Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seperating Cats

sarahmc7
February 11th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I have two male cats Charlie and Zack aged between 2 and 3. They were both rescued from a shelter Zack around a year ago and Charile around 8 months. When we introduced Charlie to our flat Zack bullied and hissed at him for several weeks. However they are now very close and spend most of their time together. They are both very affectionate cats and sleep curled up together and groom each other although they have very different personalities.

My partner has recently moved out and would like to take Zack with him. I am struggling to give enough care and attention to both cats on my own especially as I am out at work all day. I dont want to seperate them but the only alternative is to send both back to the shelter where I fear they would be unhappy anyway as they are very close to me and my partner.

I asked advice from the shelter and was told if i seperate the cats they could become depressed. I really dont want to send them back to the shelter I love both cats and would love for us both to keep one each and occassionally visit each other.

I would really appreciate some advice on the best option. To give up both cats completely or trying seperating them? I just want to make sure they are both happy.

t.pettet
February 11th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Ask yourself what the cats would prefer, obviously to be together. While you are at work all day they do keep each other company so if you can't maintain them maybe your partner can take both. Please do not send them back to the shelter or separate them, that would be cruel.

Veesmart
February 11th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Why is the only alternative to send them back to the shelter? If you are unable to keep both then would your partner be willing to take both?

Also keep in mind that cats aren't like dogs. They are typically much more independant and less affected by their owners being away from the house all day.

From the way you describe them, splitting them up because you aren't able to be home with them all the time doesn't sound like you would be doing them any favours at all.

I recently moved out of my parents house and in with my boyfriend. I took my cat with me, leaving at home my parents cat (they have lived together for years), these two particular cats have absolutely NO interest in one another, and my parents (the older of the two) actually prefers to be the only animal. The "split" was a complete non-event. However, my boyfriend has a cat, and my cat and his immediately formed a bond. They act the same way you have described. Even though they've only been together for a year they are extremely bonded. So much so that we've actually discussed that if we ever split up the cats would have to go together. They are a package deal.

Love4himies
February 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Why would you send them back to the shelter if you can keep one and your boyfriend can keep the other?????

What if they are adopted by two different people at the shelter?

I guess I am missing something? :confused:

Yes, they may get depressed if your BF takes one, but I guarantee you they will be MUCH more depressed at the shelter.

sarahmc7
February 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
My partner only has a small one bedroom flat and Zack is now a very large cat he dosent have the room for both cats neither do I really now he has grown so much.

Taking them back to the shelter is a last resort but I would request they were rehomed together which the shelter they came from do advertise in this way. I would much rather keep one cat each I just dont want to make them ill by doing this.

Love4himies
February 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
My partner only has a small one bedroom flat and Zack is now a very large cat he dosent have the room for both cats neither do I really now he has grown so much.

Taking them back to the shelter is a last resort but I would request they were rehomed together which the shelter they came from do advertise in this way. I would much rather keep one cat each I just dont want to make them ill by doing this.

You will only make them more ill by giving them to a shelter. If you can each keep one, then they will be much happier. Your kitties could be in a cage for who knows how long before being adopted together as it is much harder to place two kitties than one.

If you can each keep one, I think your cats will be much, much happier. ;). Yes there may be some missing of each other when they are first separated, but depending on the cat, it may only last for a day or two. Extra love from you to the cat will certainly help :cat:

sarahmc7
February 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for your advice really helped :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
February 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM

If you add more vertical space to their territory, either with a cat tree/condo or window hammocks or bookshelves they can inhabit, that can exponentially increase their living space. For cats, it isn't as much about the size of the home they live in as it is the interactive layers they can occupy. Also, having them stay together will automatically provide more potential for excercise, and will be healthier for them in the long-run, no matter how big or small your home is. I say keep them both.

Either way, your home is going to be much bigger than any cage at the shelter.

Veesmart
February 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I agree that the shelter is not the best option here. But I am also missing something.....If you you're partner and the two cats all lived toether for a year and then your partner moved out...how do you not have enough room anymore?

t.pettet
February 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Look into cat rescues in your area if you don't want the pets, place an ad at your vets, newspaper and give these 2 another chance at being together in a permanent home.

Tundra_Queen
February 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Hi

I'm puzzled. If u live in the same apartment that u did with your partner with the same cats why do u need to split them up? You say one of your cats has gotten bigger but it can't be bigger than the space your partner took up can it?

Also, you can add shelves onto the walls for the cats to lay on. I did that in one room. the cats are up on the shelves and the furniture is under the shelves,,lots of space. I also have a cat tree or two. I would hate for u to split up your cats because u work during the day. Cats mostly sleep during the day anyways.Cats also don't like change and just moving them into another apartment without the other one would be very upsetting to them.

Debbie :)