Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hifrm Netasha & some advice needed

Netasha
March 5th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Hi e1. New here today. I read ALL the info on the home page. It was very interesting and enlightening but I have a "Q".
Does any1 know how I can get my aprox 1yr old adopted cat to retract her claws? She has a bad habit of grabbing things and getting her claws caught up. I have a scratching platform for her but she still gets her nails in the rugs, my bedding and my shoulders and arms when she's had enough petting or just stretching as a cat will. She also likes to climb up on my lap via digging her claws into my legs. We don't want to de-claw her but am looking to see if any1 has any advice before I run out of the antibacterial salve. :shrug::pray:
Tks Net.

hazelrunpack
March 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I don't have much cat experience, but does it help if you clip her claws? Or should I ask if she'll let you clip her claws? :o Would those soft paws nail covers help, do you think?

Now I'm tapped out for advice :laughing: I'm inundated by dogs here. :o No cats.

Welcome to the board and I'm sure there will be someone with some feline experience along shortly! :D

growler~GateKeeper
March 5th, 2010, 01:29 AM
When you say "getting her claws caught up" do you mean her claw is stuck in the carpet & she needs help to release her claw or it takes her a few minutes to get herself unstuck?

If yes then she needs her nails clipped, you can take her in to the vets & have them show you how to clip her nails, and how far you can trim them without cutting the quick or they can do it for you for a minimal charge. I find that cats usually need their nails cut every 3-4 weeks depending on how fast they grow, if the nails grow too long they can actually curl back & cut into their paws.

If no & you are concerned with damage done by her scratching there is a product called Soft Paws (http://www.softpaws.com/) it is safe & effective and does no permanent damage to your cat that de-clawing does.

I am very happy to hear you do not want to declaw your cat :thumbs up as declawing actually cuts off the first "knuckle" of the cats toes and removes the claws leaving the cat with no natural defense should she ever escape outside. Declawing also causes a lot of pain for the cat some find it difficult to use the litterbox as standing in the litter is painful, others have difficulty walking properly http://www.declawing.com/

Love4himies
March 5th, 2010, 08:02 AM
You can also keep you cat's clawed clipped so they won't be sharp enough to go through your clothes. I have my vet do my cats as it is only 20 bucks and Puddles is very, very difficult to do. She too seems to have problems retracting her claws, not sure why, but we have never been able to change her.

As Growler stated, please don't get your cat declawed, it is cruelty to animals and is illegal in European countries and I think California. If you feel you can't live with your cat, please rehome it.

http://declaw.org/

sugarcatmom
March 5th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Netasha, and welcome to pets.ca!

I have some tips to get your kitty used to having her claws trimmed, which will definitely help prevent them from snagging on stuff (and you!): http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=466751&highlight=claw+trim#post466751

Hope that helps!

Netasha
March 21st, 2010, 01:41 AM
Tks e1 who answered my 1st post about my cat's claw problem. :thumbs up

I am going to let the vet do her claws as "Duchess" goes nuts if you try to hold her when she doesnt want to be..lol I agree with you all abt declawing being wrong and cruel. We also have a Boston Terrier (Duke) and we have his done at the vet's as I am too afraid to cut too close to the quick. I have seen some dogs damaged feet from ppl doing just that and we care for animals too much to let them hurt unnecessarily.

Sorry it took so long to answer back as my comp' died a blue screen death..:eek:
Netasha

Tundra_Queen
March 24th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Hi

Welcome to the forum.:)