Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

4 cats, 4 litter boxes, pee everywhere but inside the boxes

TanyaP
February 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Hello to all cat lovers. My problem consists of having 4 cats, 4 litter boxes and them peeing everywhere but inside of them. It started with the oldest, she'd pee just outside the box for reasons unknown, so we did a little surgery to the litterboxes to help her (they're top loaders, so we cut holes on the side of them all, so make it easier for all the cats to use). That worked for a while, but now they've all decided to pee outside the box, or half in/half out, or on the carpet 3 feet away from the boxes. Could someone please help me with this? I'm at my wit's end with cleaning up the pee (and sometimes poo). All 4 cats are well-behaved usually, and those that don't get along as much tend to stay out each other's way.

sugarcatmom
February 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Oh no, I thought your litter box issues had been solved! When did this all start up again? Anything change in the house?

I can't remember if you mentioned this before, but how old is Ellie? When she went for check-ups previously, did they do any blood work and a urinalysis?

Couple things you can try: I'd suggest replacing (or adding to) the covered boxes with one of those large under-the-bed storage boxes like this: http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=40# Fill it with either Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract (http://www.preciouscat.com/) litter or use their litter additive (http://www.preciouscat.com/attract-litter-additivebronly-available-through-your-p-7.html?osCsid=936d78936ab8068b3c964a307d091033) with your current litter. Hopefully that will make things more enticing. Make sure you're cleaning the boxes a couple times a day as well.

TanyaP
February 17th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hi Sugarcatmom, thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't sure if people would remember my previous issues or not. :D

We had solved them temporarily, but since then we've moved to a new house. The move itself didn't seem to bother the cats too much, and when we got settled in, things were going well. We moved back in October. Ellie is actually 11 now, and quite the cranky kitty. She tends to get a little agressive with the other cats except for Marble when they come close, but that was always the case, and no big changes have happened with the cats as a whole.

They were using the boxes with no issues until recently. I can't think of any changes besides having some renos done in one of the rooms, but it's not a primary room for them and the door's been closed throughout that process. We do clean the boxes 2-3 times a day now, which does make it more enticing to them, but most of the time in the past 3-4 days, they've pee'd outside of the boxes numerous times. We've cleaned it up as much as we can each time, until the next mess. We haven't changed their litter brand, or their food. And our routines haven't changed all that much either.

I'll look into the products you've suggested at my local pet store, but not sure if I'll be able to get them here in Canada. I'll try though.

Thanks.

14+kitties
February 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
If you have a Petsmart near you they may carry the cat attract. If not they do have it on their online site.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751734
As for the container - I use any large container for my guys who like to scatter litter. Most of the containers are around 12 to 14" high. I found them either at WM or Canadian Tire.
It sounds like there has been an awful lot of activity around your place in the last while. First moving, then renovating. Even getting through the excitement of Christmas in a new home. It may have seemed the cats weren't stressed but they may have been. All the unfamiliar noise may have been enough to set them off. Seeing new things (construction material) and strange people coming and going from the house would be enough to set mine off.
Hopefully changing the boxes to something that is little easier to manage for them, possibly adding another box, may do the trick. Rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one extra.
If Ellie is the aggressive one is it possible to put a box or two in a different room for her? Or away from all the other boxes. I know that sounds like a lot of work but well worth it if it solves the problem.
What are you using to clean the urine? If cats can smell even a little bit of urine they will continue to use that spot. Even if you can't smell it. They can. A homemade recipe which is based on Nature's Miracle but is a lot cheaper may help. 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water, mixed together in a spray bottle and sprayed liberally on the spots they have been using. This gets rid of the smell and they won't use that spot any more. If it has been there for a while you may have to spray a couple of times to get rid of the smell.

catlover2
February 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Until the renovations are complete, can you put the cats in a non-carpeted room as far away from the renovations as possible? My take on your situation is the renovation work has upset them. If they are secluded in a room away from the comings & goings & noise they may be more calm and content. It's important to give them extra attention at this time.

If you have carpet you might consider putting down plastic sheeting to make accidents easier to clean up.