Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Was talking to a friend......

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Got talking to a friend this evening, we frequently talk about our pets and stuff.
I'm not sure how, but we got on the topic of people that put their dogs into the back of their open pick up trucks.
There is a guy in my neighborhood that does this all the time, and I have to say it makes me ill.
I don't like to talk about it, but I was involved in a situation where a dog lost his life due to such a practice.
We were going down Barlow Tr, in Calgary. It's a 3 lane, sometimes 4 lane roadway. Very busy, frequented by large rigs.
Anyway, I was behind a pick up, that had a big beautiful black Lab in the box.
Suddenly cars were slamming on brakes and skidding everywhere.
The dog in the pick up, slammed up against the back window of the cab, and then flew out, directly infront of me. I couldn't swerve as I had vehicles on both sides of me, I ended up running over the dog, killing it.:cry::cry::cry:
This was many many years ago, I still live with a lot of guilt over it, even tho it wasn't my fault, but it was my vehicle that struck the dog.
Ultimately however, I believe it was the owners fault for carrying his dog in the back of the truck.
I have never understood how anyone could do this. Not only is it not safe, but it also creates health issues. A dogs ears, nose and eyes can be greatly effected by riding in the back of an open box truck.
Not to mention, how dogs can lose their balance with all the going and stopping.
The guy in my neighborhood that puts his dogs in the back of his truck, likes to stop abruptly and he lays on the gas when he goes, his dogs losing balance. I fear one day one of his dogs, if not both will meet an untimely death because of this.
It's cruel in my opinion.
I still have nightmares occassionally about the dog I hit. His owner blamed me and spit on me. I didn't press charges because one of the cops that arrived on scene guilt tripped me into not doing so.
The owner never went near his dead dog, I held the dog and cried until police arrived. He didn't want to deal with his dog's body so a City truck picked it up.
I still :cry: when I think about it.
I have never shared this before, other than with my friend and my immediate family, because I still feel so guilty.
:(

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
because I still feel so guilty.
:(

that's what pisses me ..... when things like this happens , it haunts US and not the dog's owner :wall: no it was so not your fault ! :grouphug:

It should be illegal to have dogs in pick up truck's cabs :frustrated:

luckypenny
March 3rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
It is illegal :shrug:.

It wasn't too long ago I saw a dog in a crate strapped to the roof of a car :frustrated:.

LMPG, can you report this guy to the police next time you see him with his dogs in the back of the truck?

I'm so sorry for your experience :grouphug:.

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM

not sure LP , I asked a friend (his son is a policeman) and he said nope , it wasn't illegal. I asked him because 2-3 years ago , I saw a Beagle in a cab , on the 132 :wall:

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM

It wasn't too long ago I saw a dog in a crate strapped to the roof of a car :frustrated:.

LMPG, can you report this guy to the police next time you see him with his dogs in the back of the truck?

I'm so sorry for your experience :grouphug:.

LP, I don't think it's illegal in Alberta, they were talking about it at one point, but never passed it into law that I know of. If they did, it certainly isn't enforced.
I'm going to call the RCMP tomorrow and find out for sure if it's legal or not.
If it's not I'm getting this guys license plate next time I see him with dogs inthe back of his truck.

luckypenny
March 3rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
It would be the same as if you didn't have equipment properly fastened on the back of a truck. It's a safely hazard...not only for the dog :( but for other motorists too.

luckypenny
March 3rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
If it's law in Calgary, I'm assuming it's elsewhere in Alberta too :fingerscr.

"Dogs are only allowed to be transported in the back of a truck if the dog is either in a fully enclosed trailer, a truck bed covered with a topper, contained in a ventilated kennel which is secured to the truck bed, or securely tethered and not standing on bare metal."

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Animal+and+Bylaw+Services/Bylaw+Services/Bylaws+of+Interest/Dogs.htm

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
If it's law in Calgary, I'm assuming it's elsewhere in Alberta too :fingerscr.

"Dogs are only allowed to be transported in the back of a truck if the dog is either in a fully enclosed trailer, a truck bed covered with a topper, contained in a ventilated kennel which is secured to the truck bed, or securely tethered and not standing on bare metal."

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Animal+and+Bylaw+Services/Bylaw+Services/Bylaws+of+Interest/Dogs.htm

Then it's a law that isn't enforced, because I see it happening all the time, even in Calgary.
My theory is this, if you wouldn't put your kids in the back of a pick up truck, why in the world would you put your dog in the back of your pick up.

cassiek
March 4th, 2010, 12:51 AM
LMPG, my heart feels for you have to go through an experience like that. You obviously were very hurt and upset about it as it was a very traumatic experience. Please know that it is in no way your fault, and the only person to blame in this situation is the irresponsible dog owner who let his dog ride loose in the back of his truck. :wall:

I find situations such as these even more upsetting as it's so easy to prevent! Why on earth anyone would even consider leaving their dog loose to ride in the back of their truck is beyond me. How difficult is it to safely secure a dog kennel into the back of your truck? I think it has serious animal welfare implications, and it is so frustrating that it is not enforced. Unfortunately the animals are suffering at the expense of the owners irresponsibility.

I know in Lethbridge people do it all the time. :mad: I usually take a picture of the license plate and call it in to the police.

I honestly believe if you can not provide one of the most basic needs to a dog (their safety and security), why are you a dog owner? To me this is neglect and abuse.

Luvmypitgirls
March 4th, 2010, 01:13 AM
LMPG, my heart feels for you have to go through an experience like that. You obviously were very hurt and upset about it as it was a very traumatic experience. Please know that it is in no way your fault, and the only person to blame in this situation is the irresponsible dog owner who let his dog ride loose in the back of his truck. :wall:

I honestly believe if you can not provide one of the most basic needs to a dog (their safety and security), why are you a dog owner? To me this is neglect and abuse.

