Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rose-Atravet

Love4himies
February 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Well I am taking a day off on Tues to finally take Rose in for her FIV test *sigh*. I hope this doesn't impact on the trust I have built up with her over the last year :(.

As some of you know Rose is a semi-feral rescued by Cpietra from a warehouse where the owners had called in Animal Control to catch the cats and ... :( . I fostered her and her kitten, and failed at it :D. I have been informed that she may have been in contact with some cats who are FIV positive so I have to get her tested.

She is a very sweet, lovable, happy-go-lucky kitty but won't let me pick her up :yell::frustrated: so getting her in a carrier, then taking blood is going to be a challenge :p.

This is my plan:
Bought a new carrier with no kitty smells yesterday.
Placed it in the living room, threw treats into it for Rose. Sweet Pea ended up eating them all :frustrated:, but Rose watched Sweet Pea go in the carrier and out :thumbs up. Then watched Jasper go into the carrier and out :thumbs up:thumbs up, Of course after SP and Jasper, there are no treats left :frustrated: (she doesn't really like any kibble treats anyways) so I threw one of her fav toys in, she went in and retrieved it :thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up :D

I will leave the carrier out until Tues and put real food treats in it for Rose. On Tues, however, since she needs to be sedated to get blood, the vet wants me to attempt to get some ATRAVET into her, so I can do that by wrapping it in a cheese ball :cool: and placing it in the back of the carrier and hope she goes inside and I can close the door :pray:

Has anybody given their cat ATRAVET? and if so, how did your kitty react?

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
L4H, have you tried surprising her from behind? That's how I used to pick up Czari. I'd catch her off guard and grab hold of her right under her front legs. Once she was in the carrier, she wasn't bothered. To this day, she's the most well behaved of all of my cats at the vet. You would think being the only stray of the bunch, she'd be more aggressive and less trusting, but no, she's very very good. I wish I could say the same for two black kitties who shall remain nameless.:rolleyes:

cpietra16
February 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Oh L4H....I am so sorry that I have to put you thru this too. The one way I surprise Antonio, who is from the same colony, and put him in the carrier is by feeding him. He alsways stands by his dish when I feed him. As he is eating he knows that i am always petting him. I have the carrier standing so the door is facing the celling. I pet him a few minutes and then I grab him without panic on my part and put him in the carrier. Before he knows what happened...he's in there. Ok he is pissed at me and will never make me live it down, but he gets over it very fast, especially when he gets tuna. Good Luck

Love4himies
February 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Awwww, don't be sorry, cpietra, not your fault :grouphug:. Plus, you are the one that introduced me to a cat who fills my heart with so much joy. She is just the most wonderful kitty and such a treat to have. I couldn't imagine life without her. I call her Rosie-posie-puddin'-n-pie all the time because she is such a doll.:lovestruck:

I wanted to get a Wellness panel done on her anyways and now is my chance.

There is NO sneaking up on Rose, she is so skittish and moves at the slightest sound or movement.

I think I can get her in the carrier by putting treats and her toys in there all weekend. She is actually more toy motivated, than food, just like a kitten :p, but the vet wants her to be sedated or under anesthetic for the blood work. I am worried about giving her the Atravet (if I even can give it to her).

chico2
February 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
L4H,I hope pretty Rose is ok:pray:
I have a terrible problem every time I take the cats to the vet,they get very,very stressed and I hate to do it to them:(
I would love to give them some sort of harmless sedative..

rjesak
February 13th, 2010, 11:11 PM
The vet requested that I give Oscar a mild sedative before bringing him in - he gets so stressed, the vet's afraid he's going to have a heart attack! I can't remember what she gave me to sedate him with, but I ground it up (she said it was all right to do that) and mixed it in with some chicken baby food which is his very favorite thing EVER! Once he's all happy-drooling-dopey boy, I just pick him up and drop him in the carrier. It makes him the easiest cat to get there even though he's the most chicken. :laughing:

Good luck L4H. I hope the FIV test comes back negative. :thumbs up

Golden Girls
February 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM
:goodvibes: Rosie-posie-puddin'-n-pie :goodvibes:
Hoping the FIV comes back negative :fingerscr

Love4himies
February 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys :grouphug:.

rjesak: I wonder if that is the same drug. Do you remember how long it took to take effect? I am going to give it to her in a bit of cheese ball. The vet doesn't want her to eat, but wants her to have the pill :confused: :laughing:. I did tell him it was my feral coming in, not one of the others. :laughing:

I don't expect the tests to come back negative, she is soooo darn healthy, but you never know if it is sitting dormant. :(

ancientgirl
February 14th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'd be curious too about that sedative. The gangs vet upped Vlad's Xanax dosage, but the last time I took him it, it was clearly not enough. I don't want to give him too much and risk overdosing him, but he needs to be calmer. I'm afraid for him sometimes. :(

14+kitties
February 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Good luck on Tues. I have never had to pill a kitty before going to the vet so I don't know how the pill will react. I'm sure the vet wouldn't give you something that will hurt her. :goodvibes::goodvibes: It may be a good time for you to be able to pick her up and show her cuddles aren't a bad thing.
Funny, I just had Jupiter in. I warned them I was bringing in a "feral" kitty. :rolleyes:Silly boy laid there and let her do just about what she wanted. Don't know how he would have reacted if she wanted to take blood though. Different story.

aslan
February 14th, 2010, 09:06 AM
good luck with Rose Love4,,no clue about the sedative. Maybe pm Dr. Lee and ask him about it.:shrug:

Love4himies
February 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Good luck on Tues. I have never had to pill a kitty before going to the vet so I don't know how the pill will react. I'm sure the vet wouldn't give you something that will hurt her. :goodvibes::goodvibes: It may be a good time for you to be able to pick her up and show her cuddles aren't a bad thing.
Funny, I just had Jupiter in. I warned them I was bringing in a "feral" kitty. :rolleyes:Silly boy laid there and let her do just about what she wanted. Don't know how he would have reacted if she wanted to take blood though. Different story.

