Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

k.d. Lang

14+kitties
February 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Good Lord!! That woman can still sing!!!!!! Hallelujah !!! I hope everyone got a chance to listen to her tonight. AMAZING is all I can say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macomom
February 12th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I completely agree. She is incredible!

sugarcatmom
February 12th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Absolute highlight of the opening ceremonies, IMO. Stunning.

Jim Hall
February 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM
oh damn i missed her!!! what did she sing?

14+kitties
February 12th, 2010, 11:30 PM
If anyone missed her and wants to hear her sing - this one is from the Elton John benefit a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

Did you all notice her bare feet? She still does that! :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
February 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
oh damn i missed her!!! what did she sing?

Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".

Tundra_Queen
February 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
14+ I saw her too! She was great! Haven't seen her around for a few years, so glad she still has her chops!

I also like the poet guy too,,,loved his poem about Canadians and Canada!! :thumbs up

Jim Hall
February 12th, 2010, 11:33 PM
oh double damn

Jim Hall
February 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
who was doing clouds?

and what no niel young or BTO? lol

sugarcatmom
February 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM
and what no niel young or BTO? lol

Hopefully for the closing ceremonies! :pray:

14+kitties
February 12th, 2010, 11:38 PM
14+ I saw her too! She was great! Haven't seen her around for a few years, so glad she still has her chops!

I also like the poet guy too,,,loved his poem about Canadians and Canada!! :thumbs up

Yeah, I liked that too. Hope someone finds it on You tube or somewhere. Would love to have a copy of that. :thumbs up
I missed k.d. when she "disappeared" from the singing world. Her voice is wonderful. Very pure.
Stayed up to watch the opening. Way past my bed time.......
Keep talking folks!! She deserves some recognition. :thumbs up After tonight she will have it!!

TacoGrl
February 12th, 2010, 11:39 PM
She does have a beautiful voice...

I liked pretty much everything, but all put together it was so loooong...and Gretzky sure didn't look all that happy to be standing in the back of a truck in the rain LoL!

Jim Hall
February 12th, 2010, 11:49 PM
what sport is that venue used for and is it enclosed ?

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM
what sport is that venue used for and is it enclosed ?

That is BC Place Stadium (http://www.bcplacestadium.com/index.shtml) and yes it in enclosed with a pressurized air inflated fabric dome roof (a retractable roof is coming soon)

The Opening and Closing Ceremonies for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games and the Opening Ceremony for the 2010 Paralympic Winter Games will be held in BC Place in downtown Vancouver. This will also be the site for nightly Victory Ceremonies presentations.

Normally the stadium is used for the BC Lions Pro Football, concerts, boat & auto shows, trade shows etc

Marcha
February 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html?assetid=075692e7-58e8-400c-acb5-ccc156b902ce&cid=mrss

Jim Hall
February 13th, 2010, 12:54 AM
ahh that was that big glowing thing in the aerials how many miiles ofr igging u think they used to float all that stuff ?

remember the great white north eh? doug and bob lol they need them there

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2010, 01:22 AM
FACTS ABOUT “THE DOME”
~ Largest air-supported roof in the world, pressurized by 16 jet engine fans; first covered stadium in Canada
~ Consists of 10.25 acres of Teflon coated fibreglass (2 layers of fabric, 1/30 inch (0.85 millimetres) thick

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/backgrounder.shtml

Tundra_Queen
February 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM
She does have a beautiful voice...

I liked pretty much everything, but all put together it was so loooong...and Gretzky sure didn't look all that happy to be standing in the back of a truck in the rain LoL!

I think Gretzky was worried about the protesters outside the stadium seeing as he didn't have any protection from them if they threw anything at him. don't know why they are protesting.

Debbie

luckypenny
February 13th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Her voice is wonderful. Very pure.

"Pure" is right. Her voice is a heavenly gift to us all :cloud9:.

I'm feel terrible now that I missed the opening ceremonies :( .

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM
She just released a two disc set called "Recollection". I think I am going to have to go shopping.... :D
LP - the link I posted earlier shows her singing Hallelujah.

luckypenny
February 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Wonderful 14+, thank you!

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I just saw (or rather heard since my attention was elsewhere) a part of the opening ceremonies and two singers. One was operatic, the other wasn't. So which one was k.d. Lang? :o Or did I miss her entirely?

chico2
February 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Thank's 14+,I missed her,beautiful:thumbs up
I was just too darn tired,but what I saw of the opening-ceremonies was beautiful.
Hubby recorded it for me,I'll watch it today!

