Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Happy Pancake Tuesday/ Shrove Tuesday/ Fat Tuesday/ Mardi Gras !!

mikischo
February 16th, 2010, 12:27 PM
to those who follow it.

I know what I'm making for supper. Yum. http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/3.gif

Macomom
February 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I had a friend from school who would invite me over to have Pancakes on this day. It was very cool!

Frenchy
February 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM
It's pancake day ? :confused:

wake me up when we get to "chocolate cheesecake day" please :D

mikischo
February 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Chocolate cheescake day is any day the opportunity arises.:D Now you are making me very hungry.

aslan
February 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM

that's when we go to hazels and she's serving slingers remember..or when you come visit me.

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM
What?! :confused: You don't like my slingers? :eek: :p

Hey, happy right back atchya, mikischo!! So tell me about the tradition of Pancake Tuesday...I've never heard of it, either, though I've heard of the rest of that stuff. :D

mikischo
February 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
What?! :confused: You don't like my slingers? :eek: :p

Hey, happy right back atchya, mikischo!! So tell me about the tradition of Pancake Tuesday...I've never heard of it, either, though I've heard of the rest of that stuff. :D

Basically, it is all the same (just different names in different parts of the world). The Mardi Gras carries things a bit further and is more of a festival and, I believe, usually lasts for several days before Lent. In all cases it involves the tradition of indulging in fatty foods prior to the season of Lent. Shrove Tuesday, or whatever you care to call it, being the last day before the beginning of Lent. I believe Pancake Day is a phrase more commonly heard in the United Kingdom and some other countries that are more closely connected to the U.K. (Canada being one).

Actually, today is also a good day to indulge in Chocolate Cheesecake (another fatty food).:D

I am not particularly religious but I sometimes use Lent as a time to try to keep my indulgences down and get rid of some of the winter protection (fat) some of us tend to accumulate over the cold months.

I stepped on the scale and took a good look in the mirror recently after noticing that my clothes had been mysteriously shrinking. :eek: I think I better take Lent more seriously than usual this year.

But today I will indulge.:evil::D

Marcha
February 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Being married to a Brit - we're having pancakes for Shrove Tuesday dinner tonight.

They're not the fluffy North American pancakes; they're more like crepes that are eaten with lemon juice and sugar.

In general, Shrove Tuesday is the Christian name for the day, and "Pancake Tuesday" is the more generic name for those who don't identify with Christian holidays. That said, I know quite a few non-Christian people who still call it Shrove Tuesday.

Anyway - we're happy to have pancakes for dinner. :)

joeysmama
February 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
My father used to call is Faschnaak Day (I don't know if it's spelled correctly) We lived in Pennsylvania Dutch Country when I was little so I think that's where that name comes from. He always brought home doughnuts and said it was doughnut day. We had pancakes for dinner too a lot of the time.

Today I made my husband swing by Dunkin' Donuts so I could buy a cruller even though the poor guy is having tests tomorrow and can't eat solid food today.

Marcha
February 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
For Pa. Dutch it would be Fastnachts, from the German FasNacht or FastNacht, or Fasting Eve. In German tradition, Fasting Eve would include lots of baked goods, and the Pa. Dutch would have "Fastnachts", the name for yeast raised potato doughnuts.

http://www.spiritlodge.info/book.gif :angel:

mikischo
February 16th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I had no idea there were so many names and traditions surrounding Shrove Tuesday. They all, of course, have the same theme: indulging in rich foods prior to the fasting season of Lent.

Wikipedia has a good article on some of the terminologies and traditions in different regions and countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

Well, I enjoyed my pancake supper immensely. Starting tomorrow, I will try to start using some more self discipline and hopefully by the end of Lent I will have managed to remove some of this winter blubber I have accumulated.:yell:

Frenchy
February 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Actually, today is also a good day to indulge in Chocolate Cheesecake (another fatty food).:D

what ??? :confused:

another one of those urban legends :cool:

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the explanations! :thumbs up

But darnitall, you know? I missed my chance to really pig out today :frustrated: :laughing: Sigh...but my clothes have been mysteriously shrinking, too, Mikischo... So maybe that's a good thing :o

joeysmama
February 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Marcha thank you for giving me that translation. I'ver heard it all my life but never really knew the origin.

:thumbs upVery cool!!

Marcha
February 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM
You're welcome!

TacoGrl
February 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM
ummmm.........

:D

joeysmama
February 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Too cute !!