Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone have some good references for the raw diet?

cassiek
February 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Hi all,

I have been chatting with one of my co-workers these past few months as I have switched my dogs over to a raw diet.

She's pretty skeptical and critical, and doesn't believe me that raw bones and a raw diet are far superior for keeping a dog's teeth cleaned compared to kibble, which she claims must clean better as the kibble "crunches" in the dog's mouth and should scrape any tarter, plaque etc. off the teeth. :rolleyes:

I have been hunting around trying to find some good info to prove my case and haven't found alot that goes into specific details... did find on one website the following info:

"Will BARF DIET™ keep my dog's teeth clean?
The results are in and it's obvious that dog's fed a raw diet have much cleaner teeth. The processed or cooked foods eaten by dogs today are high in two substances; soluble carbohydrates and soluble calcium. These two nutrients attack a dog's mouth at every meal. In addition, processed foods do not contain the naturally occurring enzymes found in raw foods so necessary for clean teeth. Through the use of raw bones and a healthy BARF diet, your dog can have a sparkling smile!"

This is good info, but I'd like to go to her with something a bit more specific so there's no question whatsoever that raw bones are better than kibble to keep a dog's teeth clean! Any journal articles, legit internet sources etc. would be appreciated! :lovestruck:

Thanks all!

bendyfoot
February 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
It's incredibly difficult to find good, peer-reviewed, scientific articles on raw diets, because no one wants to fund them. Guess who gets funded? People evaluating H@lls, S#ience Diet etc. :rolleyes:

All the proof I need:

2 annual health exams ago (before raw), Vet: "Jaida is probably going to need a dentistry in the next year or so, she is developing significant tartar buildup"

1 annual health exam ago, after about 8 months of raw, Vet: "Have you been brushing her teeth? They look fantastic. Scratch the dentistry."

Voila. :D

cassiek
February 22nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
That's awesome Bendy! :thumbs up

For me also, I don't need any "scientific" literature as I have seen the real results with my eyes in all three of my dogs (who knew I could ever find a diet that works for three very different dogs with very different requirements - the beauty of raw!). She's the type of person who loves to "google" everything - so I was hoping to find some good information I could pass along her way while I "gently" educate her... haha! :thumbs up

Love4himies
February 23rd, 2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.4loveofdog.com/benefits.htm

I can't speak on experience with raw on dogs, but can with cats.

Puddles, senior himalayan, greasy, thinning fur, constant vomiting, no muscle mass. Changed her food from kibble to 1/2 quality canned/1/2 homemade raw and she now has beautiful, thick fur, she developed muscle mass, and rarely vomits.

Foster kittens: 100% raw diets: Vets can't believe the muscle mass these kittens have over other kittens fed a commercial diet. Not one vet, but three different ones have commented on them. :cat:

shirley1011
February 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
Our oldest Elkhound could hardly get around with arthritis in her back legs ...since being on raw diet she is off hunting with the rest of them...no not with "leading" the rest of them. Just amazing diet and their teeth are all so white and bright...even Jack whose were oh so yellow when we adopted him.
Even our vet is supportive of a raw diet!