Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Things people shoul. d not say out loud

ancientgirl
March 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
This morning I went to get the gang's food. While I was waiting for the guy to get my order out from the back room, another sales guy was helping a lady looking for dog food. He gave her a price on this one brand (I don't know the brand) and he said $83.00. the lady says, "For a 25 pound bag? I love my dog but not that much."

Okay, I'm well aware that really good quality pet food is pricey. I love my gang and I would love nothing more than to find the absolute very best food for them no matter what the cost. But, my finances only allow me to get the best I can afford. I just found that woman's comment sad. I mean, say, "I love my dog and I wish I could get that food, but I just can't afford it." Maybe I'm just too sensitive about how some people see their pets.:shrug:

Frenchy
March 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I totally understand what you're saying.

A cousin of mine found me on Facebook. This was about the same time when Nelly spent the week end at the emergency clinic. My cousin was telling me about her older dog .... that next time the dog would get sick , she would have her put down. :frustrated:

So .... trying to stay polite , I explain about Nelly being at the emergency , how I just lost my job but that , it wasn't Nelly's problem and that I would do what it takes if needed , because Nelly is my responsability ....

so my cousin's reply : well , I like my dog but , I like my wallet even more !

me = :frustrated: and .... I stopped writing after that. :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
March 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Exactly right Frenchy. I do all I can for my gang. It's hard when you are low on funds, but you do what you can to keep them healthy or get them treated. I spend more on their food, treats and vet visits than I do on myself. 1. because I love them more than I can express in words and 2. because they are my responsibility.

joeysmama
March 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
One time I was setting up for an event and the other woman who was heading the ministry with me said for everyone to go home and come back in the morning. But I wanted to stay the extra hour and finish up and so did a couple other people. Besides that fact that it made sense to just finish (it only took an extra 45 minutes, if that) this was when Joey was very sick and he had an appointment the next morning. So I told her that I would finish up even if no one else could stay because Joey had a vet appointment and an x-ray in the morning and the vet said that we had to talk about having him pts. And of course you can imagine that I wasn't exactly dry eyed telling her this.

And SHE said...

"Well can't Tom do that?":frustrated::wall:

Oh yeah sure, it's just another errand. Let's see, get gas in the car, put the dog down, go to the post office, pick up milk.:frustrated:

ancientgirl
March 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM
One time I was setting up for an event and the other woman who was heading the ministry with me said for everyone to go home and come back in the morning. But I wanted to stay the extra hour and finish up and so did a couple other people. Besides that fact that it made sense to just finish (it only took an extra 45 minutes, if that) this was when Joey was very sick and he had an appointment the next morning. So I told her that I would finish up even if no one else could stay because Joey had a vet appointment and an x-ray in the morning and the vet said that we had to talk about having him pts. And of course you can imagine that I wasn't exactly dry eyed telling her this.

And SHE said...

"Well can't Tom do that?":frustrated::wall:

Oh yeah sure, it's just another errand. Let's see, get gas in the car, put the dog down, go to the post office, pick up milk.:frustrated:

How insensitive! It amazes me how totally void of feelings some people can be with it comes to animals.

NoahGrey
March 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I hate comments like that or well people's actions. My aunt/uncle used to have a dog. The dog needed surgery that was going to cost $1200. They ended up putting the dog down, due them not being able to afford it...then turn around a few weeks later and by a $2000 hottub. Needless to say this was a few years ago, and I still not have step foot into the hottub.

ACO22

ancientgirl
March 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
My first cat was killed by our neighbor's dog, when I was in high school. I only found out what actually happened a year later, when I heard my mom talking to my aunt. I had been told he ran away. I went to my room and cried. My dad came in and said I shouldn't be crying that people don't cry over animals. At the time my mother was dying of cancer, and he said I should be thinking of my mom, not some cat.

I've never forgotten that comment. The day I found Vlad, I was at my dad's house, but he'd gone to pick something up at the market. Right before he came back, one of their neighbors said she would take me to her vet, because they had kittens. While waiting for the neighbor, I told my aunt and my dad's wife how much that comment hurt me and still bothered me. Well, my dad's wife looked at me and said, "He's softend up, because last year when we had to put our little dog down, because he was too sick he cried like a baby."

Now he always asks me how the kids are, and he always includes them when he sends me a Christmas card. Sometimes, people do change.

cell
March 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I read this thread then realized maybe it was me who said it, so I came back and checked the location (in USA so not me) haha. But I did say something along those lines about something in a dog store the other day.
I think it was a really expensive toy or coat or something unnessicary and my reaction was "I love my dog but not that much". Dogs do often enjoy the simple things in life, so they really don't need a 80$ designer coat or something like that.
My dog does get good food though, and because we get the small bags, it's not that expensive. If you have a big dog, you have to expect big expenses for maintainance.

marko
March 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I agree not the best thing to say aloud.

But I can easily see why the comment was made. Most people are on a budget, it's as simple as that. Most people have kids that require extra money on all kinds of things. 85 dollars IS a lot of money for a bag of dog food and I can easily imagine the shock on this person's face when they got that price quote.

Of course many of us (myself included) spend that kind of cash on petfood, but we are not the norm...

This guy's comment was likely a gut reaction...but i agree, should have kept it to himself.

