Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wolfing and Ralphing

Freyja
August 29th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Hello,
A couple of times over the past week Lindy has vomitted up her food within 1 minute of eating it. I feed her 1.5 cups 2x per day. She eats so darn fast. Any suggestions?

Spoiled
August 29th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Has this been going on for a while? Has the vet seen her?

If she is eating too fast, this might happen. Try feeding her on a pan and spreading the food around on it. You could also feed her in different amount or hand feed her.

badger
August 29th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I also heard that if you raise the bowl a few inches off the floor it slows them down. Don't ask me why but it worked for my cat.

goldenblaze
August 29th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Just a thought ;) I have always been told by many people and Vets aswell that if a dog eats like that it is because they may need more food and more often. Feed only 2x day the dog may still want more and eat like it is his or her last meal. I have always from puppy age given free range for food and never had a over weight dog. Once the dog know's food will be there they have no need to be a piggy. :)

Catt31
August 29th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Does she run or play hard before or after eating or drinking??? Do not raise her dish.

Deep chested dogs can't do that - we found out the hard way too!! Brick would puke if he ate right before or after a run.

These will cause BLOAT, which is common in deep chested dogs and it will kill her. Other people on this board have more experience with it, and I've just only recently done my own research on it cuz it scared me. We narrowed his puking down to his exercise time - we just put up his food and limit his water before and after!!

Freyja
August 29th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Hmm...
I did cut her food back to 1.5 cups recently. She was very thin when I got her and the Humane Society was feeding her 2 cups. The vet said that she should get 2 cups until she starts to fill out a bit. She should be about 50 lbs and she was only 45. The bag says that a 50 lb dog should get 1 cup a day. I thought she had filled out a bit so started to cut back. However she is only 9 mos old so maybe she needs more. Plus, we have been quite active, 2 long walks a day.
Maybe I will up the food again. It has only happened twice, both times at dinner.