Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where did you get your pets

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2010, 07:30 AM
How did your four-legged friends come into your life?

Family or friends, stray ... shelter: pound, SPCA, Humane Society,
a local rescue ... breeder?

Love4himies
February 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Snowball: Kingston HS
Puddles: BYB :o now I know better.
Jasper: Cornwall SPCA (SD&G)
Sweet Pea: Gananoque HS
Rose: Cpietra rescue.

ancientgirl
February 9th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Vlad - from a vet clinic near my dad's home, where they had kittens dropped off
Oksana - from my own vet clinic where they also often have kittens dropped off
Maks & Kiska - from same clinic Vlad came from
Czari - she lived in my apartment complex for about 3 years, before I brought her indoors

chico2
February 9th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Rocky,born on a farm,given to me by the farm-owners sister,an employee at Ren's Petdepot 14yrs ago.

Chico,a Pet-Shop"rescue"could not help myself,he was all alone in a cage,the last of a litter,because he is black:(
I went home,but had to go back and get him,still hearing his pityful cries as had I left.

Vinnie,friends of mine found him in an industrial area in Oakville,he surely would not have survived on his own,a tiny little white angel.
I did not want another cat,but I held him and that was it..

mastifflover
February 9th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Clark was a rehome with the help of our great members here
But Bud and Boo were Mastiff rescues and I will be doing that again but unfortunately Clark is not so keen on the idea. But working on it. I have only bought one dog from a breeder
Remember rescues and shelters are overflowing adopt your pet save a life

ancientgirl
February 9th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Chico,a Pet-Shop"rescue"could not help myself,he was all alone in a cage,the last of a litter,because he is black:(
I went home,but had to go back and get him,still hearing his pityful cries as had I left.

Aww, Chico. The same thing happened with Vlad. He was the last of his litter. Nobody wanted him either because he was black. It's one of the reasons why when I saw Oksana with her siblings, who were tuxedo's I wanted her.

Melinda
February 9th, 2010, 07:58 AM
brina from a byb who was taking the litter of 8 black pups to the pound the next day. we found homes for all

Chris21711
February 9th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Skippy - Ontario Basset Rescue

Rebel - OSPCA York Region

Jack - Stray to OSPCA then adopted by us.

Cocoa - Ad in local newspaper :rip:

Kale - OSPCA York Region

Herbie - Giveaway

6 Birds - OSPCA York Region

(Note: never have a Daughter that works at an SPCA) :laughing:

Chaser
February 9th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Chase - from a BYB before I knew better...I knew about petstores and puppymills but honestly believed that the farmer's dog got pregnant by accident. Since then the same woman has posted pups on kijiji at least twice.

Kailey - from German Shepherd Rescue Toronto and the first of many future foster failures!

Rupert - a stray that was rescued by my fiance's aunt, aka Toonces. Of course tonnes of people wanted to adopt his babies and his cute girlfriend, but no one wanted the all-black daddy cat. Toonces loved him to bits but after her male kitty took a chunk out of Rupert's ear that just wasn't gonna work out!

Marty11
February 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM
All my dogs came from good breeders, except one that was from a Pet Store. I knew better but got sucked in by that cute doggy in the window, definately has health issues. Never again. I am very anxious to rescue one in the future. I want to help the homeless dogs now.

LavenderRott
February 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM
There is a long story behind how I got Rusty - it involves a byb'er who really thought she was doing a good thing, a job with 14 hour days and a complete and total lack of coat. He came to live with me, his mom was spayed and rehomed and dad was neutered and stayed with the breeder.

Stark is my very first dog from an ethical breeder.

When I was 19, I got a husky from a petshop. He had major issues - health wise and behaviourally. At 24, I got a collie puppy from a friend who was given her pregnant mother. Every other dog since then has been from a shelter or a rescue.

TacoGrl
February 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
:rip: Sugar & Spice - under a townhouse deck when I was young

:rip: Buddy - walking down Deerfoot Trail with half a leash on him

:rip: Jaeger - boyfriend found her in a 7-11 parking lot with her eyes barely open

:rip: Mooki - Calgary SPCA (NEVER again)

Messina & Seth - rescue shelter

lmiller14
February 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I got my goldendoodle at a farm in Quebec. I was looking on kijiji to find one..:dog:

shibamom
February 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Sasha- Beaten,starved,burn scars, wandered into our garage sale. Found the owner who couldn't keep her (her neighbour "dogsat" by beating her and dumping her 3 towns away), so we kept her. She was about 2, passed away at around 10 with arthritic hips. Truly a gentle soul (Great Dane/Lab mix). I miss her.

Pepper- SPCA. I have no idea what she is! Possibly some mix of Tibetan Terrier?

Sonti- Given to my sister by her BYB coworker to raise, but who "forgot" about him years later (she was supposed to give him back for breeding). Typical BYB. He is an intact (still :confused: I haven't lived at home for 8 years) Shar Pei (def not pure)

Simba- From reputable Shiba Inu breeder (Lemaitre Kennel http://www.lemaitrekennel.com/)

???- Our next Shiba Inu will be a female companion for Simba (Simba is not intact!) and we plan to get her from a Shiba Inu rescue, now that we are experienced with the breed.

Shaykeija
February 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Missie....Gift from Husband
Tyra..retired BIS BIS Champion, Wenrick Kennels
Quincy...starved down rescue failure
Annie...rescued from euthinasia and another rescue failure..

RIP Salsa giveaway cat killed on my property by a dog 1997
RIP Shayker..BYB dog 14 months old CRF 2002
RIP Charlie...giveaway cat 2002
RIP Akeija.dog .christmas gift 16 years old 2002
RIP Dallas..dog..gift from husband colon cancer 6 years old 2004

ownedbycats
February 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Dr. Seuss - brother brought home from a friend's

Misty - stray who wandered in, was fed, and stayed

MooBoots - Misty's son (she was massively pregnant when she showed up)

Sunshine - puppy from an accidental litter belonging to my aunt's coworker's friend.

My Lodi Girl
February 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Just my pets from the last 15 years as this would be a VERY long post if I named all I have ever had!

