Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So I save my neighbors dog and they argue with me

kathryn
February 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I had never previously met this neighbor (live in a development where neighbors come and go, so no one really knows each other).. never saw this dog before either.

So, I'm coming home from work 9 at night, and as I'm pulling up to my house a little dog runs past on the sidewalk, stops, stares at me and thankfully for the dog there was a wall of snow on the sidewalk preventing it from running under my tires.

I get out, all alone in the middle of the night, leave all my stuff in my car and take off after this dog in near total darkness and trying not to break my neck on the ice. Thankfully a neighbor I am friendly with comes out with a leash and we manage to catch the dog only after it tries to bite me.

I walk around my complex with said dog, looking for owner. no dice... Take the dog home and lock her in my bathroom and post an ad on craigslist hoping someone will claim her.

About an hour later the owners are outfront looking for the dog and my mom lets them in.. young girl early 20's and I guess her dad.. I tell them their dog had been running loose for a while and I almost ran her over. The girl is crying WAYY overdramatically and I tell her to put tags on her dogs because having just a collar doesn't do anything. If she had a tag on I would have called her up an hour ago. Also point out the dog is NOT SPAYED :wall: :wall: and give her a price sheet for my shelters clinic and my cell number.

Argues with me (not in a mean way but an ignorant way) that the dog doesn't usually run that far hence not needing tags and she wants to breed the dog blah blah blah typical idiot owner nonsense.

Let's just say if it weren't for the fact my mom had let them in I would NOT have given the dog back. I know you guys may flip out about that but I was already planning on bringing the dog to my shelter as I can smell a bad owner a mile away. The dog would have been much better off going to my shelter where yes if I had caught up with them I would have told them she was there, but maybe they would have taken what happened more seriously! Plus we don't release dogs without being fixed.

So in conclusion, the next time this little mutt gets out she is going to the shelter where atleast there they will take care of her.

(guess it seems judgmental but if you all had been there you would totally agree)

Etown_Chick
February 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM
That's so sad, knowing exactly how this story is going to end..either the dog gets hit by a car or a bunch of pups end up at the shelter.

mummummum
February 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM
You won't win any friends this way but do you have a shelter/ local spca "fact sheet" about the fate of unsupervised, roaming dogs and byb puppies you can stick in their mailbox for a little quickie education?

t.pettet
February 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Exactly what I would do next time you find her running loose. She deserves better owners that what she has.

Frenchy
February 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I know you guys may flip out about that

certainly not me !

but I was already planning on bringing the dog to my shelter as I can smell a bad owner a mile away. The dog would have been much better off going to my shelter where yes if I had caught up with them I would have told them she was there, but maybe they would have taken what happened more seriously! Plus we don't release dogs without being fixed.

:thumbs up I totally agree !

joeysmama
February 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I have a neighbor who had two shih tzus. They One was ht by a car and she was crying the blues about how much her vet bill was and then about a week and a half later the other one was hit by a car and killed. My husband said one of the neighbors on the next block mentioned it to him when he was walking the dogs and said "I've almost hit her dogs a few times myself. I know to look out for them but the poor kid who hit them wasn't from the neighborhood."

A couple days later I was out walking with my walking buddy and I saw this woman open her front door and let her dog out. She watched as the dog ran across the street, pooped on the neighbors yard and then ran home. (I'm sure the neighbor, who is suffering with cancer appreciates the early morning presents on her yard too.)

I went right home and called the township and reported her and they said they would send someone out. She still has the dog though.:frustrated:

kathryn
February 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Luckily I found out exactly where they live. When I was leaving my development I saw the dig in a window of a house right where they said they lived. :thumbs up So I think I am going to go ahead and get some fliers to stick in their mailbox. That's what my shelter friends of facebook said I should do...

I'm trying to mind my own business, but so many idiots recently :wall: that I don't feel like I should sit back and not do anything... I'm dealing with another idiot who has my email and has been harassing me over a similar situation
:wall: :wall:

has everyone lost their minds?

totallyhip
February 17th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Your doing the right thing. If the owners are that irresponsible and careless then do they deserve to have pets?

We had a neighbour like that in our townhouse where we used to live. They had just moved in and DH was out walking the dogs and saw two small dogs running loose in the area. The one got clipped by a car (the driver didn't even notice) and kept driving. THe dog kinda stumbled and fell over and then when DH went to see if he was okay they both took off. He followed them and they went home. He rang the bell to tell the guy his dog could be hurt and he saw the guy hiding under the couch. He rang the bell again and then went around back and the guy was in the garage hiding from DH. DH started talking to him and he told him that his dogs got out loose and told him to mind his own business. Then DH got mad and asked him why he was hiding on him when he just cared about the dogs. The guy went back into the house and slammed the door. Then when DH walked around the house he saw the front door open and the guy let the dogs out and closed the door! It was horrible living there with these people. I complained to the strata and to the Spca and the city and nobody did anything. We ended up moving but I wonder if those dogs are still alive.