Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thought I'd share

14+kitties
March 6th, 2010, 07:30 AM
There was a great article in the local paper yesterday. I don't know if it made it to the bigger papers so I thought I would share it here. I am not up on the breed bans but I am learning all the time. :o

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news/article/627479--great-article#Comments

mummummum
March 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM
That is a good article. More and more media are getting on the band-wagon (forgive the groaner plz).

If you live in Ontario and have not yet written to your MPP supporting Cheri Di Novo's Bill 222 requesting the repeal of Bill 132 please do. Banning dogs by breed affects ALL of us!

cassiek
March 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting this 14+.

I found this part especially interesting:

A study published in the Canadian Veterinary Journal in 2008 found that out of 28 dog-bite related fatalities in Canada between 1990 and 2007, only one was caused by a breed banned under DOLA, an American Staffordshire terrier. Dogs most responsible for fatalities in that same period were listed as huskies, shepherds and Rottweiller-type dogs. According to the study, those breeds were responsible for 65 per cent of dog attack deaths.

According to a similar study in the United States, it was found that the top biters by breed are German Shepherds, Rottweillers, Cocker Spaniels, and Golden Retrievers. While it may be shocking for some to see the most common pet, a Golden Retriever, in the top four, itís a reality, said Strooband.

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I wish her all success in getting her bill passed :goodvibes: Sure looks like a step in the right direction, anyway :highfive:

Please keep us posted if you hear more!

chico2
March 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Thank's 14+,I was also impressed by Mr Hudak,if he can change this :evil:law,he'll certainly have my vote next election,when McGuinty and his Liberal tax-gougers get kicked out:thumbs up

Kay9
March 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for posting this 14+.

I found this part especially interesting:

A study published in the Canadian Veterinary Journal in 2008 found that out of 28 dog-bite related fatalities in Canada between 1990 and 2007, only one was caused by a breed banned under DOLA, an American Staffordshire terrier. Dogs most responsible for fatalities in that same period were listed as huskies, shepherds and Rottweiller-type dogs. According to the study, those breeds were responsible for 65 per cent of dog attack deaths.

According to a similar study in the United States, it was found that the top biters by breed are German Shepherds, Rottweillers, Cocker Spaniels, and Golden Retrievers. While it may be shocking for some to see the most common pet, a Golden Retriever, in the top four, itís a reality, said Strooband.

I saw that too. I wonder about the non-fatalities though. Did that sway the idiots in parliament?

Great link and post. :thumbs up