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2010, 09:55 AM
What an amazing voice!

chico2
February 13th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I just watched her,got me all choked up,also the french-canadian singer Garrou(sp?) is fantastic,love him from the musical Notre Dame de Paris(sp?).
LOVED the fiddlers and dancers.
I am going to watch the rest now,but so far I am a very,very proud Canadian,fantastic show:thumbs up:ca:

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I just watched her,got me all choked upExactly and so humble which just makes her that much more beautiful.

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
:o Guess she didn't disappear so much from the music industry as I stopped listening to music. :rolleyes:
She has had an illustrious career.
Now I really need to go shopping!!

http://www.nonesuch.com/artists/kd-lang

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I just saw (or rather heard since my attention was elsewhere) a part of the opening ceremonies and two singers. One was operatic, the other wasn't. So which one was k.d. Lang? :o Or did I miss her entirely?

hazel - I posted a link in the thread ealier if you want to hear, and see, her sing.

Thank's 14+,I missed her,beautiful:thumbs up
I was just too darn tired,but what I saw of the opening-ceremonies was beautiful.
Hubby recorded it for me,I'll watch it today!

What a sweet hubby taping it for you. I liked most of the ceremonies too. Parts were a little drawn out but the fiddlers were great!!! But I have to agree with SCM, kd was the crowning glory of the night!!

Frenchy
February 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Good Lord!! That woman can still sing!!!!!! Hallelujah !!! I hope everyone got a chance to listen to her tonight. AMAZING is all I can say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the same thing when I saw her ! WOW !!! I already liked her but last night , omg , she totally amazed me !

Frenchy
February 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Keep talking folks!! She deserves some recognition. :thumbs up After tonight she will have it!!
you bet she does , last night I was thinking ... how come everyone knows about Celine Dion and not KD ? :confused:

remember the great white north eh? doug and bob lol they need them there

:laughing:

I don't know wtf was with the opera thing !!! Don't even know who she is and why they put her there !! KD was singing alone , she has a "crew haircut" I think she was wearing a white suit ... not sure , I didn't notice , was too much into listening to her voice :cloud9: again , I was extremely amazed ! :thumbs up

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Here's the slam poet from last night. The video isn't from last night but it's the same poem. Seems the Olympic committee is blocking a lot of videos being put out. I went looking for kd's and can't find it. :(

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Shane-Koyczan-Defines-Canada-At-Olympics-Opening-Ceremony-22864.html

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
you bet she does , last night I was thinking ... how come everyone knows about Celine Dion and not KD ? :confused:

Good point! I would much rather listen to kd than Celine.

I don't know wtf was with the opera thing !!! Don't even know how she is and why they put her there !! KD was singing alone , she has a "crew haircut" I think she was wearing a white suit ... not sure , I didn't notice , was too much into listening to her voice :cloud9: again , I was extremely amazed ! :thumbs up

Don't forget her bare feet. She always performs with bare feet. :thumbs up

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Well, we aren't going to be able to find her performance from last night. Thought I had it but nope. Great review though!!

http://beat.bodoglife.com/entertainment/k-d-langs-hallelujah-steals-olympic-opening-ceremonies-22798.html

buddingartist
February 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
KD Lang's singing was the highlight of the evening for me.
Absolutely breathtaking.:thumbs up

She was wearing a white suit

Melinda
February 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
its still on the page Marcha posted at the beginning of this thread

Marcha
February 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html?assetid=075692e7-58e8-400c-acb5-ccc156b902ce&cid=mrss

That link takes a while to load, but once it does it shows KD during the opening ceremony.

buddingartist
February 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM
There is now a message that says: Video no longer available due to copyright by the International Olympics Committee

Melinda
February 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm listening to it right now...it comes up for me....its 3:16 right now

luckypenny
February 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I just viewed it as well. Thank you Marcha! My face hurts from smiling wide throughout it :goodvibes:. What a performance!

Melinda
February 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
*L* whew....glad you could see it too luckypenny *L*

chico2
February 13th, 2010, 03:45 PM
All in all,it was a great show,I was very proud,beautiful,sentimental and probably gave all Canadians a big boost:thumbs up

marko
February 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Video no longer available due to copyright by the International Olympics Committee

That just seems so wrong coming from the Olympic committee...and STUPID in this internet age. There's no stifling youtube though - here is the link again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

I saw her performance last night and i concur - just awesome. :highfive:

It's funny I normally don't feel patriotic...but I felt a bit patriotic last night watching some of the opening ceremony.:goodvibes:

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
That just seems so wrong coming from the Olympic committee...and STUPID in this internet age. There's no stifling youtube though - here is the link again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

I saw her performance last night and i concur - just awesome. :highfive:

It's funny I normally don't feel patriotic...but I felt a bit patriotic last night watching some of the opening ceremony.:goodvibes:

No Marko, that's the one I posted earlier from a few years ago. But thanks so much for trying. She was wearing a white suit last night and standing alone on the podium/stage.

mikischo
February 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hey, you guys. The link originally posted by Marcha and posted again by Melinda works just fine. I am reposting them. If anyone is having trouble viewing the video, they may need to install Microsoft Silverlight first, or they are just not waiting long enough for it to load. When it starts up there is a small commercial and then it shows her singing the song in its entirety.

This video is on CTV's website. Obviously CTV has the rights to air it as well as other footage of the Olympics. If you want to see it, please give this link another try. It works.:)

That link takes a while to load, but once it does it shows KD during the opening ceremony.

I'm listening to it right now...it comes up for me....its 3:16 right now

Marcha
February 13th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I also find it easier to view (less load-time) in Internet Exploder than in Firefox. So if you're using Firefox, you might want to switch to IE for this one.

Dee-O-Gee
February 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM
OMDAWG! I got goosebumps when she was singing. Both my kids said "who's that?" :D

I have KD Lang's "Absolute Torch & Twang" ON CASSETTE! :D :laughing: Note to self; must go to the library and rent out some old KD Lang CD'S! :D

I just got her the Hallelujah (from Hymns of the 49th Parallel) and Nikki Yanofsky's I Believe! :thumbs up

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
If finally decided to open for me. Yay!! Thanks Marcha. :highfive: But after watching it again I think I prefer the video from the Elton John tribute I posted earlier. It focuses on her rather than going back and forth from her to the crowd. Doesn't change the power of her voice. Hubby said next time we head to WM we will have to find her new CD. It has Hallelujah on it too. :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
February 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
If finally decided to open for me. Yay!! Thanks Marcha. :highfive: But after watching it again I think I prefer the video from the Elton John tribute I posted earlier. It focuses on her rather than going back and forth from her to the crowd. Doesn't change the power of her voice. Hubby said next time we head to WM we will have to find her new CD. It has Hallelujah on it too. :thumbs up

It's on "Hymns from the 49th Parallel" and also on her 2 disc "Recollection"

Recollection looks like a good one. Has a bunch of crazy day stuff and great hits. :thumbs up

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
It's on "Hymns from the 49th Parallel" and also on her 2 disc "Recollection"

Recollection looks like a good one. Has a bunch of crazy day stuff and great hits. :thumbs up

Recollections is the one that was just released earlier this week. That's the one I want. It has some good ones on it for sure. :D

Frenchy
February 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM
also the french-canadian singer Garrou(sp?) is fantastic,love him from the musical Notre Dame de Paris(sp?).

I wanted to comment on this earlier and totally forgot. I'm not a fan of him , and I was sooo disapointed last night when I heard him .... see , the song he sang "Un peu plus haut , un peu plus loin" is a song from Ginette Reno. IMO , she has a better voice than Celine , and although this isn't my type of music , I always loved her (Ginette Reno) she was actually discovered by Celine Dion's husband , way before Celine .... if you have a chance , of hearing the original version of this song , sang by Ginette Reno , please do , it will give you chills ! Anyone else that sings this , totally screws it up for me. :shrug:

there's also a version on youtube , of this song , a duet or Ginette and Celine.

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2010, 10:27 PM
hazel - I posted a link in the thread ealier if you want to hear, and see, her sing.

:o If I could do that, I'd have a high-speed connection! :laughing: *sigh*

But one of the singers I heard had short hair and wore a white suit and was standing on the raised platform in the middle of the arena--I loved the voice!! From some of the other posts, it sounds like that might have been her?

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 10:29 PM
:o If I could do that, I'd have a high-speed connection! :laughing: *sigh*

But one of the singers I heard had short hair and wore a white suit and was standing on the raised platform in the middle of the arena--I loved the voice!! From some of the other posts, it sounds like that might have been her?

