Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flyballs

luckypenny
February 14th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Isn't this awesome :goodvibes:??? I've only read about it before but never actually saw it in action. What fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64NC0oQdPI

Do any members here do flyball with their dogs?

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I think Heidi would be fantastic at this sport...she runs like the wind, has a built-in retreive and is ball-crazy...totally an athelete!

DoubleRR
February 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I trained dogs for flyball in the 1980's when you had to build your own box even for competitions in the Okanagan in B.C. The sport was very young then, but it was a blast--everyone enjoyed it--and most dogs caught on fairly quickly if they had any real "fetch" desire in them.

Sylvie
February 15th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Flyball is very popular in this area.

I know so many people that are involved in it, but I could not get involved as I hate to hear barking dogs.:yuck: I can't even go to a match. But it looks like the dogs have a great time.

If I were younger I would get involved in agility. I think that would be fun both for the dogs and the people. Not to mention get you in shape real fast :laughing::laughing:

Etown_Chick
February 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I've avoided it because I've heard bad things about the local group - apparently they are extremely competitive. They really like to wind the dogs up beforehand (so they go like crazy) and you end up taking home a dog that's way wilder than he was before you took him there.
I thought it would be great for my fetch-monster, but I've decided to stick to agility and general fun.

luckypenny
February 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I could never take one of ours to compete but I love to see the dogs fly over the hurdles and back again. Makes me want to learn and teach something like this just have fun in our yard.

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Between our 8 and your 4, we could have 3 teams, LP! :D And at the end of the day, after all the chaos and noise, no one would know who won or lost...but there'd be tons of fun memories! :laughing:

luckypenny
February 15th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm sure there'd be lots of flying going on...and wrestling...and Gracie and Penny would be trying to stop Brier from eating all the balls :laughing:.

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Yep, that does sound about right! :laugh:

And, of course, madame hazel would be there snappin' away with the camera! :rolleyes: omd, she'd have a couple thousand images by the end of the day! :laughing:

Melanie1010
February 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I myself am taking a break from the sport. I have been training my dog for 2 years to play (and he's still not even ready to compete) and I am finding its not fun anymore - too competitive and my dog is very stressed out during practices.

We are getting back into Agility in a couple of weeks, and I hope because its more one on one working with your dog I can rebuild his confidence. Once Spring rolls around, we are also going to take a Scenting/Tracking course.

Melinda
February 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Brina was trained for flyball at a year old *L* but she didn't do too well, she'd grab the ball and do her turn beautifully!!!!! then spot a new person and run to bring them the ball to toss for her!! her agility runs went the same way, she'd jump up on the judges laps and give them kisses, sometimes it does't pay to have an extra friendly dog....:laughing:

but I do love watching it.