Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

amateur cooking thread

dollface
March 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
I've been thinking of making this thread for awhile but always forgot somehow.

Sometimes a group of friendly ppl is better than google searching :) = more ideas.

So everyone feel free to ask your cooking questions here, and we can try to help each other out!

I've got one: I want to make cinnamon frosting but I want to use already made vanilla whipped icing from Betty Crocker. Would I be better off just mixing in ground cinnamon or do you think I can melt cinnamon hearts and mix that in (cooled slightly as to not melt the white icing)?

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
You would have to combine and cook the cinnamon powder with butter. It's the oil in the cinnamon stick that has the flavour. If you add pure powder to the prepared icing, it will likely have a grainy texture. The oil is not water soluble but the powder may soften after several hours of suspension in the icing.

I don 't bake. Which, if we are all honest here...:D this may be a good thing :D

I've always wondered and been too lazy to think about it...:laughing: why use ice water when making pie dough? What needs seizing?

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Dollface, I wish I knew the answer to your question....it's funny but I never liked cinnamon until lately, since I quit smoking I crave cinnamon anything!
I have been eating cinnamon buns like crazy....that explains the 15 lbs I gained eh ;)

aslan
March 3rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
i would think if you took a little of the icing added the cinnamon powder and heated it up the powder would disolve..as it does on buttered toast..

Ice water helps to keep the fat cold so it does not melt. This helps to keep the crust flaky. It is also why I freeze the butter before quickly cutting it in to the flour. one of the few things you don't have all your ingredients at room temp.

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 07:58 PM
i would think if you took a little of the icing added the cinnamon powder and heated it up the powder would disolve..as it does on buttered toast..

Ice water helps to keep the fat cold so it does not melt. This helps to keep the crust flaky. It is also why I freeze the butter before quickly cutting it in to the flour. one of the few things you don't have all your ingredients at room temp.

If the ice water has no impact on the starch then why use it, why not just freeze your butter?

Or maybe I just answered my own question :D

aslan
March 3rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
i said freeze the butter....

and yorkshire pudding CAN be made without making the roast to go with it.

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I know something that needs seizing, but I've been informed we are to avoid sexual innuendos......;)...:laughing:
therefore I am not "touching" this one.....:laughing:
ohhh there I go again.....:laughing::laughing:

sorry if I have offended anyone....just trying to have a lil fun, since this place has been full of drama lately.

OMD ~ were you a slot order cvook in a previous life?

Tommysmom
March 3rd, 2010, 08:02 PM

:laughing: shhhhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell my hubby that, next you'll say they don't all come frozen!

aslan
March 3rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
muaaah black mail material...i had a recipe and poof its out of my head now

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM

Yabbut who the h## likes Yorkshire pudding without the gravy.

And it is ME who is sooooooooooo not going there....where? uhhhh...to where the gravy is made..

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I am however a very overtired housewife with too much time on my hands today :laughing:

You zertainly are. :D

aslan
March 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
you can make gravy too.

14+kitties
March 4th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I've got one: I want to make cinnamon frosting but I want to use already made vanilla whipped icing from Betty Crocker. Would I be better off just mixing in ground cinnamon or do you think I can melt cinnamon hearts and mix that in (cooled slightly as to not melt the white icing)?

I don't think your cinnamon hearts are going to melt down. You would do better if you want to use ground cinnamon to put your ready made frosting into a bowl, add the cinnamon (1 tsp should do it) and whip till smooth. Then put it in the fridge for a while to let the cinnamon waft through the icing. Before icing the cake or cookies bring it out of the fridge and let it warm a little on your counter so it spreads easier.
Or - a simple cinnamon frosting recipe -

4 1/2 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. sweet butter
1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. vanilla

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Dollface, I wish I knew the answer to your question....it's funny but I never liked cinnamon until lately, since I quit smoking I crave cinnamon anything!
I have been eating cinnamon buns like crazy....that explains the 15 lbs I gained eh ;)

Cinnamon buns are yummy! Walk and eat at the same time? lol

i would think if you took a little of the icing added the cinnamon powder and heated it up the powder would disolve..as it does on buttered toast.. Thanks for mentioning this, it reminded me that I have cinnamon spread in the cupboard, so would this possibly taste good on chocolate cupcakes?