Thanks 14+. I get so worried about giving a cat any meds. Especially one who has never had any exposure to them.

Having Rose react as Jupiter did would be a dream come true. :laughing:

Love4himies
February 14th, 2010, 09:25 AM
good luck with Rose Love4,,no clue about the sedative. Maybe pm Dr. Lee and ask him about it.:shrug:

Thanks aslan, I think I will do that.

rjesak
February 15th, 2010, 07:06 AM
It actually took quite a while to take an effect. I suppose I was expecting about 15 minutes but it actually took about an hour. Of course, he was on steroids and pretty keyed up then so that probably made it take longer. In any case, I checked with my vet and she said that she doesn't generally use Atravet; what she gave me for Oscar was basically Benadryl so I'm afraid I'm not much help here. :shrug: She said that Atravet wouldn't actually make him feel calm - it would just kind of slow him down. Since she was afraid of him having a heart attack, she wanted him to actually be calm.

Good luck on Tuesday though. I too had a cat like Jupiter - not that he was feral but I thought he was going to be a lot of trouble at the vet. Zander is the most scaredy-cat cat I've ever met and I dreaded taking him to the vet. Turned out that he seemed to just go into "paralyzed with fear" mode. Not that paralyzed with fear is a good thing but the vet just loved him - he let them do anything they wanted and he spent the whole time pretending to be a wet dishrag! :laughing:

Love4himies
February 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks rjesak. It worked :thumbs up, it did take about 45 minutes and I was expecting her to fall asleep, but she didn't, so I got her in the powder room with the carrier and was able to pick her up. The vet had to sedate her further to get blood though :crazy:.

SHE'S NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

And all her blood work is within normal range :thumbs up

14+kitties
February 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks rjesak. It worked :thumbs up, it did take about 45 minutes and I was expecting her to fall asleep, but she didn't, so I got her in the powder room with the carrier and was able to pick her up. The vet had to sedate her further to get blood though :crazy:.

SHE'S NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

And all her blood work is within normal range :thumbs up

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I am so happy for you and Rose!! But I never doubted it would go any other way!!!! :cloud9::cloud9:
Did she react badly with the vet? Silly girl!!! :lovestruck:
I bet you are soooo relieved now! :grouphug:

aslan
February 16th, 2010, 12:11 PM
oh Yaaaay,, congrats Love4 to both you and Rose. It was obviously meant to be.. definately worth the trip to Montreal.

Macomom
February 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Congratulations- that must have been nerve wracking.

Love4himies
February 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I am so happy for you and Rose!! But I never doubted it would go any other way!!!! :cloud9::cloud9:
Did she react badly with the vet? Silly girl!!! :lovestruck:
I bet you are soooo relieved now! :grouphug:

She was an :angel:, an absolute :angel:, the vet was very pleased with her. No aggression when he first picked her out of the carrier :cloud9:, no aggression when the vet tech gave Rose her final sedation injection:angel:, she was just perfect.

And I am not biased in any way :D

Love4himies
February 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM
oh Yaaaay,, congrats Love4 to both you and Rose. It was obviously meant to be.. definately worth the trip to Montreal.

Oh yes, plus I got to meet you (main reason for going :lovestruck:) :D, and Frenchy, and LP, and JennieV, and cpietra and rottielover

Love4himies
February 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Congratulations- that must have been nerve wracking.

I tell you, it was like a weight was lifted from my shoulders :D I could have done the happy dance right in the clinic. :laughing:

ancientgirl
February 16th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Way to go Rosie girl! :highfive: What an unbelievable feeling to know she's a healthy girl!

aslan
February 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Oh yes, plus I got to meet you (main reason for going :lovestruck:) :D, and Frenchy, and LP, and JennieV, and cpietra and rottielover

should i tell you now we're plotting a road trip to your place this spring or summer.

Macomom
February 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM
What is the impact to a household if one of the cats tests positive?

Love4himies
February 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
should i tell you now we're plotting a road trip to your place this spring or summer.

:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up lots of room for the pooches to run, so bring them along.

Meant to tell you that Dr. Lee approves of Atravet in cats, thanks for suggesting that, it set my mind at ease when I got confirmation from him.

Love4himies
February 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM
What is the impact to a household if one of the cats tests positive?

As Rose is a very gentle cat and FIV normally is transmitted through bites there would not have been any impact in this house. We would have treated her as we always have and if she did start showing symptoms we would discuss our options with the vet and go from there. Very different story if she was a fighter, though. She would have to be kept isolated.

aslan
February 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM
:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up lots of room for the pooches to run, so bring them along.

Meant to tell you that Dr. Lee approves of Atravet in cats, thanks for suggesting that, it set my mind at ease when I got confirmation from him.

oh yay,,,,

yeah i love Dr. Lee he is my hero..

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
WooooHooooo!

Yay for Rose! :highfive: What a relief! :cloud9:

So did she even notice that she'd had an adventure, do you think?

Love4himies
February 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM
WooooHooooo!

Yay for Rose! :highfive: What a relief! :cloud9:

So did she even notice that she'd had an adventure, do you think?

You would think that as stoned as she was she wouldn't remember anything, but she hates me, so she must :(

edwina
February 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM
You would think that as stoned as she was she wouldn't remember anything, but she hates me, so she must :(
:(
I think she will forgive you once she settles and realizes she is home and safe.

Hooray for rose being healthy :goodvibes::goodvibes:

chico2
February 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
L4H,I am sooo relieved for little Rose and you!