Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I got bit!

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 01:38 AM
Was venturing back from the mailbox this evening when I met a couple walking the cutest little dog, shizu (?) not sure how to spell it, but I thought what a cute lil fella, looks like an oreo blizzard on legs.
Anyway, we talked for a couple minutes, they asked me if I had dogs, I said yes, they asked me what breed, I told them and in unison they went "ohhhhh".
I asked if their dog was friendly, and if I could pet him and they said yes.
So I knelt down, let the dog sniff my hand for a bit and then went to stroke him . I hate putting my hand over a strange dog's head, so I always go for the chest area first, or somewhere where they can see my hand.
Well if the little bugger didn't bite me! And hard too! Not hard enough to draw blood, but hard enough that it hurt pretty good. I drew my hand back, I was stunned, he lunged at me snarling and growling and snapping in the air.
I stood up, looked at my hand, you could see teeth pressure marks and it was begining to bruise already, I bruise badly easily.
The owners just chuckled, they thought it was funny. They said he must've smelled my big bad pitbulls on me and felt he needed to defend himself...:frustrated:
I shook my head and excused myself from the situation. I got about 15 ft away when the man yelled at me, "bring out one of your Pitbulls, our dog will take a round out of it too!", his wife laughing.
I kept walking....I didn't feel I could handle getting into it with them at that point.
I wondered as I iced my hand, what if it was a child that had asked to pet their dog and got bit, would they have laughed and carried on like that? Probably.
:mad:

Macomom
March 3rd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Luvmypitgirls- I feel your pain. This was the situation, almost verbatim, when I got bit by the chi a couple of months back.
It is so far from funny to me, and completely reinforces the double standard of acceptable behaviour between breeds.
Can you imagine the situation if one of your pitties had grazed a hand with a bite? Or even if they just snapped and growled at a friendly stranger?

:frustrated: These situations make me grumpy. I have got to go see cute puppy/kitty pictures before going to work- cheer me up.

Love4himies
March 3rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
You did the right thing to walk away, but I would be tempted to report the dog and the incident to authorities. Those owners need to either socialize the dog or not allow strangers to pet it. What a bunch of :loser:

Tundra_Queen
March 3rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
That is terrible! I agree with L4H, I would report that dog and those stupid owners! I can't believe they actually thought it as funny! Was your skin broken?

Debbie

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
You are a better person than me. I would have looked them straight in the eye and asked them what they would have done if my pit bull had done the same to them? I'm sorry, I would have reported it. I don't doubt many situations like that occur, but nobody reports it, because it's a small dog, and the media surely wouldn't report a Shihztu bite it's not exciting enough.

I hope your feeling better.

14+kitties
March 3rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
You did the right thing to walk away, but I would be tempted to report the dog and the incident to authorities. Those owners need to either socialize the dog or not allow strangers to pet it. What a bunch of :loser:

Ditto!! Take a few pictures of your hand - bruise. Take it to the proper authorities. Let them know what happened. It's people like that that perpetrate pitties bad name and don't do anything to stop their own little terror. And yes, I have a little dog. She was never allowed to do that!!

Spatx
March 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Ugh, what :loser:'s. I've been bitten by dogs just twice, and both of them drew blood... a Yorkshire terrier and a Pug/Beagle X. People do not take it seriously, it's almost like a joke to them and it is very frustrating. People apply double standards, but I expect dogs no matter the size or breed to be trained and handled in an appropriate manner. If you know your dog has any kind of aggression or situational problems, you take precautions to avoid it... not let your dog bite someone and then laugh! :mad:

Hope your hand is doing alright. I bruise easily as well and know that even a bite without breaking skin can be quite painful.

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
I absolutely would have called Animal Control and reported the bite.

How do you think those idiotic stats get so out of whack? Because we all know, Golden's are family dogs, Lab's never bite people, little dogs feel threatened by big-bad-you....

Nuh-uh should they be allowed to get away with this $#@^. You SHOULD phone and report it. Even if you can't identify the couple, the dog or where they live ~ phone and report it.

Anecdotes lead to laws like BSL.

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
I am going to report it, I didn't report it yesterday because the Bylaw office was closed by the time this happened, and I hate talking to answering machines.

dollface
March 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hearing this made me so mad for you! Ppl like this shouldn't even be able to have pets at all, no remorse whatsoever! Report if you can and I hope you heal quick!

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
I am going to report it, I didn't report it yesterday because the Bylaw office was closed by the time this happened, and I hate talking to answering machines.

Good! Because you know if the shoe were on the other foot, they would have reported it.

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Good! Because you know if the shoe were on the other foot, they would have reported it.