That would be her. :thumbs up She "should" be a Canadian icon IMO. Sorry hazel. I forgot about your connection issues. :(

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I loved her voice!!! I've never heard of her before, but then, I've never heard of most of the American singers these days, either. :o

I'm going to have to check at Border's next time I'm there and see if they have some CDs. :thumbs up

14+kitties
February 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
She's been around for 25 years now. Hard to believe. Or maybe I just don't want to admit I remember seeing her years ago on a country music show. :D She has done so many different styles of music and does them all well. It's funny, as Frenchy pointed out before, everyone knows Dion. If you mention Anne Murray everyone knows her as well. But not many can remember k d Lang. Maybe because she lives a very quiet private life. :shrug:

mikischo
February 13th, 2010, 10:58 PM
She has received a lot of recognition over the years. She has won 4 Grammy awards (2 for country; 2 for pop).

According to Wikipedia, "Lang ranked #33 on VH-1's 100 Greatest Women in Rock & Roll in 1999 and #26 on CMT' 40 Greatest Women in Country Music in 2002, one of only eight women to make both lists. The others were Linda Ronstadt, Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris."

Here is the link to the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.d._lang

marko
February 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I'm gonna hunt for the real version....and post it if I find it. Thx - Marko

14+kitties
February 14th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I can't believe my hubby!! I went to put Keesha out this morning and looked over at my comp. He went out and got me "recollection" yesterday!!!!! :cloud9::cloud9: Gotta love him!!!! Happy Valentine's Day to me. :D
Hallelujah is on both CD's!!!!! :D

aslan
February 14th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Happy Valentines day 14+ what a good hubby you have..gotta love a spouse who listens..

Frenchy is this song you're taling about with Reno/Dion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0slOZv19g-k

TacoGrl
February 14th, 2010, 08:41 AM
She's been around for 25 years now. Hard to believe. Or maybe I just don't want to admit I remember seeing her years ago on a country music show. :D She has done so many different styles of music and does them all well. It's funny, as Frenchy pointed out before, everyone knows Dion. If you mention Anne Murray everyone knows her as well. But not many can remember k d Lang. Maybe because she lives a very quiet private life. :shrug:

KD was very "active" in her views (similar to Ellen DeGeneres) for many years...turned quite a few people off...she has such a beautiful voice...it is too bad things weren't handled better...it should have been about her music, but she made it about so much more...

Frenchy
February 14th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I can't believe my hubby!! I went to put Keesha out this morning and looked over at my comp. He went out and got me "recollection" yesterday!!!!! :cloud9::cloud9: Gotta love him!!!! Happy Valentine's Day to me. :D
Hallelujah is on both CD's!!!!! :D

awwww 14+ ! That is so nice of him ! :cloud9:

Frenchy is this song you're taling about with Reno/Dion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0slOZv19g-k

yep that's it , too bad Celine is on there :laughing: I much prefer when Ginette sings it alone. Her voice makes me emotional :cloud9:

aslan
February 14th, 2010, 09:18 AM
KD was very "active" in her views (similar to Ellen DeGeneres) for many years...turned quite a few people off...she has such a beautiful voice...it is too bad things weren't handled better...it should have been about her music, but she made it about so much more...

Or she used her celebrity to rectify a situation of discrimination and abuse.

Melinda
February 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM
what the hell sexual preference has to do with it is beyond me, my friends don't go against me because I'm hetrosexual?? so why should fans go against her??? Man, you can't help who you fall in love with and I don't want to live in her bedroom, just hear her soulful voice!! ok, rant over *L*

Jim Hall
February 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM
what seperates KDfrom alot of singers and songwriters is that she has the ability to change the character of her voice like aa opera singer is trained to and her pitch is perfect and is always looking for something new the duet she does with tony bennett on his duet album is wonderfull

plaus she loves pedal steeel guitars and so do i

14+kitties
February 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Y'know, in these days of enlightenment it is too bad we still have to be defined with labels. Instead of being white, black, brown, straight, gay, lesbian.... why can't we simply be people? 25 years ago was 25 years ago. Things have changed. Let's move forward.
I didn't start this thread for any other reason except for the love of kd's voice. She has one of the best voices I have ever heard. I don't want it turning into a rant about sexual orientation. If it is I will request it be closed.

