Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wheaten Terrier aggressive to a puppy today

barbara001
February 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi....my Wheaten Terrier, Fritz, is two years old and usually very social around other dogs. He has been around dogs since he was a puppy, but every now and then he meets a dog that he doesn't seem to like and becomes very agressive.

Today my neighbour (who Fritz loves), brought over her new female doberman puppy. As I went to let them in, Fritz starting growling and barking like crazy. Very strange behavior for him. We ended up not letting them in since the puppy was terrified.

The puppy is not netuered, could that be the problem?

Etown_Chick
March 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
From what I've seen, un-neutered males really set off the other males. My Scruffy is half-wheaten and he is picky, either he likes a dog or he hates it. I've seen no connection either way, he just doesn't like some dogs.
I'd suspect it's the hormonal issue, but you never know with dogs. I'd try to introduce them away from your home in a neutral spot and see how it goes.

barbara001
March 3rd, 2010, 01:04 AM
Good idea...will aim to meet in the park, that could get them acquainted.

BenMax
March 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
I agree with a poster who stated to introduce a dog on neutral ground. My recommendation is to take him for a walk along side the puppy. If your dog protests, keep moving forward until the commotion ceases.

Your dog is also letting the pup know that he does not appreciate over zealous behaviour. This is normal, unless your dog attacked the pup unprovoked.

Ensure that your dog is always supervised and properly corrected if he has another outburst.

Good luck and keep us updated after your outings with your dog and the pup.