Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 year old dog suddenly starts peeing!

fostermum
February 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
About 3 months ago I joined a small dog rescue group and soon after received our first official rescue foster dog: an 8 year old, almost completely blind and horribly obese Pom with hypothyroidism (what a mouthful). When she first arrived at my home she could "hold it" for 8 - 10 hours no problem, would cry to be let outside to pee/poo and, aside from the fact that she was so fat she could barely walk she was an absolute dream to care for. Unfortunately, all that changed over Christmas when I had to leave her with another foster mum while I visited family across the country. According to the mum who had her over Christmas she continued to be a dream for two of the three weeks that she had her but on week three our little Pom lady started peeing in the house, pooping in her crate and eating it and eating other dogs' poop (none of which she did prior).

We took her to the vet who ran a bunch of tests, the results of which told us that everything was great except for some elevated liver enzymes. We have since gone for follow up tests to make sure she doesn't have Cushings or some other disease and it now appears that her elevated enzymes are most likely linked to the fact that she has lost almost 5lbs in 3 months (down from 22lbs to 17lbs) so she now takes a hepatosupport multivitamin in addition to her regular thyroid pills and raw food diet.

Initially, I assumed that the peeing and pooping in the house her way of voicing her dissatisfaction with being bounced around from home to home and that it would resolve once she was re-established at my house where she seemed very happy prior to own Christmas vacation.

Now, it has been about 6 weeks since her triumphant return and she is still peeing and pooping in the house. It usually happens in the evening, rather than the morning but she has gone in about every room in my apartment and frequently right in front of me! I interrupt her and scold her when I catch her doing it and she seems to know that it's bad but she just won't stop. I've tried everything that I can think of and finally resorted to diapering her because I just couldn't keep cleaning up the messes (I live in a rental with wall to wall carpets). I am absolutely at the end of my rope because I remember how good she was a few months ago and I'm doing everything the same.

Help!

Frenchy
February 19th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Maybe it's just from all the changes in her life lately ?

I adopted a Pom a while back ... he's still not 100% clean in the house. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm his third family , he's only 1 year old so that's a lot to deal with for a dog IMO.

Give it time , patience and a lot of positive reinforcement. Do not scold her , just say NO (firmly) and take her outside. When she does it outside , praise her like crazy.

And understand that when you get her while she's doing it inside ... of course she will continue (finish) her pee , it's kind of hard to stop half way .... :shrug:

sbtb_eman
February 22nd, 2010, 01:03 AM
I was going to say it could be because of urin infection but you say you got that checked.

I was also going to say that it could be poor diet as wolves will often eat deer droppings in order to get the fiber they need in their diet which does not come from eating deer themselves.

Otherwise and most likely, it is because the dog is winning more points at the dominating game than you are and feels it needs to mark its territory. Possible?

Bailey_
February 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear about this. Have you tried keeping her on leash with you at all times? It sounds like you may have to resort to house-training 101 at this time, until she works through it again. Do you notice if she's been peeing on area rugs or carpets, or is it just anywhere?

Prevention will be key for you at this time. Keeping her on leash and forcing yourself to watch her so she can't sneak away is going to be the best thing to help her right now. And when you can't have her with you, put her in her kennel until you can.

bendyfoot
February 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
I was going to say it could be because of urin infection but you say you got that checked.

I was also going to say that it could be poor diet as wolves will often eat deer droppings in order to get the fiber they need in their diet which does not come from eating deer themselves.

Otherwise and most likely, it is because the dog is winning more points at the dominating game than you are and feels it needs to mark its territory. Possible?

It is extremely rare for dogs to eat poop of any kind because of nutritional deficiencies. Most of the time, it's just 'cause they like it. Dogs in the wild (wolves) are carnivores, but are opportunistic scavengers and will eat pretty much anything if their usual food source (meat) is not readily available. Same for our companion dogs. They don't "need" fibre if they're eating an all-meat/bone diet.