:dog: Trinket :rip:- dumped by a puppy mill in 2000 when they were done with her and picked up as a stray by a "good samaritan" who immediately bred her again :yell: I found out about her through a friend of a friend. She was my foster failure. I "promised" the "good samaritan" that I would give her the puppies if Trinket was pregnant while thinking "that will be a cold day in h***" I just wanted to get her away. Unfortunately, she was pregnant when I had her spayed but I went ahead with it anyway. She had been through too much in her life to make her have more pups that would have added to the overpopulation.

:dog: Lodi :rip: and :dog: Laci - rescued from a BYB in 1998 who insisted I take them home when they were 5 1/2 weeks old

:dog: Miss Billie - adopted in 2002 from a rescue in Tennessee fka Southeast Chihuahua and Maltese Rescue nka Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue

:dog: Tessa - adopted in 2005 from a local humane society

:cat: Misty - dumped on a country road in 1994 with her mom and two siblings. A guy at work knew exactly what he was doing when he brought her to work to "show" to me :D

:cat: Short Stuff - showed up at my house in 1998 as a kitten and of course :whistle: I had to feed her and get her spayed!

:dog: Corky - adopted from a local rescue in 1997. She went with her dad when we divorced :cry:

14+kitties
February 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Sammy - Hubby got her from the pound before I moved in.
Keesha - from a byb before we knew what byb's were. She is almost 16.
Tasha :rip: - from a pound. She and her sisters had been dumped in the country to fend for themselves.

Tehehe - Spazzy, Li'l Bit, Nipper, Miss Purrfect, Qugee, Wheezer, Tinker, Ms Atty, Skitty, Squeak, Mew, Kylee, Meowzer, Brownie, Mylee, Tinka, Dayle, Taz, Mittens, and Timmy all born on our property by feral moms who all managed to pump out a few litters before being caught and fixed.
Spare Cat, Trey, Orbit, Jupiter, Ace and Ajax all trapped, neutured on the property as well.
MiniMo was literally lifted off of our road almost two years ago. Still not sure if she was a feral or had been dumped and was in shock.
Kitty McKat - from krdahmer. Just call him Mr Attitude!!
Benni and Snoopy - from a customer who told me she was being taken to be put down if she didn't find a home for Benni. She told me about her baby Snoopy after I agreed to take Benni. Benni was pregnant again when I got her. Not for long. :(
Stormy - one of the original ferals who is my shadow when I am outside. No one else is allowed near.
Duece - from Frenchy and I thank her.
Greyson, Zara, Kearn and Calysta from a co worker who found them in her back yard a block from the QEW - very busy roadway. The babies are still up for adoption so technically I guess I can't call them mine. :rolleyes:
And Smoke who I trapped a few weeks ago. He is going in to get fixed soon and then I will decide if I am putting him in the catuary or if he is being released. Right now it looks like released.

BenMax
February 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Julia the min pin from h*ll - rescue (foster failure)
Phoenix the strangled cat - rescue (foster failure)
Blu the lilac point siamese pretty boy - shelter (intentional adoption)
Riley the Tuxedo metrosexual - no kill shelter (intentional adoption)
Farah the black persian Goddess - no kill shelter (intentional adoption)
Riza the shadded silver persian statue cat - kill shelter (foster failure)
Dooby the oriental red mix lover boy - rescue (foster failure)

Maddox my heart and soul GSD - still in rescue status foster...but I have a feeling he will be another wonderful foster failure. Remains to be seen.

BrownEyedGirl
February 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Gosh such beautiful stories.

Adopted my girl (1 year next month!!!) from our cat shelter, she had been there a year, hard to adopt (I dont get it).

As a first time pet owner, I couldn't be happier.

dustybird
February 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I will just do the current ones aswell as it would be a long list to, but growing up most my dad brought home. They came from people he met who just didn't want them and with him anything goes, from rats to birds to fish.

Ok the current.

Stixx- dmh calico my dad found under a bunch of sticks in the yard, I thought she was only around 4mts but it turned out she was around 7mts. The vet I worked for was awesome and let me keep her at the clinic for 2wks free of charge until we knew no one was missing her. Reported her found but no one claimed her, that was 9 1/2 yrs ago now. Couldn't keep her at my parents house as their dog wouldn't have it. Loved cats as long as they weren't on his turf. On a walk he would lay down and let cats crawl all over him just not at home.

Forest-dsh black and white, dumped at 5weeks in a large planter infront of the clinic I use to work at in late fall. Wouldn't have even known he was there if he hadn't had such a large meow. He was a mess, I didn't think so many fleas could fit on such a tiny body. He's a heathly boy of 8 1/2 years now.

Autumn- from our bosses, we had just bought our first house and they knew how much we wanted(well I wanted) a dog and so when they adopted their pup they got one for us to.

buddingartist
February 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
From a woman who was referred to us by friends of friends and one who called herself a breeder.

It turned out to be a filthy, disgusting puppy mill where all animals (cows, etc, etc, and puppies) were kept in a filthy barn that had no electricity (no heat and no light) and that was at the end of November in Canada.... so imagine how cold it was.

Cathy1
February 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Duke- Shepherd/Collie from our local pound
Jasper- Shepherd/Collie from spca
Zoey- Brown Tabby from spca
Patches- dilute Torti from a rescue

luckypenny
February 9th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Peanut :candle:, we inherited from my FIL when he passed away. He was the first dog I had (he was 15 at the time) as an adult.

Matty :candle:, German Shepherd X...the story we got was mother was dumped on a remote road in the country. She had a litter of puppies outdoors the next day, New Years Day.

Lucky...from an SPCA...thank you BenMax :).

Penny....two months later from the same SPCA...thank you again BenMax :rolleyes: :D.

Ava...originally adopted from SPCA Montreal by a member here, Canine 14. Due to tragic circumstances, we fostered then adopted Ava from her (thank you Lisa :grouphug:).

Toby :candle:...was supposed to be a temp foster awaiting transport to Ontario Rescue.

