Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help ! - after neutering pain

Puppy Love
August 30th, 2004, 08:52 AM
My poor dog, George got neutered on Sat. morning now he is non stop crying.
The vet gave him a pain killer patch on his belly but he is still crying a lot. However as soon as we give him more attention, his crying stops. I am wondering whether he is in a great amount of pain or just want that attention.... he was never like this before so I think maybe he is in pain.
How lone does it take for him to get better after his neutering?
When I see or hear his crying, just breaks my heart... :(

Puppy Love
George's mom

Puppy Love
August 30th, 2004, 08:54 AM
OH boy, sorry about all the typos. I just got a new keyboard :)

Puppy Love

Lucky Rescue
August 30th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Neutering shouldn't cause that much pain. It's possible he is still having reactions to the anesthetic - it makes some dogs act strangely, with crying, growling etc.

Cflat
August 30th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Monday morning now... How is he doing?

Puppy Love
August 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM
He is still crying....We don't see any difference yet. I feel bad.....

Puppy Love

Cflat
August 30th, 2004, 09:56 AM
You need to at least call the vet right away.

Puppy Love
August 30th, 2004, 10:00 AM
so my husband just spoke to our vet and she told us to remove the pain killer patch of our dog's belly, she said that the pain killer patch might be causing the crying.
Does anyone know anything about this pain kileer patch????

and Thank you so much for everything,

Puppy Love

SSAC
August 30th, 2004, 10:19 AM
It should be a fentanyl patch, which is a morphine-like narcotic. By placing it on the skin, it acts transdermally, slowly absorbing in through the skin. The patch is given according to weight, so it's very hard to "get too much". It's rare for an animal to have a reaction to this.
It's also hard to get off. Did your vet advise how to remove it? If not gently rub some mineral oil under it a GENTLY pull as it "looses its sticky". :eek:

A good vet will use this product, as it shows that they are concerned for your dogs pain level. :)

I hope all is going well and your boy is getting back to normal.

goldenblaze
August 30th, 2004, 03:14 PM
BLaze was neutered 2 weeks ago and no problems at all, Blaze is 6 mths and our vet give him a shot of metocam and it will work for 24 hours for pain. The next day Blaze was up and playing acting himself, I would maybe check him and talk to your vet again.

Spoiled
August 30th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Have you been giving him more attention than usual? Have you been giving him attention if he cries or makes noise? He might want more attention, and is telling you so! As you can tell, if this is the case, it is no fun being with a whiny dog! I would ignore it if: he is eating fine, drinking fine, walking fine, and acting fine.

Puppy Love
August 31st, 2004, 08:40 AM
Thank you all for your kind support.
Since we've removed his pain killer patch, he has stop wimpering and crying.
He is eatin & drinking normal. He is a bit slow and quite but for sure he is getting better....phew....
Thanks again,

Puppy Love

Spoiled
August 31st, 2004, 10:13 AM
Good! Then it must have been the pain killer patch. :) :rolleyes:

sammiec
August 31st, 2004, 11:43 AM
it could have NOTHING to do with the neuturing... is he sensitive to the touch? will he let you touch it?
It very well could be that when he whines you comfort him, give him attention - they are smart!! He could just be doing it because then you pay attention to him! That's what mine was doing.. in the middle of the night she would whine to get in the bed, sometimes so loud that she wakes us up. To get her to shut up, we let her in the bed - she started doing it for EVERYTHING!!! Now, we ignore her if she does it and then when she stops she gets the attention she wants. It's done the trick.

To rule out the post surgery pain, have you gone to the vet? Is the area inflammed? Sometimes the area can swell VERY bad and gets very painful - will he sit normally?

sammiec
August 31st, 2004, 11:44 AM
My post was too late, guess I should learn to read in it's interty... gald to hear that he's doing better!

Babs
August 31st, 2004, 12:06 PM
If dogs are much like humans, one would think the removal of those things would reduce pain potential in that area.

Also glad to hear he's doing better :) He was likely just a little bit scared... operations are a scary thing!