Jim Hall
February 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM
lol 14 albums and tours she has just what she wants i think

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 10:45 AM
KD was very "active" in her views

Sorry, 14+, but

:frustrated:

It was an absolutely gorgeous performance, the best of the night IMO...how many artists could stand centre stage, in front of 10's of thousands, with no fancy sets, background singers, dancers etc. and STILL blow away the crowd with nothing other than her voice? Truly an amazing performer.

14+kitties
February 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM
It was an absolutely gorgeous performance, the best of the night IMO...how many artists could stand centre stage, in front of 10's of thousands, with no fancy sets, background singers, dancers etc. and STILL blow away the crowd with nothing other than her voice? Truly an amazing performer.

I totally totally agree. She was/is magnificent!!! Now hubby is going to take me out for brunch and I am going to put recollections in the cd player on the way......... :D

buddingartist
February 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Tks Aslan for the Reno/Dion link.

Believe it or not, I went to school with Ginette. Her voice was as great then and whenever we had concerts at school, she would make the parents cry with her >Coeur de maman> song.

Her parents weren't the most supportive and took whatever money she made. She used to rehearse by recording herself on a cheap little tape recorder. Heck I remember one night where she came to visit in St Gabriel de Brandon where I had a cottage with a gang of girls and gave a concert, I had to buy her coffee and dessert cause she didn't have any money.

Then she went on and found a couple of boyfriends and husbands who did the same. I've been gone from Quebec since 1981 and I have a few French channels on satellite and I happened to find that concert by accident one Sunday Night.

That was a concert that Dion gave at the Plaines d'Abraham.

I think the difference between Reno and Dion is that Reno is real, sings from the heart whereas Dion has mannerisms that get to you after a while and she is as phoney as a 3 dollar bill. I like her voice, I just don't like watching her.

Frenchy, maybe you would remember that. Did Jean-Pierre Ferland write or sang that song at one point?.

Frenchy
February 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Believe it or not, I went to school with Ginette.

too cool !

Her parents weren't the most supportive and took whatever money she made.

I know she didn't have an easy life :(

I think the difference between Reno and Dion is that Reno is real, sings from the heart whereas Dion has mannerisms that get to you after a while and she is as phoney as a 3 dollar bill. I like her voice, I just don't like watching her.

same here !!

Frenchy, maybe you would remember that. Did Jean-Pierre Ferland write or sang that song at one point?.

He wrote it for Ginette and he also signs it with her sometimes :)

René Angelil (Celine Dion's husband) discovered Ginette wayyyyyy before Celine , and wanted to make Ginette a big star , Ginette refused. For someone who has this amazing voice , she never believed in her self and was scared to death of becoming international , she was afraid of rejection , of people not liking her ! I've seen her in interviews many times , it always comes up ... you just want to wrap you arms around her and tell her that she's amazing and she should believe in herself !

I walked past her once , while she was filming Leolo (in Verdun) it was too funny , there was no one around ... just me and her , and I was too shy and didn't want to bother her so I walked passed her and just nodded :o

catlover2
February 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
If you have Rogers Cable and its digital service, go to "Rogers on Demand", then to "CTV Olympic coverage", and you will be able to see the whole Olympic opening ceremony.

TacoGrl
February 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Not trying to turn this into anything :rolleyes: ...just saying back in the day that is why KD fell out of favour as it were...not that she was gay, but rather how she expressed it...14+ wondered why and I shared...I remember back then...I was a HUGE fan and then all the hub-bub took away from her music and I thought it was kinda sad it all went that way...I wish she would become mainstream again... :shrug:

14+kitties
February 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM
It's ok TG. I had actually thought she had disappeared to live a quieter life. When I started doing some research and saw all she had accomplished over her lifetime I realized it was me who had stopped listening to music for quite some time. "I" was the one who had "disappeared". :o
We're back on track now. :thumbs up
I listened to some of disc two of "recollections" on the way to and back from brunch. The different deflections she puts in her voice is wonderful. She sounds like she leaves a little bit of herself in every song she sings.

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
but rather how she expressed it

Sorry, 14+, but

:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

aslan
February 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
i too am sorry 14+, but as you can see 25 yrs ago or not some things haven't changed And some of us do take comments like that personally just as others did the dog walking thread,,end of rant...KD is and was always a fabulous singer/person. I've had her version of hallelujah on my ipod for quite awhile now, personally think its the best version out there.