Nukka...one of many dogs flown down from James Bay to Rescue where we fostered her. It didn't take long for us to decide to keep her forever. Thank you France from up north who truly saved her :grouphug:.

BenMax
February 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=luckypenny;882595]

Lucky...from an SPCA...thank you BenMax :).

Penny....two months later from the same SPCA...thank you again BenMax :rolleyes: :D.

QUOTE]

Hey - don't mention it..;) But..how could you have said no??:D

luckypenny
February 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hey - don't mention it..;) But..how could you have said no??:D

I didn't :laughing:.

:grouphug:

luckypenny
February 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I didn't :laughing:.

Oh wait, I did say no :o. But a couple of hours, a migraine, and being closed up in a room with Lucky changed my mind :D.

Marcha
February 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Chitah :dog: :candle: SPCA adult dog
Jake :dog: :candle: SPCA adult dog
Twinkie :cat: :candle: was a rescue kitten.
Zana :cat: :candle: was a rehome adult cat.
Chinook :cat: feral rescue kitten
Bodhi :dog: SPCA pup

Kay9
February 9th, 2010, 04:58 PM
:rip: Sugar & Spice - under a townhouse deck when I was young

:rip: Buddy - walking down Deerfoot Trail with half a leash on him

:rip: Jaeger - boyfriend found her in a 7-11 parking lot with her eyes barely open

:rip: Mooki - Calgary SPCA (NEVER again)

Messina & Seth - rescue shelter

Hey tacogirl, I'm curious....what happened with the calgary spca?

Abbey:candle: --from a breeder
Buddy-- from a byb, (but they were very nice parents to their dogs, I have to say.)

The danes, Dutchess:candle: and Sheba:candle:, --from Breeders (the first breeder was not nearly as good as the second)

Jiggs, :candle:--from the humane society.

dmc123
February 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I am only going to list the ones still here with us, there are neat stories with each of them now that I think of it.

Rudy - county adoption day, 6 or 7 weeks old, 1996
Delaney - animal shelter, 10 (?) weeks old, 1999
Huxley and Harley - from a friend, their cat had 7, they came to live with us at a little over 5 weeks, mama quit feeding them. In 2001
Simon - from our street, someone dropped him off - (crazy folks to let him go) estimated age 2 yrs, back in 2005
Andy, Katie, Stanley, Fergie - from our front porch, half feral mama we tried to care for had them in the outdoor cat house and we kept them all. Almost 3 yrs ago.

Simply can't imagine life without any of them.

Diane

edwina
February 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
All of my furchildren adopted me. :D

TeriM
February 9th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Desi - SPCA
Fred - My vet was adopting a litter of kittens from her horse barn.
Lucy - breeder
Riley - litter of pups from my aunt :o.

Winston
February 9th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Love this thread! :thumbs up

Tabitha & Bomber my cats (littermates) rescued from being fed to a snake! 14 wonderful years so far!

Winston Choc Lab adopted from the neighbour who couldnt handle him after 1 week! 10 wonderful years so far!!

My first pets! and they are so loved!

mona_b
February 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Tron(retired Police Dog/SchH III Titled) ethical breeder

Casper - Hamilton SPCA

Winnie - Hamilton SPCA

Phoenix - Friend

:candle: Cujo. He was my first GSD when I was 17

:candle: Yukon

Cujo and Yukon were from the same breeder as Tron. I got Tron and Yukon together.

Jim Hall
February 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Stoner black lab x found running around the woods got him when the owner said he was too crazy

sherbert and rit little kitties part of a litter down the block
gimpy short haired dom friend who i got an apt from said he couldnt take him

Smiley14
February 9th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Mine are all rescues! Petey and Jelly were found on Petfinder; Petey was from a local rescue called Last Hope and Jelly was from a rescue called Friends of Homeless Animals. I found out about Belle from a co-worker who has a friend that is a vet tech and the only unofficial rescue in a very small town in Texas. The rescue doesn't have an official name, animals are routinely abandoned at their clinic and she vets them at her own cost and adopts them out. Belle and Jelly were both puppy mill rescues and Petey was an owner surrended for being gun shy. They're all my babies now!

binkybuff
February 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM
All of my animals have been rescues, either from SPCA's or retired breeding dogs, as my last cat and dog are.

binky

Tundra_Queen
February 9th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Willie was born in our garage and we found the litter about 4 weeks after they were born. 7 kittens all over the garage ramp. Son rounded them up and put them in a box. Willie was the runt and was laying all by himself. He was very thin. Mom cat came back and took the others away but left Willie. After 5 hrs of him crying I went out and picked him up and brought him in the house. I was scared to death of him and was wearing huge leather gonlets for this little tiny kitty. :laughing: He almost died on me a couple of times but he held on and that was 7 years ago. I am sorry now I didn't bring all of the kittens inside, but i knew nothing about cats then. Willie has a problem with his left eye and maybe that is why he was being pushed around by the otehr kittens. :(62140

O'Shawnnessey and Mirabelle, brother and siter I adopted from a resuce about a year and a half ago. They were born in a old car in a field.

Darby was a stray that my friend brought to me as she knew I wouldn't be able to say no, that was in July.

Debbie

pamha
February 9th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Current pets:
Teeny :cat: adopted 1994 from a friend who let her cat breed
Peaches (cockatiel) inherited from my Grandma 2000
Lola :dog: adopted 2005 from APL shelter
Dwarf hamsters, humane society 2008
Mischief :cat: adopted from animal control 2009
Biggie :dog: sort of fostering for a friend who used to BYB

clm
February 11th, 2010, 07:52 AM
:cat: Puss aka Louie - Adult Stray adoption:rip:
:cat: Poodums - Kitten Stray adoption:rip:
:cat: Toby - kitten - pet store:rip:
:cat: Maxie - kitten - pet store:rip:
:dog: Freddie - puppy - breeder:rip:
:dog: Yogi - puppy - breeder:rip:
:cat: Giant Max - adult stray adoption:
:cat: Mookie - kitten - rescue adoption
:cat: Squeak - kitten - rescue adoption
:cat: Gabby - kitten - stray adoption
:dog: Baxter - puppy - breeder
:dog: Bentley - puppy - breeder

clm

Dog Dancer
February 11th, 2010, 02:38 PM
What a happy thread to see so many rescues living (or having lived) well loved lives!:thumbs up

My first two dogs (Natasha and Sheba) came from the SPCA in Vancouver.
First cat (Whisker) came from the SPCA in Vancouver and the second one (Cinder) from a barn.

