Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some good vibes and what to expect.

ancientgirl
February 18th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Hey guys. Tomorrow I'm taking the day off, because I need to drop Czari off at the vet to get her teeth cleaned. I've needed to do this for a while, but I've only now had the extra money to do it. I'm hoping it's just a cleaning she needs, as she doesn't have an issue eating and there's no drooling. Her breath is a little stinky though so I'm wondering if she might have to have a tooth pulled.

I'm hoping I can pick her up by the afternoon. If she does need to have a tooth pulled, should I do anything special for her food wise? They all eat canned so I'm thinking that's what she needs anyway.

sugarcatmom
February 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Canned food post-dental is perfectly fine. She may not eat as much as normal the first night, and in fact she probably shouldn't. You can add extra water to make the food more slurpy, if she's okay with that. She'll likely be quite groggy still and either just sleep or stare vacantly off into space. Some cats actually get extra hungry if they've had valium at some point during the procedure, but don't let her chow down too much all at once or she may hurl it back up. Smaller amounts of food more frequently are preferable to one big meal.

If she does need any teeth pulled, make sure she gets some pain meds for that. I'm a big fan of Fentanyl pain patches in these situations because then you don't have to mess with her mouth at all. The patch stays on for about 5 days and then either you can remove it, or if it's really stuck on, a quick trip to the vet where one of the techs can yoink it off. If she only gets a cleaning, she shouldn't need any extra analgesics.

Good luck! :fingerscr that all her teeth are healthy.

ancientgirl
February 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks so much SCM!!!!

I'm really hoping her teeth are okay. I know my poor girl is missing some front ones. If they wind up pulling any teeth, I'll ask about the patch. It's certainly preferable than trying to give her meds, especially if her mouth is tender.

hazelrunpack
February 18th, 2010, 01:57 PM
:fingerscr that she doesn't require any extractions! :goodvibes: Nice that you could take the day off to be with her...and keep an eye on Vlad! Sort of good timing in that way! Two birds with one stone and all that :D

Do you know when you'll be able to pick her up tomorrow?

ancientgirl
February 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
:fingerscr that she doesn't require any extractions! :goodvibes: Nice that you could take the day off to be with her...and keep an eye on Vlad! Sort of good timing in that way! Two birds with one stone and all that :D

Do you know when you'll be able to pick her up tomorrow?

Yes, it's actually good I'll be home tomorrow.

The clinic said if I dropped her off early, I might be able to pick her up by the early afternoon. I'll find out more tomorrow. I hate not having one of them at home. When I drop them off, I always think they feel like I'm abandoning them.

hazelrunpack
February 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Likely, after they give her the 'happy juice' she won't remember the rest of the day... She might not even realize she was gone. :D (Or at least, that's what I keep telling myself when I drop off one of ours. :o )

ancientgirl
February 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
That's true. She might think it was all just a dream.

14+kitties
February 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr:fingerscr your way!!!

ancientgirl
February 18th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr:fingerscr your way!!!

Thanks! I'm just nervous too because she's 5ish and the sedation is just worrying me.

Jim Hall
February 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM
makes sure she has waterthough almost all the cats ive had, even Du wanted a drink when they came to I usually dont feed them till the next day unless they are relly awake and asking for it

mummummum
February 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/magic/7.gif

Good vibes coming your way!

Tundra_Queen
February 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Sending good thoughts your way and I hope she just needs a cleaning! :grouphug:

Debbie

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I dropped her off about an hour ago. They told me to call at 2:00, and I'm hoping she'll be ready to bring home. The girl told me that they will only pull teeth if there are any that are rotting or infected.

She's such a good girl. I just want her to be okay.

hazelrunpack
February 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM
:goodvibes: for Czari, with some :grouphug:s thrown in for Mom, too! :D

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I just talked to the vet. She said they had to take out 2 of Czari's teeth. She said they had lost the enamel and they were starting to rot.

But she did really well, and she's just coming out of sedation. I can pick her up after 5, and they're going to send some pain medication with me.

I'm so glad she's okay.

Love4himies
February 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Awwww, poor czari :grouphug:. Bet she can't wait to see you and go home.

Are you able to get the pain patch for her?

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I can't wait to go get her! I asked the doctor about the pain patch, and she said it would be too strong for her. She said she will probably just need enough for 2 or 3 days. So, I asked they just give me some liquid meds, it's easier for me to medicate her with liquids.

hazelrunpack
February 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM
:goodvibes: for a quick recovery! The poor dear! Now that she's gotten rid of the bad teeth and the rest are sparkling white, she'll be feeling better in no time! :grouphug:

Was she showing any signs that those teeth were getting sore?

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM
:goodvibes: for a quick recovery! The poor dear! Now that she's gotten rid of the bad teeth and the rest are sparkling white, she'll be feeling better in no time! :grouphug:

Was she showing any signs that those teeth were getting sore?

Hazel, she wasn't showing any signs that they were bothering her. She was eating fine. But, she had VERY stinky breath, and I know that's a sign of something wrong in there.

hazelrunpack
February 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I'm glad they weren't bad enough to be bothering her, yet! :goodvibes:

Around here, really stinky breath means they've been eating poop again! :eeew: :o

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm glad they weren't bad enough to be bothering her, yet! :goodvibes:

Around here, really stinky breath means they've been eating poop again! :eeew: :o

:laughing::yuck:

onster
February 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
glad to hear all went well :thumbs up

Are u gonna start brushing her teeth now? (just wondering) I do on and off with bunduk (onnie hates it).

I hope she heals up v soon :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Onster, I've tried to brush their teeth on several occasions and they will not let me. :(

onster
February 19th, 2010, 04:41 PM
awww its ok don't feel bad about it. Honestly Onnie wont let me either bunduk just likes the taste so much that he tolerates me messing with him.

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
She's doing very well. They sent me home with some antibiotics, and some metcam for 2 days I gave her some watered down food and she ate it all. She's sitting next to me now, wanting some cuddles. :lovestruck:

I'm so happy she's okay! Thanks for the good vibes everyone!

Love4himies
February 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
:thumbs up Glad to hear she is eating, always a good sign in cats :highfive:.

Hopefully giving her the meds won't be too bad of an ordeal for her :pray:

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
:thumbs up Glad to hear she is eating, always a good sign in cats :highfive:.

Hopefully giving her the meds won't be too bad of an ordeal for her :pray:

Yeah I figure if she was eating that was a very good sign.

I'm hoping she won't be hard to medicate.:fingerscr

edwina
February 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
:goodvibes: for a speedy recovery for Czari. :cloud9:
:grouphug:

ancientgirl
February 20th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, Czari is doing really well today. I gave her her meds this morning, and while it wasn't easy, she did take her medication like a little trooper.

Vlad also looks to be back to himself. I think upping his food intake has helped him not scarf his food down.

Thanks everyone for all of the well wishes.:grouphug:

onster
February 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
yay! Im glad everything is going so smoothly :cloud9::goodvibes::grouphug: