a little idea of what they are like, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. It feels good to remember Bert in his better days 

14+kitties
March 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
:candle::rip:Bert :candle:

the gang
March 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM
he was just beautiful! and the information was super thank you :rip: bert, brenda and the pins.

My Lodi Girl
March 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM
:rip: Bert :candle:

BenMax
March 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Unknown, thank you for sharing Bert with us. I have never had the pleasure of getting first hand information from someone who loved one of these beauties...and you tell with such pride and also with very endearing memories I am sure.

It's funny - we all love animals regardless of species. Due to my naivite I would not even know the first questions to ask. I admire them from afar yet never took the time to ask about them...I am glad I did now. He sounded wonderful...and I can see that he was not only appreciated but loved as well.

Telling about him to us comes at a perfect time for me personally.

You may not know it, but your words are theraputic. Thank you.:grouphug:

Golden Girls
March 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
:rip: Bert I'm so sorry for your loss :(