My current pups Shadow from a rescue in Cloverdale
and Halo from the SPCA in Richmond. God bless them all for the love they have given us.

angeldogs
February 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Jag was given to us from a friend that was getting deported.

Ginger was turned over as a rescue and was to be rehomed,but she stole our hearts and we kept her.

mummummum
February 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Declan, my sweet little man:candle:, was a twice failed adoption who spent a total of a year in a rescue/ the pound. He had a PTS date of a week away when he reached across the internet and stole my heart.

Bridie and Ceili are...complicated... a byb/"friend", me, the SWAT team, a local rescue and the local SPCA were involved. I've had them since they were 4 1/2 weeks old.

Tai :candle: my darling girl , was the result of a foolish girl who "just had to have a Samoyed" then promptly dumped the dog on her parents. No one thought to have the dog neutered (Hello!!! Female in estrus here!! SPAY HER!! was my daily repeat when I walked her :wall:). Tai and her 6 littermates were the result of their selecting hearing loss.

Rory::candle: my handsome Dobie lad arrived on our farm in the back of a pick-up driven by two drunk guys (friends of another farm resident) armed with a shotgun who demanded "$20 bucks for the dog or we kill it". Rory, who was clearly starving and showing signs of being physically abused, was the gentlest, kindest most loyal dog you could ever want.

Geez, there are so many more. My very first dog was Brown Whistle, a beagle. Sadly, he liked to chase cars and got away from the Nanny and I one day. :candle:

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks for sharing, great stories :cloud9:

RIP Sheba GSD stray (growing up)
RIP Cricket all black cat (growing up)
too many 4 legged to mention that followed me home that lived under my bed while growing up

RIP Buddy Golden
RIP Misti Golden

Brandi Golden rescued from Second Chance Montreal
Sushi Chin transport failure

Stacer
February 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
My childhood kitties RIP:

Tigger: a stray who adopted us
Snuggles: Tigger's son
Speck: From a customer on my paper route. They always had tons of kittens :( I often carried her around in my paperbag while doing my route.
Stupid: Speck's mentally challenged ;) son

My current pets:

Angus and Finn (kittehs): From Toronto Animal Services
Skylar (poochy): From a very sweet lady in Eastern Ontario who nursed her back to health and let us take her home ---Thanks Melinda!

happycats
February 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM
cats;

Sega - SIL unwanted kitten
Tuffy - SIL dupmed on me (until she got back on her feet, that was 15 years ago :rolleyes:)
Bowee & Jay (left overs from the trailer park)

Dog:

Buddy - picture was posted by a wonderful member here ;) , Buddy desperately needed a new home, and it was love at first sight :lovestruck:

The dearly departed.

Lucky - rescued from local pound
Squeaky - left over from trailer park

I owe it all to my parents, who taught me from a very young age, that there are so many unwanted animals out there and it's best to get pets from shelters or Humane Society's.

Sheri H
February 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Cats:

Caesar - in-laws
Sable - in-laws (cat parents are now altered)
Fluffy - Stray
Kali - Stray (sure she was a housecat that was tossed out)
Khan - Kali's son

Dogs:
Pandora - Breeder
Loki - Breeder

Macomom
February 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Darby came from a great breeder. We had just lost our 9 year old Rottie to cancer and were resolved to get a dog with a better history and less health issues.
Boswell came from a rescue near Rigaud. I found him over Petfinder and he stole my heart.
Harvey was an owner surrender to a local rescue. I fostered him without knowing if he was every going to be officially adoptable. Finally, he was and know he is with us permanently.
Lastly, I try to hold one spot open for a foster, who is Poko at the moment. I will take a couple of weeks off after she is adopted and then take in another :)
Shhh, don't tell my husband.

Frenchy
February 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I'll list them in order of adoption , many are already RIP , they were all adopted as seniors. :cloud9:

-Bailey (dog) shelter :rip:
-Daisy (dog) spca :rip:
-Sam (dog) shelter , was up for euthanasia , got him out same day :eek: and then after 3 months , foster failure :rip:
-Nelly (dog) was part of an spca puppy mill seizure , another foster failure (but it did take 2 years for her to become legally mine)
-Chloe (dog) foster failure after ... 24 hours :rip:
-Sienna (dog) was kept in a barn , then poisoned , then dropped at high kill shelter , saved by rescue , foster failure
-Jack (dog) spca , then rescue , then foster failure
-Churchill (dog) knew his owner 3 years ago , then before x-mas , saw him at the spca ... picked him up :)

-the cats , Monsieur le chat , Paddington & Coco , all rescues , adopted from Badger :angel: so was Puce but he's now at 14+'s hotel :)

aslan
February 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM
The RIP list.

Cagney- shep/dobe-rescue(if he were human he'd have been an english butler)
Storm- shep/rottie- rescue
Peyton- golden retriever- breeder(Qman's uncle)
Bishop- tri-colored cocker- ummm borrowed from a puppymill flea market booth

current-

Bailey- cocker/terrier- rescue (rottie in disguise)
Quincy- Golden retriever- breeder

erykah1310
February 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Kita- friend
Meiko- farm
Karma- breeder
Puppy man:rip: -elderly man asked me to take him
Bailey:rip: - Foster failure
Petty :rip: - stray
Keira (rip)- gift from my man as I was heart broken from Falco's passing... not sure where she came from
Falco(rip) purcahsed from a byb several years ago, only lived 2 weeks due to parvo
mr. Floyd - Found on the highway
Mia - found in our shed
CC- just showed up
(actually every single one of my cats was found or dropped off at our house)
Horses
Fay- had to buy her and her baby:( just had to
Calvin- ad, he did his time at a lesson barn, too old to do it now so he was basically "surplused"
Pheeny- from the barn I board at, he is just too stunning to not buy:cloud9: not to mention his potential from his breeding

