Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Training Problems / Consuming Own Waste

newdoxiemom
March 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Hi, I am a new Mom to 2 Doxie pups, born in late November of last year. We have had them for a month now.

First, I know I have made some mistakes. We just moved to this area from halfway across the country and we put a deposit down on 2 registered long haired Daschund pups before we got here. Once we arrived, we picked them up and we were not thrilled with the conditions at the breeder's house, but by that time we were obligated, and we also felt like it was a bit of a rescue.

Once we got them home we realized that they had no potty training at all. We believe that in fact the pups were kept inside all of the time in a small exercise pen.

One of them is very shy and seems as if he has been injured at some point. The other is very rambunctious and is almost double the size of the other one.

We are attempting to potty train, while keeping in a large exercise pen during the day and a crate at night. We are taking them out every hour on the hour all through the day and I am getting up every 2 hours at night to take them out. We keep them on a leash and harness to go out because otherwise we end up chasing them around the yard. They go to the bathroom outside just fine. They also go to the bathroom inside just fine, at least urination. They have not had a BM inside the house, at least not that i have found, other than once or twice.

The biggest problem is that they really prefer to consume their own waste. They urinate and drink it up so fast you can hardly get to them. They even try to drink it if they are outside and go in the dirt. They are slowing down on the consumption of the fecal matter, but I think that is only because we have been giving them ForBid at the recommendation of the vet.

I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with a pet drinking their own urine and eating their own feces. I am also wondering what kind of timeline we are looking at for potty training, and if anyone has any hints.

Thank you!

shmo
March 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Oh! My puppy has the same problem too! He's a 10 month old morkie. He doesn't drink his own urine but he does consume his fecal matter sometimes. How can we stop him from doing so?

Thanks!

luckypenny
March 8th, 2010, 09:01 PM
For the housetraining, here's a good article: http://clicktreat.blogspot.com/2008/12/house-training-puppy.html

As for the consuming of poop/pee, you can teach your dogs the "leave it" cue. An excellent video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc&feature=PlayList&p=F09632A4A4BD3DDC&index=2

The trick is to set them up for success. Be with your dogs outdoors and, if need be, keep them on leash while you are teaching them. And don't forget to clean up after them immediately ;).

kandy
March 10th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I've never seen a dog drink their own urine, feces yes, but not urine. Do they have any problems with their drinking water? Do they appear dehydrated?

As for the feces, there are lots of possible reasons why they consume it. The food you are feeding can be a contributing factor to that. Most of the time the dog will grow out of this behavior, although not always. In the meantime, the 'leave it' command is a good one to teach and of course restricting their access to their own waste. If they consume their waste perhaps as a learned response to punishment for accidents - then it could take a long time to recondition that response. Patience and consistency will get you through.

Stinkycat
March 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Luna use sometimes eats her own poo if left alone, we did the "leave it" command, and brought her in instantly and picked it up. Now unless she's left alone for a long period of time, she won't eat it.

Pink-ET
March 14th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Lola climbs into the cat litter and takes a "kitty treat" :yuck:

I told one of my patients and they assured me this was normal and that their dog did the same. They told the vet apparently, and the vet said it is not harmful at all, in fact it gives them protein :yuck: again!!!!

My husband FREAKED OUT when he caught Lola doing it. :laughing: He was trying to fish it out of her mouth double :yuck: