Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Concerned about my cat.

Slader
March 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
My cat has been acting strangely, for 3 days now she has been underneath my bed and will not come out, Even when i get her out, she goes right back under it. So i put her food and litter box next to the bed, She has been coming out and eating and yesterday i noticed she wasn't popping, But she is urinating. She came out for a little while today, when i was cleaning my closest, but she is back under my bed again. I don't think she is stressed out. Its fairly quiet at my house and she is the only animal i have.

She is a house cat, 3 or 4 years old i think. The only time she has ever been outside is the day i found her one winter morning as a kitten under my porch when it was snowing.. She has all of her shots and She has never been around another animal.

Here is some extra info.

Day 1 and 2: When i would lay on the floor to talk to her while she was under my bed, she would turn away from me, as if ignoring me and when i would reach to grab her, she would move further under the bed. When i finally did get her out, she just stared at me aimlessly as if she didn't know me or was scared of me.

Day 3: Today when i laid on the floor to talk to her she came up to me and licked me in the face and was acting some what normal again. She came out from under the bed and i held her and petted her like i always do and when i put her down, she went right back under the bed and now she is doing the same thing she was doing on day 1 and day 2.

I don't know what to do, or what is wrong with her. She has never acted like this.

SIDE NOTE: I did change her dry food about a week ago.

luckypenny
March 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
How long has it been since she's had a bowel movement? If nothing occurred in her environment to frighten her, I'd imagine she may be in pain. That could explain her hiding under the bed. Can you take her to be seen by a vet?

Slader
March 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Monday i believe is when she had her last bowel movement. She normally goes 4 or 5 times a day. She has been like that since she was a kitten.

And yes, If she didn't change her behavior today, i was planing on taking her to the vet tomorrow.

Can cats get headaches?

Cause on the 2nd day when i got her out from under the bed, i was petting her head and she made a loud meow at me and tried to bite and claw me, Normally that part wouldn't bother me, because that is how we play. She is very aggressive, but she purrs the entire time we are fighting, but this time, she really tried to attack me..

14+kitties
March 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Any time there is a change in a cats' normal behaviour it is time to see a vet. The sooner the better.
If you changed dry food a week ago that may be part of the problem. She may be constipated, almost certainly dehydrated from eating dry food. Vet please. Let us know.

Slader
March 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I will take her to our vet first thing in the morning and i will let y'all know.

Love4himies
March 3rd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Good luck at the vet today :goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen
March 3rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
I hope the vet can find out what is wrong with your kitty.

Debbie

Slader
March 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
The vet can't see her today, He will be available to tomorrow tho.

I told them what my cat was doing and they said they have never heard of that before.

My cat is still under my bed, but today She is pooping again, and drinking her water.

I am starting to think that maybe something did scare her. I taught my cat how to fetch when she was a kitten, and since then every time i ball up paper she comes running for it. Last night before bed i laid down on the floor and balled up some paper where she could see me, she acted like she wanted it so i threw it and she went to get it, but she stopped right at the opening to my bed.

As stated in my other post, i did change her food. I have always gave her dry food tho, cause she refuses to eat anything that is moist. She was raised on dry food and bottled water.

Any recommendations on what kind of food i could try for her? Or should i go back to the previous dry food i was using?

Love4himies
March 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
It IS normal behaviour for cats who are sick, scared or in pain, so I am wondering how much this vet knows about cats :frustrated:. He should be VERY concerned about the lack of pooping (glad to hear that has done one though :thumbs up).

As for eating, get her to eat what ever you can and keep a close eye on her bowel movements. It is very important for her to continue to eat something, but the change in food will not cause her to hide (as in being angry at you). Constipation due to the change in food may though.

Kibble is not good for cats, canned is much better as it allows them to get the proper amounts of water: Once she is feeling better, you can then attempt to change her food if you wish.

http://www.catinfo.org/

Slader
March 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Last night i blocked off the opening to the bottom of my bed. I wanted to test something out, and sure enough i woke up with her laying on my side, where she used to sleep at.

She is back to normal today, her bowl movements are back to normal and she is back to her old aggressive self. I unblocked my bed when i woke up this morning, and my cat has not tried to hide under it. Course that could change later today, but right now she is bouncing from chair to chair.

I also bought the previous cat food i was using, and i bought a small pack of Whiskas wet cat food. She is not fond of wet food, but ill give it to her in small doses and maybe she will take to it.

Love4himies
March 4th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear she is pretty much back to normal:thumbs up. Getting her on a quality canned food is very important for her overall health.

Can you imagine eating dried crackers all the time and only being able to use your tongue to drink water? :eek:.

catlover2
March 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Whenever one of my cats went off its food, whether they're sick, stressed or bored with its food, I usually tested it by giving it "Fancy Feast" . It's kitty cocaine, and most cats absolutely go crazy for it. :crazy: A sick, stressed, in pain cat :sick: will usually turn up its nose at "Fancy Feast"....at least that's been my experience.