DoubleRR
February 11th, 2010, 06:57 PM
RIP list dogs:

Rocky-collie--free--byb
Daisy the first -dachshund x--rescue
Happy--retriever/collie x rescue
Galen--Irish setter x --free--byb
Ace--GSD xDobie free--byb
Miss--poodle x maltese -shelter
Scamp--JRT x--rescue
Shadow--Labrador--rescue
Marble--Australian Shepherd--rescue
Xena--Rhodesian x--rescue
Daisy the second--mini smooth dachshund--byb
Dharma--Rhodesian Ridgeback--breeder
Echo--Rhodesian Ridgeback--breeder co-own

cats past and present all have been rescues--have Smudge and Posh presently

Current dogs:

Caesar--Rhodesian Ridgeback--kept from litter I bred
Lyric--mini long haired dachshund--breeder

Horses, fish, birds, snake and rodents have all been purchased from previous owners

Etown_Chick
February 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I got Scruffy from the Humane Society - it was a lucky break.I'd been searching all the rescues for a dog for over a year. I had decided to give up, as it was too frustrating. My one last look at the Humane Society website showed me a face I had to have. Got there the next day a half hour before they opened and we've been together ever since (coming on two years!)

Melinda
February 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM
My childhood kitties RIP:

Tigger: a stray who adopted us
Snuggles: Tigger's son
Speck: From a customer on my paper route. They always had tons of kittens :( I often carried her around in my paperbag while doing my route.
Stupid: Speck's mentally challenged ;) son

My current pets:

Angus and Finn (kittehs): From Toronto Animal Services
Skylar (poochy): From a very sweet lady in Eastern Ontario who nursed her back to health and let us take her home ---Thanks Melinda!

You're soooo very very welcomed...did I forget to mention she was only on loan for a couple years? *L*

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM
:laughing: Nice try Melinda

Magicwildwolf69
February 13th, 2010, 11:31 AM
i just have a short list well unless i would include the ones from when i was a kid.

Eclipse: Sister in laws mothers cat had kittens took him cause he was black
Serena: Same litter (was only suppose to get one but she was so pretty)
Stormy: Saw an ad in the paper for free kittens this woman had cats all over the place! took stormy cause i liked her face and told the spca about her. she had so many litters i was very sad for them all. stormy was pretty feral when i got her. she has attached to me and eclipse. still does not like my husband :laughing:

Zoey :candle: was a gift to me from some friends. we only had her for about 6 months before losing her to leukemia. she was only a year old :(

pattymac
February 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Past critters first

Meesha - 1st dog Kingston HS as a puppy
Nikki - precious kitty, also Kingston HS
Boomer - Manx kitty breeder
Baxter - Brit Shorthair breeder

Present critters

Bayley - lady who couldn't handle her
Bobee - same breeder that Boomer came from
Coco - from elderly lady who couldn't keep looking after him
Nino - from Lorraine or RG_Girl's rescue

cat001
February 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
JD (snake) - Sister who couldn't be bothered to care for them anymore so I took over, she got her from a bloke giving snakes away

Benny (snake) - from my sister again for same reason, she got Benny from a pet shop when she lost JD (then found her again later)

Cleo (gecko) - raised her from an egg, she'll be 3 on June 28th :flirt:

Jack (gecko) - from a college friend who wasn't taking care of her geckos very well, never supplimented their diet, innapropriate housing and substrate, enclosure poorly heated etc...and she lost interest in them

Amy (gecko) - from a friend that runs a reptile and dog rescue

Jake (cat) - add in the newspaper

Katie (cat) - an add in the papers again

Magik (cat) - like the reptiles I didn't plan of having him but reaally felt sorry for him in the pet shop

Chester (rabbit) - same friend that runs the rescue

Lucy (rabbit) - local rabbit rescue

we3beagles
February 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Bugsey - Backyard Breeder (didn't know any better)
Capone - same
Callie - Beagle Paws rescue
Soozie - Beagle Paws (failed foster)
Polly - Beagle Paws rescue
Kobi - Beagle Paws rescue
Max - grandma's dog (she couldn't care for him anymore and I didn't want him to go to strangers)

Golden Girls
February 15th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Dog: Buddy - picture was posted by a wonderful member here ;) , Buddy desperately needed a new home, and it was love at first sight :lovestruck:I couldn't of chosen a better mom for Buddy, thank YOU!

Golden Girls
February 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
So many rescues :cloud9: WTG members!

happycats
February 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I couldn't of chosen a better mom for Buddy, thank YOU!

No thank you!!! :2huggers: Buddy is an absolute JOY we love him dearly.
Everyone who meets him falls in love with, him, and I tell everyone, "that's a rescue for ya, forever greatful, and they return the love tenfold for rescuing them" :lovestruck:
He's the poster pup for rescues!!
I want to get him a collar I saw on that feed the dogs site (where you click on it every day) It's red and says "RESCUES ROCK !" all around it.
here's the site ,
http://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/item.do?itemId=35721&siteId=310&sourceId=1417&sourceClass=Category&index=9

OHHHHH I just found these ones and they're on sale too!! think I'm going to order the blue one :) http://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/item.do?itemId=35594&siteId=310&sourceId=1474&sourceClass=Category&index=3

crazykewl
February 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Aww, I love this thread!

Cody (RIP Dec 95-Mar 08) Shepard/ Collie - BYB (Dont think my parents knew better, was my family dog growing up)

Tommy (Kitten) (RIP apprx 8 months old) - BYB (aka terrible person who wont get any of her cats spayed / neutered and its pretty much guarenteed she will have a litter of kittens and ANY given time you may wish to have a kitten)

Tyson (Kitten ran away March 2009, we still have posters up around the city and are still somewhat hopeful) BYB (Same woman as mentioned above)

CURRENT:

Taisha (White and Black Amstaff) - BYB - DH was walking down the street and saw a sign "Puppies for sale" knocked on the door and fell in love with their very last puppy (which they were going to keep) She was covered in motor oil and some sort of green algae substance) DH convinced them to let her go and DH carried her home to me in his jacket sleeve lol

Molly (Calico Kitty)- Rehomed to me ad on craigslist.... though... she doesnt much like us nor pay us much attention. We love her though!