"Holy Moly" or "Geez that's expensive" would have been more appropriate imo...and THAT reaction may have gotten the clerk to explain about food quality and how better food is more expensive :2cents:

BenMax
March 8th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I think what she meant was that she loves her dog but the food is busting her bank. I can totally relate as my pets cost me far more than feeding myself. The food is ridiculously expensive. Owning a pet nowadays is a luxuary that many can no longer afford.

What she said was something she should not have voiced, but maybe it was to express her displeasure with the crazy prices that is attached to dogfood. And let's face it - we feel very guilty if we cannot buy the best. I know I do.

marko
March 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
And let's face it - we feel very guilty if we cannot buy the best. I know I do.

I absolutely hear ya BM, ....and I think some of us are making a mistake.

If we don't feed ourselves "The best" because of budget, then for me it does not make sense to feed our pets "The best" when money is tight.
A good pet food is fine imo. :2cents:

Still - the original provocative comment... not cool.

BenMax
March 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I absolutely hear ya BM, ....and I think some of us are making a mistake.

If we don't feed ourselves "The best" because of budget, then for me it does not make sense to feed our pets "The best" when money is tight.
A good pet food is fine imo. :2cents:

Still - the original provocative comment... not cool.

I agree that it was a strange comment..but if she was there buying the food -then she infact does love her dog 'that much'. If not, she would no longer have him/her.

And yes - I used to feed Maddox and Julia Solid Gold. I have had no choice but to change to Acana. I am saving about 30.00$ per month this way. Also I went through 1 can of Merrick for the dogs a day...LP coached me on feeding my dogs now human grade meat. Again another saving. And the cats...I don't even want to go there. I tried going from California Blend to Chicken Soup ...no go. And they also eat Wellness can......there is no turning back for them.

So yes - the comment was dumb...but if she were a member on Pets...she would meet great people like I did that educate on how to start saving with just a bit more effort.

ancientgirl
March 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
BM, the food in question was Solid Gold. After she made her comment, the sales guy said there was another brand, just as good for $60.00, if she wanted that. She walked out with nothing. I got the feeling she walked in, seeing it was a small store and thought the food would be cheaper, but this place doesn't sell any brands you would find at the supermarket or Petco/Petsmart. They only sell stuff like Innova, Merricks, Solid Gold, Orijen etc...

I feed my cats the best I can afford at the moment. I totally get that many people are on a budget, but man did it bother me that she felt she needed to voice the value of her dog when it came to his food.

BenMax
March 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I hear you AncientGirl..it was uncalled for.

marko
March 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
......but if she were a member on Pets...she would meet great people like I did that educate on how to start saving with just a bit more effort.

I wholeheartedly agree...way too many people feed their pets junk and junk is bad for people and dogs. If they did come around here and learned a few food facts, they might not buy the Cadillac of foods due to budget....but they might well buy a better grade of food than the one they are currently feeding...

ancientgirl
March 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I wholeheartedly agree...way too many people feed their pets junk and junk is bad for people and dogs. If they did come around here and learned a few food facts, they might not buy the Cadillac of foods due to budget....but they might well buy a better grade of food than the one they are currently feeding...

Too true. A little education and asking questions can go a long way. At least you would find out what the best food you could afford would be. That's a start I think.

kandy
March 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I agree that it was a really bad thing to say, like the dog is a sweater or something (i love this but not that much) when you see the price tag. Maybe it would've went differently if the clerk would ask the customers how much they were willing to spend before recommending a brand and causing sticker shock. I have people ask me about dog food quite often, referred from other friends or colleagues. I always try to talk to them first about the quality of ingredients, what you don't want, and how to read the labels. If they ask me to recommend a food, the first thing I ask then is how much they can afford. There are decent foods out there for even $50 for a big bag. Luckily I can afford to feed my dogs what I choose but for a long time I was uneducated about dog food, and like alot of the general public I think, based my choices on their advertising. I thought Pedigree was a good food and that we were "spoiling" our dogs by buying something so expensive. To be used to paying $16 for a huge bag, and then be told you should be feeding this stuff that $85 for a much smaller bag? Ya, that tends to freak people out unless they know why it costs that much.

Kay9
March 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM
It could have simply been a joking comment. I wasn't there obviously, but I can see myself saying that in pure irony. And I LOVE Buddy with all the air I have to breathe.

I really think people take things waay too seriously sometimes.

ancientgirl
March 12th, 2010, 07:16 AM
It could have simply been a joking comment. I wasn't there obviously, but I can see myself saying that in pure irony. And I LOVE Buddy with all the air I have to breathe.

I really think people take things waay too seriously sometimes.

Sorry, but I wouldn't say that joking, especially in a place with strangers who don't know me. Her comment made her look like a jerk, and not only did I think that, but the look on the sales person's face said he did too.

Golden Girls
March 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
hey welcome back Kandy :highfive: it's great to see you posting again :)
Maybe it would've went differently if the clerk would ask the customers how much they were willing to spend before recommending a brand and causing sticker shockExactly and instead walked out with nothing :headslap:

kandy
March 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM
hey welcome back Kandy :highfive: it's great to see you posting again :)
Exactly and instead walked out with nothing :headslap:

Thanks GG - been just a tad busy. LOL :crazy:

I do think some people that would be willing to feed better foods get blind-sided by the cost and end up not switching. I just think it's less of a shocker for them if you prepare them and teach them about the advantages of a good food and how it actually costs you less in the long run BEFORE you tell them how much it is. But sticker shock or not, the comment the woman made - even if she didn't mean it how it sounded - was not cool.