Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tails from the Barkside - Dogwalking week of March 1 - 2010

marko
March 6th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I know member Scuba chronicled his dogwalking at his local shelter for quite a while and I think I will start to do the same. It's hard for me to believe that I have been doing this weekly for about 3.5 years, but time, she does fly fast. I started dogwalking primarily because I was inspired by the many people involved in rescue on this board. Rescuers, you rock! I'm going to try to chronicle this dogwalking not weekly, but regularly, from now on. If anyone is interested in volunteer dogwalking in Montreal, feel free to PM me and it will be my pleasure to put you in contact with the right people.

I am very lucky because although some of the dogs are shy and fearful, the majority of dogs are excited to get out there with me for around 15 minutes. I try to give them some exercise, pet them and let them do their business. Occasionally, I'll bond very strongly with a dog in that 15 minutes and it's sad when they have to return to their cages. That happened this week with a Saint Bernard whose name I do not know.

This week was a great week to walk dogs. Weather was great and so were the dogs. My most memorable walk was with a massive St. Bernard that has kennel cough.

WHAT a gentle giant he is...I so hope he gets adopted quickly. Even though we are primarily there to walk the dogs, I always try to spend a few minutes on my knees at the dog's level and pet the dog. They need to know that many humans are good and the positive sensation of touch (and massage) is very important for them. Well, I went out with the Saint Bernard and I liked him right away. What a sweetie! So we walk for a bit and because he's humongous and his back is easily within arm's reach, I give him a few pets and he responds immediately. So I figure now is a good time for a few minutes of petting/rubs. I swear to you his tail moved so fast it created that swooshing light-saber sound from star wars:D and and in the middle of the petting session, with that huge hairy tail wagging broadly, this beast of a dog plopped to the ground, got on its back, and went bonkers for belly rubs. This dog got a GREAT belly rubbing from me, and he enjoyed every second of it. His paws moved and flailed uncontrollably all over the place and it cracked me up. I must admit, this dooger got at least 5 extra minutes with me. I tried hard to take a pic with my phone - but all i got was blur...Best walk of the night by far!

The other notable event was seeing this baby Pit bull from a mom and litter that was seized from a byb. I don't think I have EVER seen a pit bull that young before. I forget but I think it was only 8 weeks old. (The picture is misleading because the puppy was shot from so close). I thought the pittie was mixed with a Sharpei as from another angle that face was so cute and wrinkly - but i was told, no. Pure pitty. Anyway I gave the teeny bugger a few soft pets.

Thanks for listening - pic quality is poor because of cameraphone but just looook at those cuties anyway :) .

Golden Girls
March 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM
It must be very rewarding Marko, without a doubt your making a huge difference brightening their lives, thank you :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
From the very huge to the teeny tiny! :cloud9: They're both adorable, Marko--and they're very lucky to have such caring volunteers to interact with them!

:goodvibes: for happy homes for them both!

Melinda
March 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM
both so gorgeous, what a nice change it must be for you to take them out in the fresh air, I honestly don't know if I could do what you do, it would kill me to put them back....bless you and those like you.

mummummum
March 7th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Are you going to Blog about it Marko?

marko
March 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the comments. I must say we have great volunteers over there. Lots and lots of dedication.

Melinda it was tough the first month or so, but then like anything else you desensitize.

I was debating blogging about this versus a post...
Still not sure....hmmmm.

mummummum
March 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Ummmm.. being a knownot, what's the diff? The ability of others to comment?

marko
March 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
It's really a matter of location more than anything else...given that the entries are somewhat personal and the pets.ca blog is more 'educational', I thought here might be the better place.....:shrug:

mikischo
March 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Both are beautiful dogs.:lovestruck: I especially love the second pic where the St. Bernard is on his back getting some lovin'.

Bless you and others who take the time to do this. It means so much to them.

Thank's for posting this.

mummummum
March 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
It's really a matter of location more than anything else...given that the entries are somewhat personal and the pets.ca blog is more 'educational', I thought here might be the better place.....:shrug:

GOTCHA...and here you go for a title: "Marko's Tails from the Barkside"

marko
March 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
This week was another great week for dogwalking and it was 12 degrees C on the day I went out (woohoo)

I spent most of my shift walking the dogs with Kennel cough. They have to be separated from all the other dogs because kennel cough is so contagious. They also get walked on a different route then the other dogs.