I don't think your cinnamon hearts are going to melt down. You would do better if you want to use ground cinnamon to put your ready made frosting into a bowl, add the cinnamon (1 tsp should do it) and whip till smooth. Then put it in the fridge for a while to let the cinnamon waft through the icing. Before icing the cake or cookies bring it out of the fridge and let it warm a little on your counter so it spreads easier.
Or - a simple cinnamon frosting recipe -

4 1/2 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. sweet butter
1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. vanilla

Thanks 14+ :) The reason I asked about cinnamon hearts is because I made cupcakes a couple weeks ago and used the whipped frosting and then put cinnamon hearts on top. Then over the course of a week or so, the cinnamon hearts started melting and becoming soft, so that's why I asked if they could melt and mix well lol

Dog Dancer
March 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM
You make cupcakes and they last a week??? That's never gonna happen at my house.

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM
doll face not sure if the cinnamon spread would be too cinnamony ( made up a new word)..try it on one, if it's too strong add some icing to it.

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
actually they lasted almost 2 weeks lol but then again there are only 2 of us here and they didn't go as fast b/c bf doesn't like cinnamon hearts and he didn't want to pick them off :laughing:

aslan: new words are good and educational :D :thumbs up
ok off to make more cupcakes and experiment with icing variations! mint, cinnamon spread, cinnamon concoction, store bought rainbow chip and normal whipped frosting, anyone want to help or taste test? hehe

Winston
March 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Okay everyone...alll my comments were deleted.

Hopefully everyone can get back on track.

:sorry::offtopic:

Sorry Dollface I didnt meant to do this in your thread...my comments have been deleted though!

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 03:19 PM
DF,, i would love to come taste test your cupcakes.. wow,,housekeeping can we clean the mess made of this thread...

Luvmypitgirls
March 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM
DF,, i would love to come taste test your cupcakes.. wow,,housekeeping can we clean the mess made of this thread...

My apologizes aslan, and dollface...I will remove my response as well.

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
thank-you lmpg...

anyone who does make yorkshire's but loves them so much they don't want to wait for a roast,,instead of using beef drippings you can use a very light cooking oil instead,,poof perfect yorkshires,,(always make sure ingredients are room temp)..

mmm you can make any type of Gravy by using beef or chicken or turkey stock from a can,,just dilute it down some and proceed the same way you normally would..or you can actually buy a gravy in the can that is pretty good.

shirley1011
March 4th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Aslan...I think I am going to need more explanation on how to make Yorkshire pudding than that! I have never ever made the little things..only eat them! so telling me how to cook them ain't going to cut it when I wouldn't have a clue what to put in the oil!

Chris21711
March 4th, 2010, 03:39 PM

:laughing: A cooking thread went awry and I wasn't here :laughing:

I sooooooo love Yorkshire Pudding, my Gran made the best in the whole wide world....she lived in Yorkshire.....in Yorkshire you eat/ate it before your meal with onion gravy....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :cloud9:

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Aslan...I think I am going to need more explanation on how to make Yorkshire pudding than that! I have never ever made the little things..only eat them! so telling me how to cook them ain't going to cut it when I wouldn't have a clue what to put in the oil!

lol, when you make yorkshires ( and the best are in a muffin tin,not a cake pan) you have to heat the muffin tin up reeeeaaally hot in the oven, then you usually drizzle a little beef drippings in each cup before the batter...since alot more people are veggie or vegan,,i started using light cooking oil instead..tastes exactly the same and no critters were harmed.

Chris21711
March 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Buy the frozen ones Shirley :D

shirley1011
March 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
My cooking goes awry most days!! I think Aslan will have to make a whole bunch of them for us to try

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
:laughing: A cooking thread went awry and I wasn't here :laughing:

I sooooooo love Yorkshire Pudding, my Gran made the best in the whole wide world....she lived in Yorkshire.....in Yorkshire you eat/ate it before your meal with onion gravy....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :cloud9:

oooh see now i'd have loved your gramma,,mmmmm, i eat them with anything and everything.

