Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help - finding new home for a dog

mysherry
March 2nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
I am posting this because we are faced with a difficult decision regarding our 1.5 year old shih-tzu. He comes from a back yard breeder and when we got him 6 months ago he came with lots of problems as all dogs from puppy mills do. He was not house trained, was afraid of people, afraid of dogs to the point that he snapped at both people and other dogs.

He got very attached to me from day one. He is a truly loving and sweet dog (only with me). He started accepting my young kids and also got better with other dogs. Recently I started crating him to get him house trained and it goes quite well.

The problem we are facing has to do with allergies my 7 year old son started to show after we got the dog. I thought that having a hypoallergenic breed won’t be so bad, until this last Saturday when he got a bad asthma attack and had to spend the night in hospital. The doctors told me point blank that I need to ‘get rid of the dog’.

I know that this type of dog can’t go to just anyone. Humane society said that if he has these types of problems he will be put down. He requires lots of time, attention and training, and only a special person who knows what puppy mill dogs are all about, will be suitable for him.
We are willing to help in many ways the person who will take him. I write to this list because this is a community dedicated to dogs and cats lovers and will never tell me as many of my friends do ’ just put him down, it’s only a dog’.

If anyone would be interested in more details, please let me know. I must find him a home as soon as possible since my son now is on medications for the asthma. The kids are devastated. We all came to love him so much!

BenMax
March 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
I see you are from the Ottawa region. Infact there is an excellent rescue group close to you that specialize with puppymill dogs. Also - if they cannot help, there are 2 other groups in Ontario.

PM me if you are interested and I will give you contact names and e-mail addresses.

Melinda
March 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
there is a wonderful rescue in Ottawa that has a lot of success working with puppy mill dogs, I brought them a hopeless one a few years ago and she's an amazing dog now!

Love4himies
March 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
What if it is dust mites causing the allergies and not the dog?

BenMax
March 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
there is a wonderful rescue in Ottawa that has a lot of success working with puppy mill dogs, I brought them a hopeless one a few years ago and she's an amazing dog now!

Then please share the name of that rescue to the OP. The more she has, the better success she will have.

mysherry
March 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
It's not dust mites. Shortly after we got the dog, I noticed some sympthoms and I was refered to an allergy doctor who did the skin tests. He came up positive to dog, cats and hamster.
The allergy doctor told me then that if I don't get rid of the dog, it can develop into asthma, but I told him that it's a hypo-allergenic dog that doesn't shed. He said that there are no such dog. It's from the saliva, not only the dandruf.

It will be a first time for me to live without a pet. I was born with pets in the house, and I always had at least 1 in my house. When my son was born we had a cat in the house, and still he developed allergies.

BenMax
March 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Mysherry - there is a cat that you can have. It's called a siberian. Read up on this breed.

Sorry that you must re-home the dog. But I do understand.

Love4himies
March 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
It's not dust mites. Shortly after we got the dog, I noticed some sympthoms and I was refered to an allergy doctor who did the skin tests. He came up positive to dog, cats and hamster.
The allergy doctor told me then that if I don't get rid of the dog, it can develop into asthma, but I told him that it's a hypo-allergenic dog that doesn't shed. He said that there are no such dog. It's from the saliva, not only the dandruf.

It will be a first time for me to live without a pet. I was born with pets in the house, and I always had at least 1 in my house. When my son was born we had a cat in the house, and still he developed allergies.

Just wanted to make sure, doctors tell pregnant women to get rid of their beloved cats, so I don't have a lot of trust in them.

You are right, there are NO hypoallergenic dogs and I don't think they should be legally be allowed to be advertised as such.

I am sorry you have to say goodbye to your dog :( :grouphug:

Melinda
March 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Then please share the name of that rescue to the OP. The more she has, the better success she will have.

am I allowed to in open forum?

BenMax
March 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
am I allowed to in open forum?

No but I Pm'd her my list. We may have the same contacts but I am certain that you will recommend the one that starts with an 'A' which I did not give her.

The more avenues she has the better. Go for it.

mysherry
March 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
To Melinda,

You can eamil using the private message option.

Thanks!

BenMax
March 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
To Melinda,

You can eamil using the private message option.

Thanks!

Et voila!

She will PM you I am certain. Please remember one thing when dealing with rescues. E-mail one and not all. If you do this and 2 say yes..then you are in a pickle. Just some friendly advice.

Melinda
March 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
no Benmax it starts with a B

BenMax
March 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
no Benmax it starts with a B

Then you and I are recommending the same but this was my second choice.

Melinda
March 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
good, two recommendations are better than one!

cassiek
March 2nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Best of luck finding the little guy a new home.

As a future suggestion, your son may really enjoy looking after a fishtank if he would like a pet... perhaps a smaller tank (i.e. 10 gallons). It would be suitable with his allergies... :thumbs up