Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did I get a flea bite?

dollface
March 10th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Last night as I was petting Forest before I went to bed, my left index finger touched him first and all I felt was a stinging sensation in one spot. It's not red, just tingles/stings, and maybe a tiny bit swollen. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't me getting shocked either.

Is this a flea bite? Can fleas jump from cat to human and bite? Forest isn't showing any signs of having fleas, or any that I can tell from...

rjesak
March 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Fleas can certainly jump! I once went into a house which had a flea infestation. Fleas can only live in hair (where there's blood) but they often infest the carpets of a house if the pets are infested. We walked in and could feel them jumping around our ankles. Ugh!! :eek::yuck:

Usually, the bites are pretty tiny red bumps. They itch for a day or two and then go away (unless you have sensitive skin and you get so many from walking into an infested house that you end up having an allergic reaction like I did). :laughing:

Even indoor cats can get fleas. Look in his fur for either the fleas themselves, or what looks like pepper flakes - either is an indicator. If Forest is scratching or biting, check the area that he's messing with.

dollface
March 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks rjesak! My finger doesn't hurt anymore but that was really weird how it happened. I tried looking thru forest's fur, of course he wouldn't stay still but purring just the same. He is black and white and from what I could tell he only has a lot of dandruff. Maybe his dandruff bit me! lol