Alex (Tuxedo Kitty) - Rehomed to me as well, ad on craigslist.

Our newest addition, Shadow (Black lab / Shepard, we think ;) )- "Rescued" from a vet after my SIL abandoned her there for 6 months post surgery after getting hit by a car.

babymomma
February 17th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Keely - Reputable breeder/now a good friend.

Casey :rip: - Spca..

kathryn
February 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Stinky :cat: :rip: - stray litter of kittens (??) my mom got him before i was born
Baby Cat :cat: :rip: - part feral cat my mom took in before i was born

Jersey :dog: :rip: - relative bought her from me from a BYB. of course had major health and behaviour issues.

Harley :dog: :rip: - moms friend was/still may be? a byb.. not with bad intentions though.. nice woman, took care of the dogs but just was unaware of pet overpopulation etc.

Socks, Kasey, Missy, Jack, Buddy, Tripod, Three Legged Missy, Mr. Kitten, Mr. Sniffles & Maxwell :cat: - All were born to a feral cat colony behind my house and they were all nice so I kept them... rehomed some other ones who were nice and TNR'd the feral ones.

Tessie :cat: - adopted from my shelter because no one else would adopt her

Luvmypitgirls
February 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Shamu (tuxedo feline), found this poor lil girl in really bad shape ( actually she found me), nursed her back to health, became my second shadow, I was never really a "cat" person before Shamu...she converted me.:candle:

Tamara(pitxheeler), Rescue, she lived to be 19 and 1/2 yrs old, fiesty, luvable girl who loved to chase jackrabbits and almost caught a few! Don't get the wrong idea she would have never hurt them had she caught them, she just loved the chase.:candle:

Benny (GR), reputable breeder.:candle: The best dog companion I have ever had. He was truly the best friend I ever had, human or canine. He was super intellegent, beautiful, and completely devoted to me and my family. He placed at the top of his obiedience classes, he loved cats, dogs, kids, but would stand guard when a stranger approached our home. I miss him more than I can convey with words.:cry::candle:

Elsa (GR), family was relocated couldn't take her, was going euth if home not found, couldn't let that happen, took her, loved her for 5 yrs before she developed a rare form of cancer that took away her eyesight and invaded her brain. We held her tightly when we had to make the decision to send her to The Bridge.:candle:

Kenya (Rot), seen an ad in the paper, went to see her twice, last visit we were told if someone didn't take her by the end of that week they were going to euth, as their son had suddenly developed allergies, a story I had obviously heard before. We offered to take her to rehome her and buy her more time, well she made such an impression we kept her. She was a fantastic addition to our family for over 13 yrs.:candle:

Abigail (Abby)(Pitbull), Pitbulls For Life rescue.

Jersey(pitbull) Pitbulls For Life rescue.

Theedee (feline), was asked to babysit for a month......a decade ago....
Wendellan(feline), brother of Theedee.......same story....

Equla
February 18th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Casey & Mak - Accidental litter. Newspaper ad.
Linus - Abandoned at a motel I pick up at in my cab.
Minnie - (RIP 9/3/93-8/18/09) Humane Society function. I fell in love with a kitten in the next cage, but Minnie kept sticking her paw out and grabbing my shirt. She picked me.

Mansa - BYB. Just couldn't let him go. Ran into him at a store. I figure God put him in my path. Mansa is my savior.
Miko - Pet shop rescue. 4 months old and no one wanted him. He's a little butthead. LoL

onster
February 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Onnie & Bunduk both from the HS :thumbs up

TY :rip: from a family friend who could no longer keep him

:rip: (Cheese) Muffin/ Roquette (3 kids wanted to name her lol), was born under our car in the middle east.

doggy lover
February 19th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Travis:dog::rip:farm dogs litter never ever get a puppy this way poor guy had so many health problems over his 9 1/2 years
Tiny:cat::rip: rescue scarborough animal control
Misty1 :cat::rip:stray showed up one foggy night
Misty2:cat::rip: rescue scarborough animal control
Patches:cat: sister bought for daughter at a pet store
Calie:cat:rescue from a friends farm mum went missing and she was the only one in litter we found alive
Tucker:dog:breeder
Marty:cat:given to me by friend
Tiamo love bird given to me by friend
numerous lizards and other pets given by friends or bought at pet stores

Seems that I'm always getting friends give away pets..guess they know I'll take them in can't seem to see pets put in the humane society or I guess I'm the local humane society...LOL

Deauce
February 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Maggie, my 6 yr old purebred Golden Retreiver was bought, from a certified breeder by a family with two young children. After having her for three years, never vetted, her entire life was constrained to a mat in the kitchen. One week, they offered to workmates, that if anyone wanted a Golden they should take her before weekend, because otherwise she would be put down. I was a neighbor of one of the ladies that worked with the dog owner, and was told of the situation. I went to see her that Friday and she practically ran out the door with me. Don't blame her. The family spent good money to get this incredible girl and then never spent a dime on her after. She was skinny and fearful of everything. Especially of going up or down stairs. Which in the townhouse where she was raised, she was never allowed. Even though I have had her for years, she still waits to ensure she has my OK before attempting stairs.

My oldest cat, 15 yrs was abandoned, at five months of age, in a neighborhood with lots of kids. Kind of funny that I was the only single female in the area with no animals, and he picked me to cling onto. Well, that was 15 yrs ago and he can still run circles around my newest member.

The second cat I have is Tux, he came from Ottawa Humane Society. He won me over the second I opened the OHS crate and he put his front paws on my chest and gave me a headbutt in the forehead. The rest they say, is history!!! He is pretty much a mushmellow!!