Dee-O-Gee
February 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I.M. "humble".O, I don't think what steered her away from the limelight was her personal life, but a fact that a number of radio stations dropped her records after her participation in a "Meat Stinks" campaign for PETA.

She taped a promotional television spot for PETA hugging a cow saying "We all love animals, but why do we call some of them pets and some of them dinner? She was very vocal for PETA and was very proud to be a vegetarian.

In any event, I hope she makes a come back because of her beautiful voice. :thumbs up

aslan
February 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
i'm going to choose to leave the " preferance " comment alone. Mellissa Ethridge was no less vocal when it came to PETA and it didn't affect her career. From anything i've seen on KD she chooses her material carefully and only performs when she feels it.

Dee-O-Gee
February 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
i'm going to choose to leave the " preferance " comment alone. Mellissa Ethridge was no less vocal when it came to PETA and it didn't affect her career. From anything i've seen on KD she chooses her material carefully and only performs when she feels it.

I couldn't agree with you more Aslan. It would be nice to she her shine again after her stellar performance on Friday. :thumbs up

I must update my old KD Lang cassettes to CD's though. :D

Melinda
February 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I also love her "country" voice and have a few cd's of her, to me they couldn't have chosen a better person to do that song justice

Tundra_Queen
February 15th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I loved her voice!!! I've never heard of her before, but then, I've never heard of most of the American singers these days, either. :o

I'm going to have to check at Border's next time I'm there and see if they have some CDs. :thumbs up

I remember seeing KD Lang many years ago on the Smothers Brothers show. She was wearing a skirt at the time, like one of those poodle skirts from the 50's. I still remember it and no shoes. LOL But she was good! I wasn't a country fan at the time, but I still liked her singing.

Debbie

marko
February 15th, 2010, 08:50 AM
This thread is not about K.D's sexual preference, or homosexuality.

It's simply a tribute to a Canadian treasure who flawlessly sang a classic at the opening ceremony. She has the gift of God pulsing through her every time she sings a note, it's awesome to watch.

Let's keep this thread on track please - Thx!

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Did anyone catch the interview with KD Lang on the Today show? I was trying to watch for it, but they ran it while the dogs were waiting for breakfast so I wasn't able to hear anything over the barking and milling :frustrated: I was hoping they'd replay some of the song, but if they did, I missed that, too... *sigh*

Frenchy
February 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Hazel , with the link others posted , to hear the song ... even with dial up , lets say you let if download (or buffer , whatever the term :p) wouldn't you be able to hear it once it's all downloaded ?

When I wan to see something on youtube let's say , I pause the video and wait until it's all buffered , then I play it and it doesn't stop half way.

Frenchy
February 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
oh oh Hazel , I could also call you and sing it to you ! :lightbulb:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
oh oh Hazel , I could also call you and sing it to you ! :lightbulb:

No, thanks. :eek: I'll get the CD :p

Actually, though, I'm half tempted to take you up on your offer, Frenchy. But wouldn't you have to sing it in French? I don't know much French :o

As for YouTube and audio recordings, once in a great while I'll find music that buffers well, but usually my connection times out and fails in the middle and then I have to start all over again :frustrated: Video is totally out of my reach unless it's only a few seconds long :(

marko
February 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
here's a pic by M. baker

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/v2010open_02_13/v22_22123857.jpg

bendyfoot
February 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Beautiful shot, marko!

It really WAS a truly pretty scene with all the lights...so simple, but so very pretty.

I watched it again last night, just a wonderful performance...and did I mention pretty? :lovestruck::laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Gol dang! They had her way up there, didn't they? :eek: When I saw the little bit that I did during the opening ceremonies, I didn't realize that she was so high up!

Suited her voice, though--man she's got a great set of pipes! I did definitely see part of her performance :thumbs up

Frenchy
February 15th, 2010, 10:47 AM
nice shot indeed ! omg that thing was sooo high :eek:

bendyfoot
February 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I was watching her on that little top platform, freaking out every time she got near the edge :eek:

BrownEyedGirl
February 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Her performance brought tears to my eyes. Wonder if this song will be available on iTunes???

aslan
February 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
i would say yes BEG, you can get it on limewire so i assume itunes would have it too.

14+kitties
February 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
If not it is on her new cd "recollections". In fact the old version is on disc one. The new version, which is the one she sang on Friday night, is on disc two. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a diverse collection of songs. Wonderful!!
Thanks for posting that pic Marko. What a marvelous memory!! :thumbs up