Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seperation

radioactive
March 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hello all,

I just got my first dog, a Westie / Poodle mix. It is 3 and a half months old. When I leave for the day, i put the dog in my kitchen and block it off with a childs gate, turn on the radio and give him water, toys and a pee pad. The dog attempts to escape while barking excessivly for about 40 mins before it calms down.

Does anyone have any techniques to make him calm so my next door friends are happy?

Melinda
March 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
do you give him any exercise before you retire him for the day?? A tired pup is a good pup, *S* you could also try getting him a kong, filled with treats and sealed with peanut butter, it would keep him busy for awhile.

radioactive
March 3rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
I take him for a long walk before I leave for the day, I also leave the kong with frozen treats inside so it takes longer for him to get at.

I dont know what else I can do.. help!

Melinda
March 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
here are a few threads that others posted/responded to with the same problem, read through them, there are some wonderful answers.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41033

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61495

mona_b
March 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with looking through the threads Melinda posted.

With some of the answers, crating was suggested. I would not suggest this if you are not home all day. That's far to long for a pup this age to be in it.

And I am sure s/he had other sibblings to keep him occupied. So now s/he is in a new home with new smells and a new owner. It will take a bit of time for pup to get used to this. And time for pup to get used to being alone.

You can also tire pup out by some play time before you leave. Roll a ball around for him to run after. You can tire a pup out mentally as much as physically.:)

By any chance can you get a friend to pop in after lunch to let the pup out and feed him/her? At this age, pup needs to be fed 3-4 times a day.

JennieV
March 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I had a little bit of that behaviour with Sparky. Puppies of that age require a lot of attention, you are currently replacing it's mom and siblings, its only natural he will cry and want to get out and come with you.

Try to avoid feeling sorry, eye contact while you're getting ready to leave, or talking to the pup in sad voice, all these will not make him feel better, on the contrary they will trigger him feeling sad because he will pick up on your mood. Just ignore him or play. What I used to do is throw Sparky toys while I was running around getting ready to leave, so he was thinkign it was playtime. Then, I would walk him really well, and play some more outside if that is possible (he should be good and tired by the time you putting him away in the closed area)

Another suggestion I can add is try to put him in the closed off area a few times while you're home, so he can see you and hear you walking around, doing your stuff, while he is put away. The purpose of this exersice is to make it seem less of a "punishment" and more of normalcy for him, right now he associates that with you being away(negative), and not with it being ok. So as soon as you put him in - he already knows whats coming.
Also, by doing so, you could work on stopping the unwanted behaviour, and rewarding him when he is being really good, hense motivating him to be good.

For example, put him in and close him off, with a kong. See what happens. If he starts going crazy, barking and asking to get out - ignore the bad behaviour, continue doing your stuff, if it gets really bad you could stop by and say NO firmly and encourage him to play with a toy or something. But try to ignore, as any attention to his bad behaviour will encourage it.

Then, when he's calmed down and is ok, you could praise him, give some treats and tell him what a good boy he is. Then, as the good behaviour continues you could open the door.

I would also recommend not to move his stuff around too much, like bowls, pee pad etc... Keep everything in the same place, closed off or not... If kitchen is the area you chose - keep it there, don't move it around. Basically, you are aiming to make it as NORMAL as can be for him to be in there, with or without you around, with or without gates. He should feel safe and ok to be in there, vs being punished and associating it with you being gone.

Good luck! :thumbs up