The newest addition is Diesel. I work at a car dealership and the 29th of November a mechanic came into my office with a dirty little ball of white fluff in his arms, and said "you're not going to believe this". Turns out he got himself into the engine of a Jetta Diesel from his home in Val-Des-Monts, travelled an hour and ten minutes to the dealership. Sat, motionless, until an hour later the mechanic took the car for a second drive (a test drive) on the highway, then brough the car in and put it on the hoist. Only when the mechanic removed the oil pan and saw something move did alarms go off. The mechanic screamed and of course the other mechanics, thinking only of the worst injury, came running. They all stood, astonished, to find a little 8 week old kitten curled back in the engine. They told me if he was a centimeter either way, he would have been dead. I had the advisor call the customer to ask if they knew of a kitten that may be missing and they said, yes, they had one, and then asked if it was dead. The advisor, said no. They then asked if "anyone wanted him". Weird eh!! My next question would have been then, how badly hurt he is?? Anyways, that all happened around 10am on a Friday, the owner never showed up until 5:30. By then I had given him water, and driven to Walmart to pickup a little tin of food, which he gobbbled up in seconds. Her first words when she saw him was, "le savage" - the savage or wild one. I also asked if she had a name for him, being she had him for 8 weeks already. She said yes, and Hissed!! in my face. Needless to say he didn't go home with her. He was never wanted in the first place. Turns out he had terrible ear mites and just now discovered he has a bone spurr on his head from a chip in his skull from some sort of traumatic injury. While it is possible this came from his wild car ride, it is highly unlikely, as the mechanics said any slightest injury caused by the vehicle, would have been a fatal one. The likelihood is, that it was caused in his time prior to all this, and was from a blunt force trauma. I hate to think what happened to an unwanted white, blue eyed kitten, born to a deaf mother of eight years old. The owner was actually surprised to hear, that I had determined he wasn't deaf. She told me the mother and brother were. I sincerely hope his bone spurr doesn't cause him problems, but if it does, I will put my life savings into fixing the little guy. He is the most loveable of all. He actually sleeps, curled up in the belly of my Golden Retreiver. He kneeds on her for a few minutes each night and then curls up and falls so sound asleep, that he snores.
Wow - sorry for using up all this valueable space. But that is the story of my four rescues. I know the stories out there are endless, and the next are just as admirable as the last. Hats off to the lot of you!!!!!

Golden Girls
February 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Thank you Deauce for sharing your rescue story with us, please don't apologize for using up valuable space, were blessed were able to share stories with other pet guardians - best part it's for everyone :)

kungfuMao
February 20th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Wow, Deauce... that was an amazing story about the little kitten! would love to see pics :)

Maomao :cat: was from a rescue agency in the metroVancouver area.
Mukmuk :cat: also from the same rescue.

The rescue agency had space in the local petsmart who donates space to rescues. We originally saw two little kittens on a Saturday afternoon. When we arrived on Sunday noon, they were in the process of being adopted by someone else. But another little torbie kitten was there and we fell in love with her. She came home with us that day! That was Maomao.

The rescue lady knew we wanted two for cat social company. She said she had another kitten a little bit younger than Maomao (10-12 weeks at the time) that she was willing to let us adopt. We adopted Mukmuk a week later. Turns out he is older than Maomao!! By 2 months!! He was just very small because of either his rough start at life (found in a dumpster with his litter covered in fleas :cry: ), or he was just the runt.

We love them :lovestruck:

I'd eventually like to rescue a dog, too! When we (if we) ever get out of apartment living :pray:

wenchy
February 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Bear GSD/labx :rip: - pound off death row when he was 5. the boy who filled mama's heart. while all the other pound dogs were barking and leaping in their kennels I knelt down to Bear and he quietly and ever so softly placed his paw in my hand. That was that.

Tanooki : jindo/houndx ( http://i46.tinypic.com/10qx539.jpg ) - recent adoption from pound - 5 y/o. Had been at the pound for almost two months. Post adoption we found out via our vet she's deaf so probably explains why she was yet to be adopted.

Bandit pointer/beaglex - :rip: pulled from pound as a pup. lived to 11.
Bear GSD :rip: - found wandering as adult on construction lot unwaivering loyalty shown to the family.
Harley GSD : :rip: GSD rescue as pup. lived to almost 10. sudden, sad loss. Textbook neurotic yet brillant gsd.

Hope to find a " helper " senior for our current girl from a pound/animal shelter.

UTANRO
February 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The dogs...

Bo - stray/dumped ex-hunting dog

Katie - adopted from a local rescue group

Sam - stray

Emmy - stray

Gage - adopted at 12 weeks old from a parking lot. BYB was giving him away free because she thought he was too ugly.

Rosie, Callie, and Gracie - taken in after they were retired from a puppymill as breeder females.

Caeli - I took her in after her owners finally decided they didn't want her anymore. She was a puppymill breeder female, then adopted out to a home that continued to breed her, left her tied to a tree, allowed her to get heartworms, and then got angry at her and slammed her against a shed one night, crushing her ankle in the process.

Mattie - taken in after he was retired from a puppymill as a breeder male (who breeds a blind and deaf dog for 12 years? *sigh*)

Annie - she was rescued by the animal control from a hoarding bust. She was supposed to be fostered by me through one of my rescue groups but she became a permanent resident.

Audubon - adopted from a local rescue group as a puppy almost 9 years ago.

Jake - I took him in when I was working at a vet clinic. A client came in to have him euthanized because she was retiring, looking to take vacations, and "didn't have time for the dog."

Triumph - I took him in when I was working at a (different) vet clinic. A client came in with him, and he was almost completely dead. He'd been found on side of the highway in a ditch, starved and shot through the neck. He spent almost a month at the clinic, where I was caring for him, as I was the vet tech. By the time he was ready to be released from the hospital, I was hooked, and adopted him.

Lily - adopted from the SPCA. I was supposed to be fostering her for them but you know how that goes...

The cat...

Socks was a stray that wandered up about... 14 years ago, and never left. He kind of adopted us.

The fish...

Tofu is my betta fish. I wasn't looking for a betta fish, but I was at a local mom and pop type pet store, spotted him and fell in love.

The turtle...