Thank you cassiek, yes I was very hurt and upset by this experience, still am. It has been somewhat theraputic sharing about it though, and being able to vent a bit. I have carried a deep sense of shame and guilt, even tho it wasn't my fault, I still feel guilty.

I agree with you that it's neglect and abuse, and I think anyone that does it should have their dogs taken away.
I seen a guy doing this when it was -20 out, had his Springer spaniel and his GSD in the back of his truck! Minus 20! So if he's travelling at 50 kms per hour can you imagine how friggin cold it was in the back of that truck!
It's just not acceptable at any time for any reason.
I take my dogs in my Sorrento, I have doggy seatbelts for each of them. Hubby has a truck, we bought a canopy with sliding windows and we anchor in their kennels, so they are doubley protected. Even that makes me uncomfortable at the best of times so we usually take my vehicle with the doggy seatbelts.
I would like to see substantial penalties given to these people that put their dogs in the back of their trucks without any protection.

Tundra_Queen
March 4th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Oh crap....this is one thing that really ticks me off!! I get soooo :censored: angry!!

I never saw this done until I moved to Northern Ontario. Why are people so stupid to think their dog isn't going to jump out if they see another dog or a cat going down the street? Or that the dog is going to get killed if they get into an accident? :wall::wall:

I don't know why the cops don't pull them over and ticket them if they can't arrest them! :loser::mad:

I have no patience for stupidity especially when comes to animals!

Debbie

Melinda
March 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM
its a law in Ontario also and they are stopped left and right around here thank god, luvmypits there was nothing you could do, it was not your fault but the jerks fault that didn't care enough about his dog.

Love4himies
March 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I moved from Alberta back in 2003 and it was common practice in Edm to have dogs in the back of pick ups. Made me nervous every time I was behind one. I don't get why people have such a lack of common sense :wall: :loser:

chico2
March 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Driving down South in the US,we saw it all the time,actually made me ill driving behind a pick-up with dogs and we quickly got away from them.
LMPG,I don't think I would ever forget such an experience either,some people are just morons,the animals pay the price.:evil:and of course people like you who care..

Chris21711
March 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM
This really irks me to no end. One of our Yahoo neighbours does the same thing and in town in summer you see it all the time :wall:

clm
March 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
still very common to see this in cottage country. It's the locals not the cottagers doing it. Not unusual to see them have a crew of kids in the back of the pickup either. I can't tell you how many times my sister and I and my cousins were toted around in the back of my uncles pickup. They see nothing wrong with toting their kids around that way, why would they think it's any worse for a dog. With virtually no cops on most of the roads up there, no one ever gets stopped for it either, so I don't see it changing either.

clm

otter
March 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM
OH LMPG :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you. Horrible on so many accounts... horrible that you had to be involved in such a preventable death (not by you, soooooooooo not in any way your fault!), horrible that you have to live with the memory, horrible that you are having to relive it because of your neighbor.... horrible!

I see it too quite often, both dogs and kids in the back of pick ups :frustrated:. Even someone I know rather well does it, I say in jest that i'm gonna steal his dog one day (as he leaves it in his truck when he's at the grocery store, etc.) but someday I just might go through with it. I've come up to him on the Highway (we're talking Trans Canada Highway, transports and all) and pulled off so I wouldn't be behind him :yell: I picture in my mind exactly what happened to you LMPGs and cry :cry: Many of us have talked to him, he just says the dog is fine :yell::frustrated::eek:

MyBirdIsEvil
March 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
People should be aware of open windows too.

We were driving somewhere one day and my husband was watching someone's dog with his head out the window. Suddenly I heard him yell "Oh god, oh god, oh god.". It freaked me out and I was like "what's wrong!!??" and he said he saw the dog fall out the window and get caught up in the rear wheels. :( The owner slammed on their breaks and went back but I assume the dog was dead (we didn't stop, he couldn't bear to look at it).
Luckily I wasn't watching in the mirror so I didn't see it. He was really traumatized by it.

Sylvie
March 8th, 2010, 11:33 PM
What a sad story and to think it is still going on :wall::wall:

Myka
March 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
In BC (not sure about other provinces), if a dog is in the back of a pickup it legally has to be tied in in a safe manner. This law really isn't (ack what's that word??) followed through by cops (what's that word?? lol).

joeysmama
March 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Oh I'm so sorry this happened to you. And it did happen to you---you didn't cause it to happen. You're a victim!! I had something similar happen to me with a cat when I was in college. I was driving home after a ight out with friends, I was 100% sober and alert and a big orange cat darted out in front of me and I tried to brake and hit him anyway. I can still feel the thud. :( I tried to find him but couldn't which was maybe even worse because I kept thinking that he was in a bush somewhere suffering.

I don't get why people don't protect their animals. If there isn't a law against animals riding in the back of a truck for the animals sake then how about for the safety of the humans and the potential accidents that could happen if the animal jumps out or is thrown from the truck.

It's just a no brainer that this should carry a high fine, points on your license, time in traffic school etc. Sheesh !!

Luvmypitgirls
March 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
In BC (not sure about other provinces), if a dog is in the back of a pickup it legally has to be tied in in a safe manner. This law really isn't (ack what's that word??) followed through by cops (what's that word?? lol).

I believe the word you are looking for is....ENFORCED.

babymomma
March 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I dont like it either.. But some people just dont KNOW the differance.. I know a few dogs that travel in the pan of trucks but are the most spoiled, well kept dogs going.

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
LMPG, I'm so sorry you have lived with this guilt. The owners should have been cited for endangering the life of their dog.

I see this ALL the time here. I hate it. I can't understand why anyone would do that!. It's not like there isn't room in the front.