Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dental surgery postponed...

Luvmypitgirls
March 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I have an infection, an absess (sp), they can't do anything until the infection is cleared up, :(
Ugh....I have had issues with my teeth my whole life, I inherited soft brittle teeth, not too mention since I was a teen the enamel on my teeth deteriorated at a rapid rate.
I was to have all the top ones removed then fitted for a top plate.
It has taken me years to summon up the courage, and now I've been postponed...:(

They say my bottom ones are still viable for now, so I was looking forward to having the top ones finally done.

So two weeks of heavy dosage biotics...and then they'll look at me again.

Dog Dancer
March 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Ouch!! :sick: I hope the drugs work and the pain goes away quickly. I've only ever once had to have a root canal, and I had an infection at the time. I figured they'd give me drugs to clear up the infection first, but they just dove right in. HURT!!! I would never let anybody do that again. Nope, I'd tell them - drugs first. Good luck to you LMPG, I do not envy you this.

Frenchy
March 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I've been there with the infection lmpg , whole side of my face was swollen , then I had to get the tooth removed ... I'm hoping it's going to be less painful for you :grouphug: I went through 3 kinds of painkillers and still , nothing could take that pain away :yell:

hazelrunpack
March 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Oh, ouch, LMPG! :grouphug: Will it be hard to make yourself go in the second time? :o Just think how great it will be to finally have it done and have your brand new smile!!! :goodvibes:

Luvmypitgirls
March 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Oh, ouch, LMPG! :grouphug: Will it be hard to make yourself go in the second time? :o Just think how great it will be to finally have it done and have your brand new smile!!! :goodvibes:

Yes it will be hard for me to go again, but I have no choice. Funny thing with this absess, I didn't know I had one. I have no pain with it. My face is a little swollen, but I didn't think anything of it.
They won't do work if there is any sign of a significant infection. I understand that, but it took everything I had to walk thru the door yesterday.
My doctor will give me another Ativan, when I go again. He's so awesome, he understands my anxiety.
I just look at him and say Dentist appt....off I go with a prescription for an Ativan tablet lol.
When I went to Vegas..."flying to Vegas." He wrote me a presription for 4 Ativan, two for the way there and two for the way home lol.

mummummum
March 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Are you rinsing with a hydrogen peroxide/ water mixture LMPG ? If not, that will help to flush the infection out. Oil of clove on your gums is also good for pain as well as fighting infection.

Frenchy ~ I remember that! You and I were in toofy agony at the same time! Yours lasted longer as I recall.

Luvmypitgirls
March 9th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Are you rinsing with a hydrogen peroxide/ water mixture LMPG ? If not, that will help to flush the infection out. Oil of clove on your gums is also good for pain as well as fighting infection.

Frenchy ~ I remember that! You and I were in toofy agony at the same time! Yours lasted longer as I recall.

I was rinsing with warm salt water...because my gums are a little inflammed, but maybe I should try the peroxide and water. Thank you for the suggestion.
Oil of clove for pain? I have never heard of Oil of clove, where can I get some?

quincymycat
March 9th, 2010, 09:40 PM
You should be able to find it in the holistic/health/nutrient stores. Just a tiny little bottle.
I guess you don't remember the movie "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman? The torturer would drill his tooth and then offer oil of cloves to relieve the pain......Not a good movie for people with morbid fears of dentistry...myself included in that group :laughing:

Luvmypitgirls
March 9th, 2010, 10:42 PM
You should be able to find it in the holistic/health/nutrient stores. Just a tiny little bottle.
I guess you don't remember the movie "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman? The torturer would drill his tooth and then offer oil of cloves to relieve the pain......Not a good movie for people with morbid fears of dentistry...myself included in that group :laughing:

Oh God NO, found hubby watching it one night...I couldn't stand it, literally made me ill.
Yes I have a morbid fear of dentistry, I have a morbid fear of any situation where I am knocked out and other ppl are messin' wiff my body in any way....:eek:

mummummum
March 9th, 2010, 10:58 PM
LMPG ~ you can believe this or not but, I have the gums to prove it should anyone doubt me... I pulled out two of my own molars just to avoid going to the dentist. So, I totally understand your phobia!

Luvmypitgirls
March 11th, 2010, 02:38 PM
LMPG ~ you can believe this or not but, I have the gums to prove it should anyone doubt me... I pulled out two of my own molars just to avoid going to the dentist. So, I totally understand your phobia!

:eek:...I couldn't do that, but I do wait until I can't take it anymore before I'll go to a dentist.

Winston
March 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
LMPG did the dentist give you some antibiotics? if so they will kick in real fast! I had a root canal done and I had an abcess...I had 11 needles for freezing one after another because when its infected it fights the freezing so it doesnt last as long as it would normally so I FEEL you pain...I will never forget it wither because the Dentist was teaching someone and he decided to mention that I had blah blah blah infection running down into my throat..was I ever embarrassed! I know too much info..

We have a dentist in our area that apparently will put you out for cleaning!

Good Luck...

Luvmypitgirls
March 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM
LMPG did the dentist give you some antibiotics? if so they will kick in real fast! I had a root canal done and I had an abcess...I had 11 needles for freezing one after another because when its infected it fights the freezing so it doesnt last as long as it would normally so I FEEL you pain...I will never forget it wither because the Dentist was teaching someone and he decided to mention that I had blah blah blah infection running down into my throat..was I ever embarrassed! I know too much info..

We have a dentist in our area that apparently will put you out for cleaning!

Good Luck...

11 needles!....Good grief!:eek:
I am hoping that the denturist will see how terrified I am and decide to have me put under instead of putting me thru hours on the chair freaking out.
:pray:...I don't remember ever being this afraid.

Luvmypitgirls
March 25th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Had two teeth pulled today, out of sheer necessity, can't have the rest pulled just yet. My bottom teeth have been deemed ok, for the most part so I won't be losing them just yet. Still have to stay on antibiotics for another 7-10 days..they've been making me soooo sick.:(
Anyway, it was hell just having the two pulled, I am not looking forward to the rest....this just sucks big time:cry:

hazelrunpack
March 25th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Oh, but you're going to feel so much better when it's all done, LMPG :grouphug: You just have to hang tough for a while longer.

Were the teeth you had pulled today the ones that had the infection in them? If so, better out than in!

Hope you feel better soon! :goodvibes:

TeriM
March 25th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Wow, this really sucks :(. Hope you feel better soon :goodvibes:.

Luvmypitgirls
March 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Oh, but you're going to feel so much better when it's all done, LMPG :grouphug: You just have to hang tough for a while longer.

Were the teeth you had pulled today the ones that had the infection in them? If so, better out than in!

Hope you feel better soon! :goodvibes:

They are all infected, these two were causing me immense pain so as scared as I was, I let him pull them, I didn't get to my doctor for Ativan either...it was brutal. I cried cuz I was scared, and I cried cuz I was in pain...still am, and I know in the end this will all be worth it, but it still sucks:cry:

Luvmypitgirls
March 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Wow, this really sucks :(. Hope you feel better soon :goodvibes:.

Thank you TeriM....:)