Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A.c.o. ?

Jim Hall
February 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM
so i call the animal cotrol officer in my city someone i know speaks very little english HE has a vacant house next to ehere he lives with his family .

So apprantly a group of pussoms or racoons moved in to the vacant house and are starting ot be around his house also

THe aco says call the board of health , rodent division and they will lend you some traps then you can take them away and release them

AM I missing something here? Dint I just call the animal control officer?

luckypenny
February 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Jim, how about you call your city hall and ask exactly what the responsibilities of the AC are. They have a mandate that should be made available to the public seeing it's your tax dollars that pay his salary. Maybe he's not taking his job very seriously :shrug:?

Um, does your friend own that vacant property?

Jim Hall
February 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
no its probably owned by a bank

luckypenny
February 17th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Then I'd still call city hall for confirmation of the info he provided you with. I'd also call the Board of Health as he suggested. I'd just stop at having to do it yourself unless they put you or your friend on the municipal/state payroll :frustrated:.

mummummum
February 18th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Then I'd still call city hall for confirmation of the info he provided you with. I'd also call the Board of Health as he suggested. I'd just stop at having to do it yourself unless they put you or your friend on the municipal/state payroll :frustrated:.

Not only that, but I would make a point of advising the City that they are requiring you to endanger yourself. You have no training to use a humane trap (I know you do Jim, but from a legal standpoint it's irrelevant). I would note that you could be exposed to rabies etc. and you could injure yourself using the traps. I would ask if THEY will be paying your medical bills should you injure yourself. They are also asking you to trespass. Whoever owns the house can have you charged for trespassing AND if anything happens to their property while you are there, they can sue you for damages.

I would be getting everyone's name, confirming your convo's with them in writing (a faxed letter is better, email may or may not be admissible in your state court system) and ask that they respond to you in writing in each instance.

kathryn
February 18th, 2010, 07:32 AM
for whatever reason in NJ ACO's sometimes have different responsibilities then you would normally imagine. In some states the ACO runs the show and is in charge of rabies control and is in charge of running the county animal control shelter.. but in NJ ACO's are basically dog catchers and beyond that... not much else :shrug:

I'm willing to bet the same thing would happen if I called from my county. I remember I called before due to finding squirrels randomly dead all over my grandmoms neighborhood.. and they were like um what do you want us to do about that?

Try calling your borough.. non-emergency police line, local shelter etc.. I've trapped and released wild animals before and trust me it is tricky business. I am rabies vaccinated but a raccoon nearly got me once and they have some pointy teeth and nails.

and possums are just ugly lookin' :yuck:

mummummum
February 18th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Holy cow Kathryn... that's bizarre.

Jim, if you need any help writing letters or emails pm me ~ I am one of those ~ a beauroc-rat that is :D and I can pen a pretty mean legalese if I do say so my self.

hazelrunpack
February 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
In EC, if it was a wild animal, we were to contact the DNR--animal control only took care of domestic animals. The DNR only supply the traps--I believe the homeowner had to do the trapping. I'm thinking the DNR came to pick up the animals once trapped, though. Depending on what the species is, they were either released elsewhere or destroyed. (Because of the rabies problem here, I think skunks and maybe even raccoons were always destroyed. :( )