Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dental Surgery

cynlee
February 13th, 2010, 04:15 PM
My 8-year old Sheltie is having Dental Surgery next week. He needs to have some teeth pulled as well as professionally cleaned. Is there anything I need to know before or after his surgery. I'm not sure what to expect afterwards. He has to go under to have the procedure which worries me a little. Will he be in much pain afterwards; what is the timeframe for the healing process?

Thank You.

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Has your dog had a complete blood panel and urinalysis done within the last year?

With senior pets it is always recommended to have pre-surgery bloodwork done before the anaesthia so the vets can make note of any abnormalities and plan accordingly.

Having IV fluids during the procedure are also a good idea to keep your dog well hydrated, as well it seems to haste the recovery from the anaesthesia itself.

Your vet clinic should inform you not to give any food or water after midnight the night before the surgery, some clinics prefer no food after 8pm the night before and no water after midnight - you'll have to ask what are their specific instructions.

After the surgery your Sheltie will be groggy for a few hours recovering from not only the procedure but also the anaesthesia. Your clinic will dispense pain meds as needed and possibly an antibiotic depending on the results of the extractions.

During the first day & night after the surgery keep your dog away from stairs and off furniture to prevent falling.

Recovery time is generally about a week - week and a half that all depends on the individual.

Most pets are eating normally the next day or two, depending on the amount of extractions your vet may recommend feeding canned food for at least a few days as some may be a bit hesitant to crunch kibbles until the gums heal & harden.

:goodvibes:

dustybird
February 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Great info Growler:thumbs up

I just wanted to add that some vet will put a pet on antibiotics a few days before the dental surgery. So if he or she is not on any you may want to ask your vet about it. I think they do if there is currently a lot of inflamation or infection.

growler~GateKeeper
February 14th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Great catch dustybird :) thanks for adding that info. I realised after I logged out last night I should have mentioned the possibility of pre-surgery antibiotics depending on the level of infection/inflammation