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM
No worries everyone! It's off topic for a reason ;) and I missed everything anyways lol where is a cupcake batter dispenser when you need one??

I've never had yorkshire pudding, only seen them. What do they taste like? Aslan I think you need to post a recipe now :P

We should have a pot luck get together one day! :D

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Buy the frozen ones Shirley :D

:eek: sacralidge,,,,and you being english and all..i'm ashamed of you...

oh this part is about meat so those that don't eat meat cover your eyes...

if you like horseradish with a roast,,,try it on a hamburger,,mmmmmm. or tzatziki,,mmmmm.

Chris21711
March 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
:eek: sacralidge,,,,and you being english and all..i'm ashamed of you...

I'm a terrible cook :D...made them once and they were as flat as a pancake :laughing:

if you like horseradish with a roast,,,

Horseradish :cloud9:

Tommysmom
March 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
mmmmmmmm tzatziki:cloud9:... I used to make my own... can't wait until I can eat dairy again, pizza and tzatziki are tops on my list!!!

aslan
see i knew i liked you for a reason...now if hamburger and roast are the same thing,,why not put it on a hamburger..

i'll make you yorkshires next time i come up there.

aslan
mmmmmmmm tzatziki:cloud9:... I used to make my own... can't wait until I can eat dairy again, pizza and tzatziki are tops on my list!!!

oooooooo never thought of that,,,hmmm 967-1111

shirley1011
March 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM
ok..tell me what is tzatziki?

Tommysmom
March 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
It's usually used with greek foods... sauce made of cucumber, yogurt, and garlic for the most part... great as a dip, or on meat, or with salad, everything!

shirley1011
March 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
mmmm sounds good..never heard of it...another receipe request

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

16 ounces (2 cups) of thick Greek yogurt
4 to 10 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup of diced or grated cucumber (Kirby or "English")
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
Preparation:

Prepare all ingredients in advance. Combine oil and lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl. Fold the yogurt in slowly, making sure it mixes completely with the oil. Add the garlic, according to taste, and the cucumber. Stir until evenly distributed. Garnish with a bit of green and serve well chilled.

Yield: about 2 1/2 cups

Tommysmom
March 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Yep, that's pretty much how I do it, 'cept that I blend the cucumber and add way too much garlic usually, LOL. It's yummy!!

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
is that another don't tell hubby i can do thing...

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 04:18 PM
i put that stuff on my pita at pita pit! :thumbs up

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
pita, hamburgers,,used it once as a quick salad dressing cause i couldn't find the cesar..if i could smell anything i'd order pizza and try it on that...and i love it on gyros...

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 04:35 PM
lol Do it!!! then report back here :D

Frenchy
March 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I use to do my own tzatziki sauce too , but very basic :

sour cream
cucumber
garlic

:cloud9:

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
lol, people don't take cooking advice from this woman..uhuh dooooon't do it.:rolleyes:

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
why not? :(

Frenchy
March 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
:laughing: because I'm not a good cook :p well , not that I'm bad at it , I just don't cook :shrug: too complicated for me , unless it has 3 ingredients or less :o

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM
lol awwwwwwww i'll teach you! :D

ok so i tried the mint frosting and the cinnamon spread... think i will need bf's opinion before I frost anymore but I have a feeling they are just going to get a rainbow chip frosting and possibly some mint otherwise it will be a waste :o

Frenchy
March 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
this thread is making me hungry :(

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
what's for dinner tonight Frenchy?

Frenchy
March 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM
what's for dinner tonight Frenchy?

probably kraft dinner :laughing:

just kidding , something with eggs or a salad :o

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Baked mac and cheese is not so hard to make ;)

Salad sounds good tho, what kind of dressing? Have you tried Creamy Bacon Ceasar from Kraft? SOO good (if you like bacon)!

I will be attempting to make chicken fried rice with mushrooms. I've made shrimp fried rice before so chicken shouldn't be too different.