A new Saint Bernard (no kennel cough) came in last week and he looked so similar to the dog I walked two weeks ago I thought it was the same dog. It wasn't though. It always amazes me just how big their heads are. I pity the poor mom that gave birth to him. Ouch!

I must say I LOVE big dogs...I mean I love all dogs but I double love the bigger ones for some reason. This Saint Bernard was a bit shy with me. I petted him quite a bit but he did not respond much, he was nervous. As a newer dog, hopefully that nervousness will go away after a few days...

My funnest dog this week... a black German Shepherd mix with a bandage on his foot. He probably had an IV attached to his leg - hopefully for spay/neuter. (I never ask the details...I'm just there to walk). This dog had bad kennel cough, except he did not know that he was sick. He LOVED going outside with me and we bonded really fast. What a sweet gentle dog - and so good lookin'; I expect him to get adopted pretty quickly once the kennel cough is over. Anyhoo, as always I like to give the doogers some good petting for a few minutes...and this one plopped to the ground just like the last Berner from 2 weeks ago. (If only I was this persuasive with the chicks back in college :laughing: ) I gave the dog some seriously good belly rubs and the dog was happy. Best walk of the night by far!

Thanks for listening and here's 2 pix.
Marko

Melinda
March 19th, 2010, 04:03 PM
ohhhh two more beautiful doggies!!! Do you know if the saint B from last week was adopted (if he was over his cough)? or the baby pit?? It could be possible that the saints were from the same litter or breeder even! The weather has been gorgeous here for walking, not sure about the paths you take but if they are anything like our bike path................do NOT walk a lab if you want a dry puppy!! Brina hits every single puddle in a 3 mile radius, I swear!!! Keep up the wonderful job!!

Frenchy
March 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
and this one plopped to the ground just like the last Berner from 2 weeks ago. (If only I was this persuasive with the chicks back in college :laughing: )

:laughing:

omg :lovestruck: Marko you're killing me with pics of St-Bernards ... and they're up for adoption :yell: :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Step away from the Saints, Frenchy :eek:

They're both absolutely beautiful! :flirt: They both have lovely smiles. And hazel does admire a lovely smile when she comes across one. :D

Frenchy
March 19th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Step away from the Saints, Frenchy :eek:

I know I know :(

marko
March 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks for all the comments!
Melinda I almost never ask questions when I'm there. I never search for dogs that I walked previously and I rarely ask about them...I just always hope that they got adopted.

In the beginning I did ask a few questions...and I almost quit. That's MY defense mechanism... And I'm not the only sensitive guy there...a couple of guys that I used to walk dogs with simply could not handle it. I can totally handle it 99% of the time, so long as I ask no questions...

Until the next entry - thanks for reading:)

babymomma
March 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'll take the Dark sable GSD.. Kthnx Marko!

marko
March 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
This week was a very tough dogwalking week. The first 3 dogs that I walked had no business being up for adoption. First off they are on a special list and can only be walked by experienced dogwalkers like myself. They were all large, mouthy dogs (meaning all 3 nipped me on multiple occasions during the walk) and all three need extra and individual training before they can be adopted.... and yet they are available to the general public right now. Hmmm. (Please note I want to keep these entries positive so i won't comment on this further...I'd rather focus on the next paragraph :goodvibes:)

My last dooger was a four month old puppy and he made me leave with a smile. He was so cute....and so timid. He didn't want to walk at all; I had to carry him outdoors and it was obvious that he had not been outside much. He just lied down and refused to walk. So I picked him up and cuddled him for a bit and after a few minutes I put him down on some steps away from the shelter and he became less timid and started taking a few steps. When I brought him back to the shelter a pile of girls surrounded him and me and we all did the " he's sooooo cute thing :D". Supposedly the dooger was already slated to be adopted in a few days.

Here's a couple of pix - sorry they are not better quality...all taken with a point and shoot not my rocket DSLR. Until the next entry.... thanks for listening and thanks for the title mumx3 - I used it :)

Rottielover
March 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Amanda tried to have her mom introduce her dog and the female dogo argentine that is there, :( did not work out bad match. BUT Amanda will continue to look for her moms next there. :)