Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bladder Stones

twarren71
March 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
My cat has bladder stones and she has had them for about 10 months. She is on special food. She has recently started to pee in places she shouldn't but she has done this in the past. There is no blood in her urine. She has not lost weight and she still likes to play. Would she be in constant pain/discomfort from the stones? The stones are small.

MyBirdIsEvil
March 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Not necessarily. If they're small stones there is probably some pain when passing them but it's not necessarily constant or extreme or anything.

What kind of food is she on? It should for sure be wet food, and certain brands are much better than others. You can also add some water to the food to help out.

sugarcatmom
March 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Do you know what type of stones they are (ie calcium oxalate? struvite? something else?)?

What is the special food she eats now and what was she eating before?

twarren71
March 10th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Right now she is on Medi-Cal Urinary SO and before she was eating Science Diet. She only eats dry food. (She does not like the wet).

The vet was not sure what kind of stones they are. The x-ray showed some "stuff" in her bladder and it has not increased/decreased in the last 10 months.

The reason why I took her to the vet recently is that I saw a drop of blood on the litter box and just assumed it was her but it turned out to be my other cat. If it wasn't for that blood I never would have taken her back to the vet because she does not look to be in pain. The vet is telling me she should have the surgery done because she is in constant pain. I do not want to spend $1,000. on surgery if it is not bothering her!

rjesak
March 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I just went through some really bad bladder stones with one of my cats. In his case, he was in extreme pain and had to have them surgically removed.

First off, there are a couple of ways to know if a cat is in pain:

For bladder stones specifically, my vet was able to tell that the wall of the bladder had thickened considerably. This is a sign of inflammation - which hurts of course. If your vet can make a determination, that would help.

Secondly, if your cat is licking her chops repeatedly while using the litter box or seems to be straining, that could be a sign that she is in pain. Also, if she is licking her genital area over much, that could also be a sign (that didn't work for Oscar - he's a typical male and licks his pretty near all the time:laughing:).

Thirdly, the fact that she is going outside the litter box may imply that she has had pain urinating and has begun to associate that pain with the litter box.

Fortunately, since she is female, it is less likely that she is in pain than a male cat would be.

All that said, I'm fairly near-certain that the (only occasional) dry food I was feeding Oscar was responsible for his bladder stones. It depends on the type of stones, but most dry food has been formulated in such a way that, while cutting down on the creation of struvite stones, can actually CAUSE calcium oxalate stones. I'd strongly recommend weaning your cat off the dry and onto a good quality wet. Oscar had his stones removed about a year ago, after which I removed all dry food from his diet, and when we checked him out recently, there was no sign of any new ones.

Good luck with your kitty! :goodvibes: