Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jack Russell Terrier - Shedding a lot

malty
February 24th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I live in Toronto. I have a 6month old Jack Russell Terrier. Lately he's been shedding a lot. He would sit on me and I would be covered.

He loves to sit near the air vents where the heat comes out, When I noticed he would always go there to sit, I put his pillow next to the vent.

My guess is that the heat is making him shed so much. so I've since moved his pillow away and I've tried to block him off from all the heat vents. (I've only started doing this 2 days ago), He still sheds.

My question is, is this shedding normal? I always thought that he would be shedding in the summer when it's hot, not when it's freezing cold outside.
I do take him out for walks. but the majority of the time he is indoors.

Thanks.

Marty11
February 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Terriers do shed. Good quality food will minimize shedding.

Bina
February 24th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Hello and welcome.
Like Marty said: JRTs will shed and buy the best food you can afford;
or add a daily supplement of Omegas (fish oil caps perhaps).
Sometimes running a humidifier during the winter months can help a bit too.

Tommysmom
February 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Yep, mine sheds pretty much 24/7. I use a good brush similar to a furminator, that really cuts down on the dog hair in the house.

buddingartist
February 24th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Friends of ours have 2 Jack Russell and no matter what season of the year we visit, they shed and I try and avoid wearing dark colors:) but they are such good dogs (one of them in particular is so cuddly) that we just brush our clothes when we come home.

mafiaprincess
February 27th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I have a friend who breeds JRTs. They all shed a good amount no matter the weather. My cockers don't shed much. I'm always amazed at how much Jack fur I end up wearing and they are all on raw diets and thriving on them.