Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some macro shots - bugs

cat001
February 14th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'm currently exploring the world of macro photography, here's some images I've taken of bugs!

marko
February 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
very cool!
Shot 1 is tack tack sharp with excellent composition. Our members will love these photos..but we are pretty strict on self-promo just as an fyi in advance.

Thx - Marko

Frenchy
February 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Pretty cool pics ! :thumbs up I like bugs :D

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Just don't post any macro shots of mice or Frenchy will run screaming from the room! :laughing:

Lovely shots, though, cat001! Very cool!

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ohhhh, preeeeeeetty!!!! :flirt:

Do you use a flash when you're doing macro?

Frenchy
February 14th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Just don't post any macro shots of mice or Frenchy will run screaming from the room! :laughing:

omg :yuck:

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 05:55 PM
omg :yuck:

ppfffffttt.

Ignore Frenchy, cat001. She's :crazy:

:D

Oh, nevermind, I thought she was :yuck:ing at the bugs...:D

Frenchy
February 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
ppfffffttt.

Ignore Frenchy, cat001. She's :crazy:

:D

http://bestsmileys.com/tongs/10.gif

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hey, hey, I revised my earlier statement!!! :angel:

cat001
February 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Lovely shots, though, cat001! Very cool!

Haha I'll try and restrain myself from doing so! :laughing:

Ohhhh, preeeeeeetty!!!! :flirt:

Do you use a flash when you're doing macro?

Yep, I use a macro ring flash which hooks onto the front of the lens, and I also control the flash output! :)

cat001
February 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
A few more bug shots!...and a worm lol

Frenchy
February 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM
oh wow , cool spider ! :thumbs up

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Yep, I use a macro ring flash which hooks onto the front of the lens, and I also control the flash output! :)

Tell me about this...do you need to be able to interchange lenses to use one of these? I'm working with a point-and-shoot, with a spring-loaded clip-on macro lens (it's gonna be a while 'till I can upgrade to a DSLR).

cat001
February 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Tell me about this...do you need to be able to interchange lenses to use one of these? I'm working with a point-and-shoot, with a spring-loaded clip-on macro lens (it's gonna be a while 'till I can upgrade to a DSLR).

The ring flash illuminates the whole object and doesn't leave harsh unsightly shadows like a conventional flash would.

Typically the camera would need a hot shoe so the flash could be attached, but not many point and shoots allow for the attachment of external flashes.

Though was just doing a bit of research on macro ring flash and point and shoots for you and found something which might be worth looking in to... Marumi LED8 macro ring light...google it and see what you think! It states that it's ideal for digital compact cameras!

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I've got a Canon Powershot SX10 IS if that narrows my options for you... or widens them :D (I'm still a camera newb)

cat001
February 14th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I've got a Canon Powershot SX10 IS if that narrows my options for you... or widens them :D (I'm still a camera newb)

Hehe yep, looks like it is compatible with external flash then! :D

I've been trying to find a ring flash compatible with your camera and think I've found one: RPS DRF14 Macro Ring Flash...see what you think of that! :)

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hehe yep, looks like it is compatible with external flash then! :D

I've been trying to find a ring flash compatible with your camera and think I've found one: RPS DRF14 Macro Ring Flash...see what you think of that! :)

Awesome! I'll definitley be looking into this!

growler~GateKeeper
February 15th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Neat shots :thumbs up

In the 1st pic in post 11 how did you get the background/under the bug black but reflective? I'm assuming it is on a mirror.......?

cat001
February 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Neat shots :thumbs up

In the 1st pic in post 11 how did you get the background/under the bug black but reflective? I'm assuming it is on a mirror.......?

Yep, on a mirror! :thumbs up the flash also blacked out the background!