Does anyone know where the sugar snap peas are located in the produce section of say Fortino's? I can never find them, and then the frozen ones are always sold out :(

aslan
March 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
they may be out of season dollface that's why you can't find them,,they should be there around the rest of the veggies..

oooh baked mac and cheese with bread crumbs ontop...:cloud9:

dollface
March 4th, 2010, 08:09 PM
boo no fair :( oh well

onster
March 6th, 2010, 08:02 AM
OOh I have a question, speaking of Tzaki, where can you buy greek yogurt??? I never see it at Zehrs/Metro even tho I often look out for it? :shrug: I just wanna try it since its apparently so amazing and I loooove yogurt (I use yogurt as a condiment kinda, I think its a Mediterranean thing)

aslan
March 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM
i have found it in no frills most of the time..if you go to the lunch meat/cheese section,,not the area where hotdogs and stuff are but where stuff like kolbasa and polish sausage, brie cheese etc is,,i usually find it there onster.

dollface
March 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Ok so I want to make this recipe tonight: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/speedy-chicken-stir-fry-107031.aspx

I've had it before and it is really good!

The only differnce for tonight is I have no chicken, so for the sauce should I still pan fry it or do you think I can just microwave it?

dollface
March 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Anybody have a breadmaker? I got the Black & Decker B2250 for xmas, it came with recipes for different settings, but if I want to make olive bread how do I know which setting to use? :confused:

dollface
March 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
got another question :o lol if i take out frozen chicken breasts now and want to cook by 7 (in 2h 45m) will they be defrosted in time? My microwave doesn't let me use the defrost option, and I might want to make chicken parmesan which takes 30-40 mins in the oven, if they are not fully defrosted how much longer do I leave them in the oven, assuming I can put slightly frozen chicken in the oven?

free
March 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM
i rarely defrost anything before cooking because it would mean i would hot be able to procrastinate . cook it 10 min longer and then check to see if the juices run clear. also you might find more liquid in the pan because it wasnt defrosted just put it on a rack

MyBirdIsEvil
March 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Tzatziki is commonly called cucumber dressing (at least in the U.S.). Don't confuse it with the ranch cucumber dressing sold at the store though, not the same thing. It's the stuff they normally put on gyros if you've ever had those.

I usually just make mine with plain yogurt, fresh dill (dried if I don't have any, but it's not as good), fresh pressed garlic and diced cucumber and lemon juice. I add sugar to taste because I like it sweet. It's a good topping on almost any sandwich or wrap, including hamburgers.

if they are not fully defrosted how much longer do I leave them in the oven, assuming I can put slightly frozen chicken in the oven?

Your microwave should still have a power level setting (you may need the manual to figure out how to set it though). You can go with a power level of about 3 and defrost. Most defrost buttons are just setting the power level for you (if you don't have a microwave with sensor cooking). Check it every 2 minutes to see how thawed it is. It does not have to be defrosted all the way. If it's just slightly fozen but thawed enough to cut easily you can use it. You will want to cook in the oven probably 10-20 min longer. Don't cook it in the microwave long enough to start cooking it.
If your microwave is like mine or a lot of others you set the power level by pressing "cook", putting the time, then pressing "power level", putting the power level you want (enter a number from 1-10, 10 is the highest - you'll probably want 3 for defrost), and pressing start.

I wouldn't recommend cooking with fully frozen chicken mainly because if you start from frozen it's going to come out tougher. Any meat, the colder it is and the quicker it's heated the more tough it will be.

Also a good tip: Cutting chicken up is actually EASIER If it's still a little frozen. It won't slide around as much and will cut into neat little cubes or strips.

mummummum
March 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Cooking from frozen also means it may cook unevenly overcooking some while leaving other parts closer to the bone raw.

If you nuker is truly cranky or if one doesn't have a nuker, you can also put your frozen meat in a tightly sealed plastic bag and run cold-to-tepid water over it until it softens up.

dollface
March 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your tips! I didn't end up making the chicken last night but those tips will come in handy next time I'm in a pinch! :D

BenMax
March 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Easy pesy recipe for chicken:

Chicken (obviously) quartered.
Olive oil in a pan or glase shallow bowl ( that can go in the oven)
Olive Oil
Lemon juice
Garlic
Dryed Thyme.

