Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Long Haired Cat

poodletalk
February 17th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I need advice how to get knots out of a long haired cat? My parents adopted a cat, her fur is matted on her back. She doesn't like to be groomed in that area and were not sure how to get the knots out.

We can get her shaved, but we would like to know for the future how to properly brush/comb her.

Thanks!

Winston
February 17th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Poodletalk depending on how cooperative the cat is you can place kitty in lap...place some mineral oil on the knot and then work through it with a comb and fingers to loosen it...this is tough though if kitty is not cooperating.

My mom used to have a long haired hymie and she used to have to get him shaved once in awhile if she didnt keep up with brushing....and brushing everyday is key with that type of hair.

Good Luck to your folks!

Cindy

Love4himies
February 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I have professional quality hair salon sissors to cut the knots out that I use on Puddles. I don't bother trying to brush them out, it is just too painful.

In the early spring, I give her quite the :crazy: furcut and she is much happier thoughout the summer.

14+kitties
February 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
You say she doesn't like being groomed "in that area". Is she ok with other spots? If so your parents could very slowly work up to that spot. That is - groom her in the places she doesn't mind it and over the course of a couple of weeks slowly go into "that area" that she hates.
If you get her shaved now then it is the best time to start doing the grooming. You know there is no tats so it should go much smoother. By the time her fur is longer she will be content to let them groom her.
What type of a brush do they use? Sometimes if the bristles are really hard and wiry cats just don't like them.

BenMax
February 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
You say she doesn't like being groomed "in that area". Is she ok with other spots? If so your parents could very slowly work up to that spot. That is - groom her in the places she doesn't mind it and over the course of a couple of weeks slowly go into "that area" that she hates.
If you get her shaved now then it is the best time to start doing the grooming. You know there is no tats so it should go much smoother. By the time her fur is longer she will be content to let them groom her.
What type of a brush do they use? Sometimes if the bristles are really hard and wiry cats just don't like them.

Great advice as I was going to say the same.

I have a persian that has 'that' spot. Over a course of time I would groom her in her ok spots and then gently pass the brush over the spot that causes her to retaliate. I would not spend lots of time on it but just go over it with maybe two brushes.

I am glad to say that now she does not mind getting a full brushing. SHe still bucks that area if I keep going over it, but the protest is less than it used to be.:cat:

poodletalk
February 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
We were advised to use a wide tooth comb on her fur, which my Mom is doing. She doesn't mind getting combed at all, but when it comes to the knots she protests and scratches.

My Mom tries as gentle as possible in the area where the knots are, but she's very unsucessful getting the knots out.

Maybe we should just cut them out...and then work fresh from that spot.

This is our first cat in our family, we are doing things by trial and error.

14+kitties
February 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Maybe what your mom could do is to try to get as close to the kitty's skin as possible with sharp scissors and cut out the tangles. About 1/4 inch away or so. Then working slowly at the rest of the tangle isn't so bad. It will take a while but eventually you will get all the knots. I have a few I have to keep after all the time too.
Have you tried the Furminator? I got one from my kids last Christmas. It works on getting the undercoat better than most other brushes/combs.

t.pettet
February 17th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Take her to a groomer - it will take 10 sec. to eradicate the mat and then purchase a soft slicker brush made especially for cats. On the 1st. day brush her for about 30 seconds and give her lots of praise and a treat. Do this on a daily basis extending the brushing period for a good 20 min. and stop when she starts to fuss. She will eventually look forward to being brushed if you are consistent with the timing and treats.

Tundra_Queen
February 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Willie gets knots every so often and I just cut them out. It's less stressful on his and less painful that trying to brush them out.

Debbie

onster
February 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Bunduk gets butt matts every now and then and I use a combination of the above (excellent) advice :thumbs up

1. He loves getting his chin/face brushed, so i do that and then !quick! swipe a few times near his butt :yell: then back this face :angel: before he has time to kick my a$$ lol

2. If he has a matt already, i take the comb and start near the base of the skin as soon as the comb gets stuck, snip snip snip while the comb is in. Use scissors that are meant for hair (easier). I leave the comb in when I do this so as to make sure not to snip the skin.

3. Sometimes instead of actually snipping the matt out i just snip into it sort of hack it up then brush it out.