Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccination Side Effects?

crazykewl
February 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
We took our 8 month and 1 year old cats to get their first set of vaccination shots. (Yeah, we were late on this but were waiting to see if their old owners had them done)

Today Alex (8m) seems like hes in a little bit of pain, when he walks hes slightly crouched but he seemed to jump up and down from the couch ok.

He wouldnt take a treat from me and wont eat yet.

It hasnt quite been 24 hours so Im not overly worried but these are our 3rd and 4th cats.

Our first kitten had to be p.t.s. at 6 months and our last kitty somehow got out and never returned when he was 8 months so we get a little panicky when it comes to our kittys.

The vaccinations they received are

Distemper
Rhinotracheitis
Calici Virus
Chlamydia

I did a little googling and saw that some kittens can have side effects for a couple of days and I shouldnt worry until 36 hours has passed and he is the same.

They were vaccinated around 430pm yesterday and it is now 220pm so it hasnt even been 24 hours. He was fine all last night until early this afternoon. . .

Any advice? Should I run to the clinic or just watch him for the next couple of hours?

catlover2
February 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM
So how is Alex today? any improvement? I would think you should be seeing improvement by now, if not give the vet a call.

Love4himies
February 20th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I have had cats who have taken a couple of days to recover.

Dr Lee
March 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I hope Alex is doing better.

Here is some basic tips and ideas on vaccine reactions in cats.

1) Always, always use non-adjuvanted vaccines. Adjuvants have been linked to cancer risk that can occur even 8 to 10 years after vaccination. Here is a link to an article on Vaccine Associated Sarcomas (http://www.acerlux.com/petscaarticles/vaccinecancers.html) which details what a non-adjuvanted vaccine is. I would always ask your vet. I wish they had a better "normal" name other than adjuvant.

2) Vaccines can cause a variety of side effects. Typically in cats, vomiting is a common clinical sign. Soreness, decreased appetite and lethargy are also common. Treatment usually consists of supportive care such as pain medication, anti-vomiting medication, fluid therapy, etc.

3) Chlamydia is a non-core vaccine and has a high rate of reaction. Here is an excerpt from Dr Wolf: "Chlamydophylia isn't a problem for household pets. This vaccine might be useful on a short term basis in catteries or shelters having a respiratory disease outbreak due to confirmed infection with this agent. Like all bacterins, if you use Chlamydophia, it should be repeated yearly if you want reasonable protection. Since we don't want or need to give the FVRCP yearly and there is no "stand alone" Chlamydophila product to my knowledge, that makes its routine use somewhat problematic." - Alice M. Wolf, DVM, DACVIM, DABVP

4) Here is a link for what vaccines are recommended by AAFP (http://www.acerlux.com/vaccines/felinevaccines.html)and how often. Here is a link to AAFP site (http://www.catvets.com/professionals/guidelines/publications/index.aspx?ID=176).

Hope that helps. :pawprint: