Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Seperation Anxiety!

Bella's Mommy!
February 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hello,
I just joined and was hoping to find some advice regarding my puppy Bella. Bella is going to be 6 months soon and is experiencing a rather severe case of separation anxiety. We received Bella from the breeder when she was 4 months old as the original family who bought her could no longer take care of her. We are crate training her however she hates her crate! I have it placed in the living room with many comfy blankets. When we first got her we slowly introduced her to her crate. When we left we would leave the radio on and I gave her a kong with peanut butter in it or cookies as well as safe toys. I have also tried giving her bones that we found she likes to chew on. Before I leave for work I take her for a long walk and then she goes into her crate. I don't make a fuss over her when she is going in her crate or coming out.

I took my vets advice and video taped her when I left, turns out she cries and howls for at least an hour straight(thats when the battery dies on the camera). While in her crate she also digs at her blankets and pays no attention to any toys or treats in her crate. She is too busy pacing back and fourth, digging at her blankets and crying(a crazy cry!). People who pass the house must feel she is being hurt or something! I do not know what to do next! I feel I have tried many things and yet she is still very very upset! I feel bad leaving her but have no choice. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!:pawprint:

luckypenny
February 27th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hi Bella's Mommy, welcome to pets.ca :).

Do you ever leave Bella in her crate for short periods when you're at home? Perhaps leave her chew on a stuffed Kong or recreational bone while you're in the room with her for a few minutes? Or have her take her naps in there on days you're home? It may help teach her not to associate the crate only with your leaving her alone.

Bella's Mommy!
February 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. We did leave her in it for short periods of time in the beginning but maybe we should be continuing to do it....