Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training fully blind dog to interact with other dogs properly

andy1986
March 3rd, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hi there - I have a four year old fully blind sharpei. His name is Pantelis and we got him through 'Tales of Greece' and has actually only been in Canada for a few months now. He is an excellent dog and very friendly with humans.

He does very good on his walks and you wouldn't even know he's blind. But when he meets up with another dog or hears dog tags he gets all jumpy/pully and excited. Now if he's within three feet of another dog, he will start to jump and bark. I'm nervous to let him interact as he seems a little aggressive or perhaps because of disability of being blind.. doesn't know how to properly interact.

Wondering if anyone can recommend any techniques I can bring upon him in teaching him to stay calm and that everything is alright. I had the thought of bringing some of his favorite treats along with me so when he gets all jumpy I'd praise him with a treat and if he stopped he would get it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BenMax
March 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Contact Merlin's Hope Rescue as this dog has certain characteristics which they are very familiar with. Great great organization.

Also - contact Blind Dog Alliance Rescue,they as well have a professional approach for dogs that are seeing impaired.

I think if you combine what you learn from both groups, this will help you understand the dog and also be provided with a realistic picture of what to expect based on the breed, and his disability.

Chris21711
March 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Take BenMax's advice...Merlin's Hope Rescue is already aware of this dog :thumbs up....I have also seen other photos of him and he is a beauty :lovestruck:

http://www.merlinshope.com/2010/

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
I would also start cultivating family, friends and acquaintances who have dogs with the right temperament who can assist you with training.

MerlinsHope
March 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Take BenMax's advice...Merlin's Hope Rescue is already aware of this dog :thumbs up....I have also seen other photos of him and he is a beauty :lovestruck:

http://www.merlinshope.com/2010/

I think you might be confusing this pei with another one.
We are not aware of this sharpei other than it having been in need of a home via a person in Ontario.

Please feel welcomed to contact us for any questions you may have regarding blind dogs. If we can help you we certainly will.
THanks
MM