Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat lost alot of weight but acts healthy

swadle
March 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
My cat lost alot of weight and looks like he is starving. His appetite seems inquechable. He is very active and acts normal. He just seems to be very hungry and skinny. He really only wangts to eat human food. I am trying soft food now. There is always a full bowl of dry food and he is seen eating it. But he gets into the garbage for human food. He doest drink anymore the usual. And there is vomit from one of the cats everyonce and awhile. B ut I have not seen him throwup.

Love4himies
March 3rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
I highly recommend a full blood panel including a thyroid check for your cat. The symptoms can be many things and you will only get your answer through a vet check.

Good luck and keep us informed!

BenMax
March 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
I think a vet appointment will assist in diagnosing what is going on with your cat.

Best of luck and keep us updated.:thumbs up

Dr Lee
March 11th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Great idea Love4Himies. I agree, I would want to look at Thyroid as my first differential. Hyperthyroidism is a common cause for weight loss in the face of a great appetite. If present, hyperthyroid needs to be addressed as soon a possible to help avoid the secondary diseases which accompany it such as hypertension, heart and kidney disease. It can also several inexpensive, easy to manage options which can increase the quality and quantity of life for your cat.

As far as trying some wet food. As a general rule, canned food is far better for cats than dry food. In the wild, cats typically eat 1-3 large, wet protein meals (i.e. mouse, bird) per day. When cat munches on dry food there are several problems: 1) the dry content places the cat about 50% behind on his or her water consumption for the day, 2) virtually all dry food has higher carbohydrate to protein ratio than is ideal for cats (this extra carb load can go directly to fat and may expose the cat to increased glycation processes (similar to oxidation)), and 3) the lack of a suden stomach expansion by food does not stimulate the intestinal release of serotonin which helps promote intestinal motility (thus it can help promote constipation and other GI issues as due to a theory promoted by Dr Broadhurst. For this reason, dry food may predispose cats to obesity, diabetes, urinary problems and constipation issues. Some people worry about wet food with dental problems. This is more of an issue with dogs. Most cats with severe dental disease have an immune related disorder, not related to food. Regardless all cats should be monitored and treated for dental disease as it arises.

Hope that helps. :pawprint: