Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Picked her spot

Pink-ET
March 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM
My 13 week old bichon poo stays in the big bathroom during the day when we are at work. she has a bed, an area to pee (on pad) and food/water and toys.

While I am at work she pees (one very large one!!) and poo's on the pad. soon as I let her out when we come home she runs onto carpet and pees/poos!!! pretty much ALWAYS in my bedroom.

Last night we put a pad down on my side of the bed, she RAN to it, pee'd and poo'd. I put her in a crate (well pink dog tent with mesh windows:laughing:) on my bed at night and she woke once, settled back off. Then this morning I got up took her to the bathroom onto the pee pad, she refused to go. So I put a pad down my side of the bed again and she ran over, did a pee and a huge poo!!

What is this all about?? does she feel like the bathroom is a bad place because she is in there all day? she will HAPPILY go into the bathroom to her bed for a snooze when she is tired but to potty - NO WAY!!

Weird hey! maybe she just likes carpet. I did want to eventually get her outside, but its concrete so not fancying my chances of that much!

muggsmom
March 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
She probably thinks of the bathroom as her "den" and dogs don't like to mess their home. Are you planning on training her to go outside, or just use the pads all the time?

BTW, she's adorable!!

Pink-ET
March 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks!

Well I would like to have her go outside but there are 2 problems.

1) she is 3lb (tops she will get to be 8-10lb) and we can get a few feet of snow in winter

2) I am at work 3 days a week all day, so she is on her own then.

I am not sure how to transition her from pad to outside. we are in a raised ranch and we can't just move her pads closer and closer to the door as she will have to go out of 2 flights of stairs to the back grade entrance to get to grass, and she can't do stairs just yet.

This is harder than my 3 and 5 year old were to train :laughing:

Pink-ET
March 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Oh, by the way I just put her sleep tent (that I have next to my bed) in the bathroom with her little bed in so she will see that more as a den and the rest of the bedroom as her play place.....OH MY GOODNESS she just went into the bathroom on her own and pee'd on her pad HURRAY!!!! :D

Pink-ET
March 14th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Just thought I would post a pic of her set up, since I last posted and put her bed in the tent, she has been doing all of her business on her pads!! She sleeps in the tent there at night (but I move it onto my bedside table :sleepy:) and she sleeps all night too.

The white cupboard on the left has her pee pad in the bottom, its like it was made to measure

I feel like I have turned a huge corner!

Sib.HuskyMom
March 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
What a cutie!!! :lovestruck:

She probably likes to go to the carpeted area, because it's more the texture of grass.
If you plan on training her to go outside, I would start this ASAP. The longer you wait, the harder it will probably be.

soon as I let her out when we come home she runs onto carpet and pees/poos!!!

When puppies wake up (which is probably what's happening when you come home from work) they usually have to go to the bathroom immediately, because they're not very good at "holding" it yet.
Since she's just a wee thing :p, I would suggest picking her up, and carrying her outside and setting her on the grass. Then when she pees, praise her like crazy!
That way, you're setting her up for success and she'll get the message pretty quick. :thumbs up

As for the snow... :o I grew up with a little toy poodle, so I understand what you're saying there. We just always made sure that we shovelled a little path and area for him to pee and poo. As he got older, he enjoyed hoping throughout the snow to play, but always went back to the clear shovelled areas to do his business.

Hopefully we won't be getting too much more of the yucky white stuff this year anyway, so you won't have to worry about it! :fingerscr

Kay9
March 14th, 2010, 07:17 PM
What an adorable little cutie!:cloud9:

I would agree with the others that she needs to be learning to go out asap. She won't get it right away, but eventually she will. First thing in the morning, take her out of her little bed and put her outside. After every meal, same thing; right before you go to bed, same thing. She'll start to learn the routine. In this way, you're being proactive catching her pee and poop times, rather than being reactive. :thumbs up