Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bladder Stone Surgery

twarren71
March 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
My cat needs to have surgery to remove stones from her bladder. My vet charges $880. Does anyone now of vets in the area of Oakville, ON that would charge less?

Love4himies
March 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Call around and ask. You may find other vets will want to redo some testing you have already had done so it may not be cheaper.

Dr Lee
March 12th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I agree with love4himies.

Another thing to remember - if you find a savings, then you need to weight that against any change in trust/quality.

Having worked in three states - that is not an unreasonable cost. (actually for the the states I have been in, that is a good price).

Also remember that it is important to have the stone analyzed for what type of stone it is. The composition of the stone can easily (for reasons not entirely clear) not be the same as crystals found in the urinalysis. Hopefully once the type of stone is identified, then changes can be implemented to make sure that the stones do not recur!

Best of luck.

pugsrule
March 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I don't know how prices differ from cats to dogs. But here in B.C. I have had 3 surgeries for bladder stones on pugs, and never got out under $2000 each, so $800 sounds pretty reasonable in comparison.

As previously stated, sometimes the cheapest is not the best.

chico2
March 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM
twarren,I paid $800 to have a tooth pulled on my cat and my vet is very reasonable,so I don't think you'll find anything cheaper.
Good Luck with the kitty:cat:

Goldfields
March 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I don't know how prices differ from cats to dogs. But here in B.C. I have had 3 surgeries for bladder stones on pugs, and never got out under $2000 each, so $800 sounds pretty reasonable in comparison.

As previously stated, sometimes the cheapest is not the best.

How long ago were those surgeries done, pugsrule? Just curious because I had a bladder stone op, with one having to be removed from the penis also , 3 1/2 years ago on a sheltie and it cost me just $400. It was this particular vet's first attempt at removing one like the latter, and I learnt later that a friend had been told, on her arrival with dogs for vaccination, to take them back home and make a new appointment. Seems they had books open everywhere, trying to work out what had to be done. :confused: Fortunately it was a wonderful success, and I am so glad I didn't know that this was happening. Far less stressful to hear about it after the event.