Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

been a while - question about a kitty.

rhynes
February 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
A friend has a kitten, a beautiful ragdoll siamese but they are having issues with her... It's to the point where they are considering getting rid of her so i'm hoping someone here can help...

The problem is with her not always using the litterbox - she seems to always pee in it but will poop on the floor outside the box and other times on the carpet around the apartment.

She's about 3 months old and has had problems with diarrhea but that's cleared up with vet visits. Not sure what it was.

From what i understand, her mother died giving birth and she's been raised by hand til my friends bought her.

please help, i don't want to see this kitty go elsewhere.

Thanks.

rg_girlca
February 20th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Your friend is very lucky to own a Ragdoll. I LOVE them.

Okay, on with the problem. I would suggest getting another litter box. Some kittys do not like to go where they pee or poop for that matter. I have a few like that.
A few questions also.
Is the litter box near her food? Have they changed the litter in any way?
Do they have another cat that might be attacking the kitty when she is trying to go in the box?
These are just a few things that come to my mind.

rhynes
February 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM
i'll have to find a pic to post for you, she's got perfect markings and typical for a ragdoll - closest thing to a dog...

They had a regular litterbox, she was doing pooping on the floor with it.. so they bought a big rubbermaid container and cut a hole in the front for her to use thinking a bigger size may help.

There are no other animals in the home, just her.
They haven't changed her litter as of yet, but it's a suggestion i made to her. Another friend has a 10 year old ragdoll and it can be very finicky...

diandpat
February 20th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I was wondering about a second box too. Zuzu will not pee and poop in the same box. I have them side by side and she will always move.

Ziggy, on the other, will do anything in either...usually right after I have cleaned them :laughing::laughing:

14+kitties
February 20th, 2010, 11:32 PM
A few more questions -
Has she been treated for worms?
Where is the box situated? If it is by a washing machine or other appliance is it possible the appliance turned on while she was in the box defacating? If possible the noise may have scared her enough she does not want to use the box for pooping.
How big is the box?
Is it covered? Some cats do not like covered and/or small boxes. Either another box for her to poop in or a larger box so she doesn't have to stand in the same spot she peed may do the trick.
How often is the box cleaned? A dirty box will keep cats out of it. At the very least once a day the boxes need cleaned. Twice is great!!
Hopefully one of those things may be the problem and it is easily fixed.

A good cleaner for cleaning the area the kitty has used for her bathroom is 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol, 2 cups water, mixed in a spray bottle and sprayed liberally on the spot.

rhynes
February 20th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Has she been treated for worms?

She's gotten a clear bill of health from the vet.

Where is the box situated? If it is by a washing machine or other appliance is it possible the appliance turned on while she was in the box defacating? If possible the noise may have scared her enough she does not want to use the box for pooping.

The box is in a spare bathroom, nobody uses it and has total privacy.

How big is the box?
it's a large rubbermaid container.

Is it covered? Some cats do not like covered and/or small boxes. Either another box for her to poop in or a larger box so she doesn't have to stand in the same spot she peed may do the trick.

Yep it's covered, the old one wasn't.

How often is the box cleaned? A dirty box will keep cats out of it. At the very least once a day the boxes need cleaned. Twice is great!!

This woman is a clean freak :eek:

rg_girlca
February 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I would really suggest to your friend to get another litter box and place it beside the other one about 6 inches apart.

Also in regards to the rubbermaid container, I hope they put some tape around the edges to smooth the rough edging from cutting it.

Personally, being only 3 months old, I would have started her off with a small litter box meant for kittens until she is old enough to get in and out of a regular one more comfortably.

I don't know if you have them where you are, but here in Montreal, we can buy what is called a starters kit for kittens. The litter box comes with regular clay litter and it's a throw away after about a week to 2 weeks use. They aren't expensive. I buy them anywhere from $3.99 to $4.99. You just pull the top off and set it down.

Also I hope your friend isn't using clumping litter as this is not recommended for kittens. The reason is that kittens like to play in their litter and sometimes will swallow it and she can become sick by swallowing the clumping litter. Also the dust isn't good for them to breath either.

Oh and by the way, I would LOVE to see a picture of the kitten.

14+kitties
February 20th, 2010, 11:45 PM

Yep it's covered, the old one wasn't.

That may possibly be the problem. Especially if she was going alright before and this only started after they got the bigger box.
What type of worm meds did they treat the kitten with? You said clean bill of health but she needs to be treated. Was she treated with one that would have gotten all types of worms? Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to pinpoint.
I would try taking the lid off the box first. May be an easy fix.

Jim Hall
February 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM
get another un covered or take thecoveroff

rhynes
February 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Well, she's changed her food a few times as well, guess the poops are a little soft as well... i know she's had to try different foods as well, recommended by a vet. i'm going to go to my favorite pet store tomorrow and get a few things, like a different quality food.

i'll get her to try these recommendations as well... don't want to see her get rid of this kitten, she'll regret it and she's already bonded with it big time.

pics attached

rg_girlca
February 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
OMG!!!! She is absolutely A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!!!!!

Please tell her not to even think about getting rid of her as this is a problem that can be dealt with. BUT, she can ship her to me ANYTIME!!! LOL!!!!
Just joshin with ya.

My ragdoll mix would just love her.

Here's a picture of my Nugget and he is such a loveable cat.

MotherTrust
February 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM
Lovely looking cat!

If nothing else works, keep an eye on my posts around the site. I have an aggressive dog and am working closely with a friend who claims he can cure this behaviour and turn it into goodness withing a few sessions of working with him.

He says that he can treat any animal (he's worked with horses, cats, dogs etc etc) and that most problems he has had success in!
I will give everyone the details once i see progress in my animal as i don't want to advertise anything that potentially might not work.

Thanks,
MotherTrust.

Love4himies
February 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Has this person contacted the breeder to find out if this kitten ever used a litter box to go poop in? What type of litter box and litter was the breeder using?

She is still a baby, and some kittens are harder to litter train than others, especially if they don't have a momma to show them.

I agree with the two litter boxes, one covered, one uncovered and one of them should be a kitten size. One of my foster kittens would not use an adult size litter box and I had to use a tinfoil cake pan :rolleyes:. I also had to change to a clay litter because she didn't like the feel of the pellets :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

She may also want to put the poops back into the new litter box so the kitten will associate that litter box with pooping.

Good luck.

rhynes
February 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all the responses... i've relayed them to her but I haven't talked to her in a couple of days.