Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Arrrrrrrrggggg! Stupid vet!

Bluedrake
March 4th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I had to take my cat Mimi to the vet recently because she would not eat. After a few x-rays they found she has something in her stomach blocking the way. She is still in treatment, so I don't know how this will turn out yet.

What makes me angry is this. They did a blood test (that I asked for) and everything checked out okay, except the value for her kidney was 1 point above maximum normal. I didn't understand the whole number thing, but basically the vet told me this:

Kidney problems are linked to a lack of water, so the vet tells me I have to make sure that my cat drinks enough. Next thing he does? He tries to push the prescription diet: kidney formula, a dry KIBBLE when my cat is exclusively fed CANNED food, high in water.:wall:

This guy is not my regular vet, and I frankly don't like him because anytime I get him he tries to convince me to get my cats off Wellness and get them on some prescription diet. :loser:

Mimi was a whopping 16 pounds when I got her, and he recommended a weigth loss formula. I declined and kept her on Welness, and now Mimi weighs 10 pounds. Can't the guy give me some credit for choosing what's best for my cats? :yell:

My regular vet never tries to push anything on me. She just tells me what my cat needs and leaves it to me to make the best decision.

They are going to give Mimi a laxative to try to get rid of the hairball. I hope it works, because if it doesn't it will mean a surgery, which will cost around 1500 $. The bill is already around 500 $, so that would be a round 2000$. I can afford it, but dang it's expensive!:eek:

Send me good vibes! :goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen
March 4th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I hope Mimi will be ok and not need surgery! :grouphug:

Bluedrake
March 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
She is fine!

I just called the vet and she is fine. The laxative worked, so she won't need the surgery.

Now to tell him where he can put his kidney prescription diet...

Love4himies
March 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
So glad to hear all is well. :highfive: :grouphug:

Yup, educate your vet :thumbs up, I would simply ask "innocently" why dry kibble gets more water into them than canned? :laughing: and Is the tongue more efficient at lapping up water, than consuming water in their food :angel:? That gets them thinking :laughing: My vets don't question my cat's diet anymore :D

Luvmypitgirls
March 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Glad to hear Mimi is doing well and can avoid surgery.:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
March 5th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Happy to hear Mimi has passed the hairball without too much issue :thumbs up

How old is Mimi? If she's over 7 years old I would have the kidney number rechecked in about 6 months just to be sure it has dropped back into normal. Often when dehydrated the kidney values will rise temporarily & fall back to normal when they are properly rehydrated but you always want to keep an eye on things to catch them early.

hazelrunpack
March 5th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Glad to hear the hairball eventually passed, Bluedrake! Good girl, Mimi! :goodvibes: