Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I challenge you

onster
March 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM
to say something nice to a total stranger soon :D Or even pass on a smile :thumbs up

At the gym yesterday morning as I was moving from machine to machine (from the stairmaster :evil: evil evil evil thing to the treadmil) I looked up to see a woman on the treadmil kinda staring at me as I walked past. Even tho I was still all heaving for breath (again evil evil stairmaster), I flashed her a smile (what else to do when someone is staring at u?) and then went back to my workout.

About half hour later as I was leaving the gym, this woman came walking up beside me and said "Young lady I just wanted to say you have a beautiful smile, you have a lovely day now"

Well now that had me beaming for the rest of the day :D Good way to end an early morning workout eh :highfive:

Doesn't it feel just great when you get a random compliment from a stranger? (and theyre not a creepy person hitting on u :laughing::frustrated:)

14+kitties
March 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I accept your challenge my friend. :D Actually, I try to do that every day at work with almost every customer. If I get a particularly grumpy one I go out of my way to get a smile from them before they leave the store. I would say 95% of the time I succeed.
I have one gentleman in his late sixties who is Mr Miserable. I know he likes me. Calls me kiddo (not) and will chat to me about hubby's work and stuff. But do you think I can get a smile from him most days. Nope. So when he does smile it makes my day extra special. I also have a wonderful man who comes in a scooter almost every day to pick up the markdowns. He is 89 years old. He has brought me down pictures of his wife and shared with me his life with her. He loved her very much and misses her every day. :( But it makes me feel wonderful that he feels comfortable enough with me to share that. :lovestruck:
'Course you do get the creepy ones who hit on you. Yes, at my age. :o Just because you smile at them or engage them in conversation they think you want to jump their bones. Big no there!!
Ok, shared too much again........
Next............

mummummum
March 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I do the "Good Morning!" thing when I'm out with the dawgs first thing in the a.m. I am NOT a morning person and I find by plastering a smile on and being as close to perky as a semi-comatose uncaffeinated person can be, I usually end up being in quite a pleasant mood by the time we come home!

But I will accept your challenge and be ultra-pleasant if I have to deal with anyone who is exceptionally cranky today. Good challenge!

krdahmer
March 6th, 2010, 10:35 AM
That's awesome! I learned to be friendly from my dad. He talks to everyone, and greets/acknowledges everyone he sees with a smile, hello or a nod. He always stopped to talk to the people most people shy away from, like homeless, mentally or physically challenged people... I've always admired that about him. He loves to joke and make everyone smile (of course no one laughs more at his jokes than he does! :rolleyes::laughing:).

I think I am much the same.... especially at work, where it is my job to make the ladies (and men, yes men) feel good about themselves! I have been told many times that I have a great smile, and I do my best to use it as often as possible. :D

So that's a challenge I'm up to every day!

(and that lady was right you have a beautiful smile Onster!!!):2huggers:

(and of course those men hit on ya 14.... you're hot stuff!!! http://bestsmileys.com/love1/5.gif )

luckypenny
March 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I wish I would have seen this early this morning...I would have started with my crusty marshmallow (aka dh) :D.

I've had a mean customer the past many years....miserable, grouchy, insulting, down right rude older gentleman. Every employee we've had has avoided serving him so I've always done it. He came in about 2 months ago and I noticed he was using a walker and was having great difficulty walking (I had to help him up a step into the store). He wasn't mean that day. Ever since, my son and I bring groceries, a warm meal, and do some ironing for him every Sunday after work. He always has coffee and cookies, and wonderful stories to share with us. It's taken 26 years but we've managed to make him smile :cloud9:.

Great thread Onster! I'll certainly be smiling at everyone I see today :).

Frenchy
March 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Now this will come as a surprise for some but .... :D

It's not a challenge for me , I do this all the time. :shrug: I usually do smile to people because I like when people do the same :shrug: and when I do errands , I will often crack a joke or have a small conversation with the cashiers , as I find they have a rotten jobs and have to deal with not so friendly people every day :cool:

since I hate being in crowded places , it helps me as well :D

Melinda
March 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I talk to all strangers, I pick up hitch hikers (in our small town only)if I have brina in the car with me, I stop for broken down cars and chit chat with people in line ups, I met my best friend in a line up for a job 33 yrs ago, we both got hired and have been like sisters ever since. I carry play toys in my purse that I pick up on sale and have often helped quieted children in restaraunts (can you tell I'm in daycare?) In our motorcycle group I was granted the name and given a patch for my vest that says "Friend"..........I wear it with pride.

otter
March 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm with you Onster :thumbs up

No matter how crappy I may be feeling, giving a smile or compliment to a stranger always makes my mood a little lighter.

It's a bit of a tradition here in my little town to say "hi" to everyone you pass, and give a friendly wave even to people as you pass by while driving.
When I first moved here I couldn't figure out how everyone knew who I was :laughing: Makes for a warm and fuzzy feeling :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
March 6th, 2010, 03:07 PM
But the only grumpy people I see are hubby and madame hazel. :o Actually, the only people I see unless the inlaws are out. :rolleyes:

I'll have to keep this thread in mind next time I take a trip into town. :thumbs up

It's not a challenge for me , I do this all the time. I usually do smile to people because I like when people do the same and when I do errands , I will often crack a joke or have a small conversation with the cashiers , as I find they have a rotten jobs and have to deal with not so friendly people every day

And you said you had no people skills! :p Sounds pretty good to me! :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
March 6th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Perfect timing Onster!

Today I was standing behind an elderly lady at the check out. She was was in one of the wheel chaired carts and had a case of pop and 2 reusable bags of purchases. After the teller checked her out, the teller rung my one item through but I was too busy helping this lady put her items back into her cart before completing my transaction! She touched my hand and said a very sincere thank you to which I replied, "oh you're so welcome!" :angel:

I little common courtesy goes a long way! :thumbs up

joeysmama
March 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I love to chat with strangers in the store, in a check out line etc. You know what I've noticed lately, young moms seem so harried and if their child is standing in the way they seem SO GRATEFUL when you're patient about it. The poor kid is 3 feet high, he's on a long boring errand and he can't help it if he's standing in an aisle with a cardborad display in the middle of it and people are trying to get by. They're not being bad or running around the store, they just went to stand by their mom and some grump comes up and acts all impatient. I like to smile and say something nice to the mom and the kids and you can almost see mommy's face relax like someone took an iron to it.

And older people like to talk about what they're buying sometimes and many of them live alone and have long hours of no one to talk to. If a senior citizen wants to give me advice about what to do with a graham cracker crust I am going to try to look as though she's telling me the meaning of life. Everyone wants to feel useful. In fact one of our favorite dinners came about because I took the advice of a lady in the produce aisle! :thumbs up

Frenchy
March 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
And you said you had no people skills! :p Sounds pretty good to me! :thumbs up

Only because I get too leave after a few minutes :laughing:

ancientgirl
March 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I talk to strangers all the time. When I see someone wearing something I like, I'll tell them. It's always nice when someone tells you how nice your hair looks or what a pretty piece of jewelry you might be wearing.

Dog Dancer
March 9th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I get told that I have a smile in my voice when I'm on the phone at work. That's nice to hear. Now why doesn't it surprise me to see how wonderful and friendly the people on this board are???

I also try to be friendly with strangers when I'm out walking or shopping. I will routinely let someone with a smaller order go ahead of me in the store checkout lines. A smile costs nothing to give so I try to give it freely.

What nice people we have here.