Cook medium and just before serving - broiler.

Put the chicken on a plate.

Remove the drippings or reminence from the pan - put on the stove. Add a bit of chicken broth, a tiny bit of cream and bring to a nice consistancy - put on top of the chicken and serve.

Easiest way to make chicken!

dollface
March 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM
That sounds soo yummy BenMax! I will have to try that soon! I LOVE baking chicken on top of garlic, smells soooooooooooo good! *drool**drooly*

BenMax
March 10th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Another ridiculous easy chicken recipe.

Thinly sliced chicken breasts breaded
Put into a frying pan and turn until light brown.
Add orange juice and keep cooking in the juice
Keep addind the orange juice if it diappears or turns caramelized

Serve - it takes about 15 minutes and it is so darn good.

dollface
March 10th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Mmm I love homemade breaded chicken strips! To bread: dip in egg then flour then bread crumbs?

dollface
April 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
I think I might make this for tomorrow: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/philadelphia-chocolate-vanilla-swirl-cheesecake-107593.aspx

But it calls for sour cream, I don't feel like going out again to the zoo that is Fortino's, so does anyone think it would be ok to skip the sour cream?

mummummum
April 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
That would be a crime against humanity :D plus it's critical to the recipe. Got any buttermilk or yoghurt at home?

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodequivalents/a/sourcreamequivs.htm

dollface
April 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Sadly, no I don't have any of those, guess I'm going shopping after dinner lol thanks mummummum!

Happy Easter to all :)

hazelrunpack
April 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Oh, ya! You definitely don't want to cut corners with a masterpiece like that, dollface! http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/6.gif Too far to ship...but could you at least post a picture of it before it's all gone? :D

dollface
April 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I didn't end up making it, I made fried shrimp for dinner and I guess my body said "enough standing for one night" so I went to Fortinos and picked up a Mississippi mud pie and a Grasshopper mint chocolate cream pie. The reason I asked about the sour cream was because there is another cheesecake recipe on kraftcanada.com that is a no-bake cheesecake with oreo cookies and did not call for sour cream so I was a bit confuzzled there.

But when I do make it, I will gladly post a pic :)

Frenchy
April 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
last week , I made chocolate chips pancakes + slices of bananas and whipped cream :cloud9:

dollface
April 4th, 2010, 07:47 PM
thanks for making me hungry again Frenchy! lol geez that sounds heavenly! You should go to Demetres with that recipe and sell it to them! www.waycoolcafe.com

dollface
April 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
Me again lol

Ok so Monday night, I made this awesome recipe:

Balsamic Chicken Drummets (food network)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/balsamic-chicken-drumettes-recipe/index.html

So I had a lot of marinade leftover, and I want to make it again. So my question is, can I re-use the leftover marinade to marinate the chicken and then just re-boil it again after the chicken is ready to go in the oven? Or is there some unforeseen circumstance I should be worried about regarding bacteria and such?

BrownEyedGirl
April 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Me again lol

Ok so Monday night, I made this awesome recipe:

Balsamic Chicken Drummets (food network)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/balsamic-chicken-drumettes-recipe/index.html

So I had a lot of marinade leftover, and I want to make it again. So my question is, can I re-use the leftover marinade to marinate the chicken and then just re-boil it again after the chicken is ready to go in the oven? Or is there some unforeseen circumstance I should be worried about regarding bacteria and such?

If you originally marinated your chicken in the same marinade, it should be discarded due to the salmonella risk. Otherwise, if you only used half to marinade and the other half is "uncontaminated" then it should be fine to use.

Sounds yummy tho.

quincymycat
April 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
To be on the safe side, I would not re-use any marinade that has already had chicken sitting in it as the juices from the raw chicken would be chock full of bacterias that would just thrive on the sugary marinade mix.
Next time, only make a half recipe of the marinade.