Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat bite infection

lindapalm
February 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Our cat developed an infection on his lower back, I assume from being bitten from another one of our cats. I shaved the area, and it oozed pus. I cleaned it off with peroxide, and have been putting Neosporin on it. The area around the bite is still somewhat swollen, and is still tender, after about three days. Is there something else I can do, or is this something that has to be handled by a vet. Will it go away in time, or just get worse?

sugarcatmom
February 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Cat bites easily result in an infected abscess, which is probably what is going on here. In all likelihood, antibiotics will be necessary to help it heal. Here is some more info for you: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_bite_wound_abscess.html

lindapalm
February 22nd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Sugarcatmom, thanks for the website about bite infections. I tried putting the warm washcloth on the infection like it suggested, Spencer wasn't too happy, but I'll keep trying. If he isn't any better by Friday I'll have to take him to the vet, I don't want it to get as bad as some of the pictures that were shown.

RUSTYcat
February 23rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
lindapalm-
I have a caution for you...if it looks like you'll be going to the Vet, I suggest you read through this thread beforehand http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57265

lindapalm
February 23rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Rustycat, is there a pill form of an antibiotic that vets still give for infections, or do they automatically give convenia? The wound swelling isn't getting any smaller, so I'll probably have to take him in. He is a creampuff to pill, so I'm going to insist on oral meds, they probably won't agree, but it isn't worth the risk.

sugarcatmom
February 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Definitely get the oral antibiotics, not an injection (thanks for bringing that up, RUSTYcat). Make sure you give them after food though as that will lessen the likelihood of digestive issues. Keep an eye on appetite because some cats become nauseous and stop eating, which is dangerous. Some probiotics mixed into wet food will help rebalance the good intestinal bacteria that gets killed off with antibiotic use.

Good luck, and I hope the abscess heals quickly.

lindapalm
February 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the tips, I was hoping it would clear up on its own, but it doesn't look like it. As I said, he'll be easy to pill, were currently giving one of our other cats meds for a nasal infection and me and my husband both end up bleeding after every dosage.

catlover2
February 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Wrap up "other cat" mummy-style in a towel. Maybe a 2-person job here, one to pry mouth open, the other to medicate.

lindapalm
February 24th, 2010, 06:14 PM
We are able to give the crazy cat meds one time, and the rest of the week he hides under the couch. We have to move the couch and try to grab him on the run or throw a blanket over him. He has no teeth, but does major damage with his claws. He was feral when we got him, and we can't make any moves towards him.

lindapalm
February 25th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Took Spencer to the vet today, he said his back had to be lanced and left to drain, he's keeping him overnight. He disagreed with me when I told him I didn't want a Convenia given, said they've had good luck with them. I told him some of my cats have had the shot and it didn't help, plus, if theres a chance of something going wrong, why take the chance. Don't know what he'll end up giving him yet.