Yes I'm sure they would've. I just wish I had more info to give other than, I was bit by a really cute dog, no he didn't break the skin, his owners were a couple of buttmunchers, no I don't know where they live, no I didn't get their names, the dude was rude,they laughed , they didn't care that their dog bit me....end of statement.:shrug:

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM

<insert picture of me and a thousand pitties dancing on our hind legs>

Good!!!

aslan
March 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
wow it actually sounds like they did it on purpose..hmmm our dog bites, she owns evil pitties,,get her....keep your eye out lmpg i'm sure you'll see them again,,quietly stalk them home and then you have an address to give the powers that be.

aslan
March 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
<insert picture of me and a thousand pitties dancing on our hind legs>

Good!!!

ummmm you have front legs?

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
You haven't met my DH Triseratops? :D

aslan
March 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
You haven't met my DH Triseratops? :D

ummmm nope,, does he bite. then again can i trust you to answer honestly..i don't get why people say " oh no he won't bite" happened to poor qman last year,,asked was it ok to let the two dogs meet...oh sure,,thank the lord q has such a thick scruff.

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
wow it actually sounds like they did it on purpose..hmmm our dog bites, she owns evil pitties,,get her....keep your eye out lmpg i'm sure you'll see them again,,quietly stalk them home and then you have an address to give the powers that be.

I was thinking it was on purpose too aslan. I am going to be watching for them, and perhaps I'll start taking the two pitgirls and the rottie to the mailbox with me, in the chance that they will be out for a walk...I'll offer them to come pet my dogs, they won't bite.....only difference is I'll be telling the truth.
However I'm sure they'll pick up their dog and cross the street when they see us.

Kay9
March 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
What a couple of imbeciles. It's too bad that the dog will have to suffer the consequences of its half-wit owners.

Shaykeija
March 3rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
I am sorry you got bit. And those little buggers pack a punch for such small things....The only dog that has ever bitten me was Sir Quincy. He nailed me twice in a matter of seconds and drew blood both times. But I realized it was a fear bite, he was abused and I think kicked so when I slid him over with my foot, he nailed me. I have worked on this and can move him now with my feet and he just looks at me and moves....Dumb ass-ed owners..they had to know their Shih Tzu would bite...

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
I am sorry you got bit. And those little buggers pack a punch for such small things....The only dog that has ever bitten me was Sir Quincy. He nailed me twice in a matter of seconds and drew blood both times. But I realized it was a fear bite, he was abused and I think kicked so when I slid him over with my foot, he nailed me. I have worked on this and can move him now with my feet and he just looks at me and moves....Dumb ass-ed owners..they had to know their Shih Tzu would bite...

Shih Tzu......why can't I remember that :frustrated:

Well they seemed to be very amused with the whole situation....I just hope they don't subject a child to the same experience.

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
I am going to report it,

good for you !! :thumbs up

Well they seemed to be very amused with the whole situation....

that I can't believe , that they laughed about it :frustrated:

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Yep, they seemed to get a great chuckle out of it Frenchy....(sigh) thankfully idiots like these are far and few between.

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
It is unacceptable , small dogs need same training than big dogs. I try to treat Jack the same as the others. I want him to be as well behave. :shrug: too bad too many small dogs owners don't .

coppperbelle
March 3rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Unbelievable. I hope you do report them and they receive a warning or better still a fine. Who will be laughing then.:laughing: I never touch little dogs for this very reason.

mummummum
March 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Yep, they seemed to get a great chuckle out of it Frenchy....(sigh) thankfully idiots like these are far and few between.

Absolutely true. The duh-owners think I'm joking when I tell them their snapping, snarling little "darling" is a SNACK which they need to remove...

Ohhhh man do not get me started on The Little Dog People. They REALLY are a distinct breed of human. And has anyone else noticed that they seem to have untold mounds of disposable income for dog clothes with matching carriers and diamond collars...

Oops...I'm starting to froth :D aren't I ? :sorry:

Luvmypitgirls
March 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Absolutely true. The duh-owners think I'm joking when I tell them their snapping, snarling little "darling" is a SNACK which they need to remove...

Ohhhh man do not get me started on The Little Dog People. They REALLY are a distinct breed of human. And has anyone else noticed that they seem to have untold mounds of disposable income for dog clothes with matching carriers and diamond collars...

Oops...I'm starting to froth :D aren't I ? :sorry:

LMAO M3X, too funny.

But I must admit, I'm a big dog person, who loves to buy clothes and diamond collars for my dogs tooo:o

I draw the line at painting toe nails tho....that to me is just pure silliness:rolleyes:

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
what ? :cool:

Luvmypitgirls
March 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM
what ? :cool:

LMAO.....lil Jack.....:cloud9:

cell
March 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Ditto!! Take a few pictures of your hand - bruise. Take it to the proper authorities. Let them know what happened.

this.......

MyBirdIsEvil
March 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Do you have a cellphone cam? I woulda taken a pic of them right then.

If you see them again I'd record the whole situation...