Squirt is my red eared slider turtle. I found a Craigslist ad that simply stated, baby turtle with tank. So I e-mailed her, and found out that she had no idea how to take care of a turtle. He had no heater, no filter, no heat lamps, no UVB lamps, no nothing. Just a small tank with some driveway gravel and about an inch of water. She sent me a photo of him, I was instantly hooked, and I drove a 3 hour round-trip the next morning to meet her to pick up Squirt.

chico2
February 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM
What a wonderful group of people we have here:grouphug:to everyone:grouphug:

Jenkinsdjtg
February 21st, 2010, 11:42 PM
From a old Couple who they couldent take care of him anymore

Deauce
February 22nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Here is some pics of Diesel - the lucky little guy found in the car engine! Along with his adopted new mom - Maggie GR (6yrs old).

Deauce
February 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Had to add one of Diesel - with his, new, two "step-brothers".
Black - Tux, 8yrs old
Romey - Grey, 15yrs old

Deauce
February 22nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
:loser: Would help to see pics if I actually hit "Upload" eh!!!!...lol

Frenchy
February 22nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
omg Deauce , those pictures of Diesel and Maggie are so heartwarming !!! :cloud9: :lovestruck:

Love4himies
February 22nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Oh deauce, what wonderful stories and pics :cry: :cloud9: :lovestruck: you are an :angel: to these sweeties.

Deauce
February 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks Frenchy
Nelly is adorable too. Beautiful brindle on her.
I am new to this site, but it sure gives you an all over warm fuzzy feeling all over, to know there are so many others out there, that love all the furry friends as much as we do ourselves. I love reading all the comments. Loads of good advice and tips.
Could never see my life, without the unconditional love of furry companions.

Deauce
February 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Love4himis - Thanks too. So nice to see you let your friend out on a leash. Only my oldest, Romey, goes out. I have had him used to a leash since I found him at 5months old. He is only ever out though, when I am right there with him. Never out of sight. My backyard is fully enclosed. Just to be on the safe side, Maggie is always out, as well, when Romey is out. That way, he has two of us, watching out for him....:)
Tux has never had an interest in the outdoors, although he rattles up a storm when he watches birds in the feeder I have suctioned to my living room window...lol...
And, Diesel, he has no interest either. He actually runs away from the cold, when I open the patio door to let Maggie out.

chico2
February 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Deauce,what great pics,little Diesel seems to fit in with everyone.:lovestruck:
Love the first 2 pics with Maggie..what a lucky little guy to have been saved,it could have been a disaster for sure.
My little white boy,was found in an industrial area,he's our little angel.

Sylvie
April 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Wonderful thread

RIP

Scooter, GSD, BYB
Sheba, GSD X, farm
Brandy 1, Samoyed, Dog Pound, died at 10 weeks of distemper
Brandy 2, Samoyed, BYB
Chimo, GSD, breeder
Chelsea, GSD, breeder
Odus, GR, K9 Vision foster, didn't make it, we bought him, died at 2 with GranMal Seizures
Stoney, GSD, breeder

Present furkids

SHADOW, GSD,Husky Cross, found at 12 weeks in the country by older couple that could not keep her, we had to go thru quite a screening before they would let us have her

BRIAR, another K9 Vision foster, didn't make it so we purchased him

GRETA, GERMAN SHEPHERD RESCUE TORONTO

More to come. :laughing::laughing:

Goldfields
April 5th, 2010, 11:29 AM
What special people you all are, kudos to all of you. I hesitate to answer this question seeing mine are all registered dogs. But I will. :D

Susie(gone to God, bone cancer) and her brother Perkins(ACD's) were pups I bought after a 7 year wait. I mean I ordered a pup from one of South Australia's top breeders, 7 years later she rang and asked did I still want one? LOL. The litter was so good we bought two, the best show dogs we've owned.
Cuddles, ACD, given to me by a friend who bred exceptionally nice dogs up in New South Wales. We paid for door to door delivery(= the price of a pup) seeing we were not paying for her.
The rest are shelties.
Silk and her daughter Sugar, both bred by me.
Shady bought from a Judge/breeder friend in New South Wales and flown down as a pup. Her 4 sons, Toby, Matthew, Dundee and Bo, bred by me.
Gemma, bought off an elderly lady who has serious health issues. Poor girl, at 8 months hadn't been taught to lie down and be groomed, hadn't sat on a lap, didn't know how to take a titbit, she used to open her mouth wide like a baby bird, legacy maybe of having food thrown for her to catch? Took her literally years to accept food from my hand, more years to think it was safe to give me a single quick lick on the face. So much more to it and I just could not leave her behind.
I have 12 beloved dogs buried here as well. Two, a cattle dog and a sheltie, were virtually rescues, I could write a book on their problems. Not nice stories. Suffice to say that when the cattle dog was given to me, and a friend bought him down from Sydney, she put him in his yard here and said "Welcome to the Ritz", such was the comparison to where he'd been. This dog IMO had the equivalent of a doggy nervous breakdown before we got him, totally unsocialised and terrified. Anyway, I was so disgusted that later, when she died, my first thought was "Thank God she can't do that to any more dogs".

14+kitties
April 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Sammy - Hubby got her from the pound before I moved in.
Keesha - from a byb before we knew what byb's were. She is almost 16.
Tasha :rip: - from a pound. She and her sisters had been dumped in the country to fend for themselves.

Tehehe - Spazzy, Li'l Bit, Nipper, Miss Purrfect, Qugee, Wheezer, Tinker, Ms Atty, Skitty, Squeak, Mew, Kylee, Meowzer, Brownie, Mylee, Tinka, Dayle, Taz, Mittens, and Timmy all born on our property by feral moms who all managed to pump out a few litters before being caught and fixed.
Spare Cat, Trey, Orbit, Jupiter, Ace and Ajax all trapped, neutured on the property as well.
MiniMo was literally lifted off of our road almost two years ago. Still not sure if she was a feral or had been dumped and was in shock.
Kitty McKat - from krdahmer. Just call him Mr Attitude!!
Benni and Snoopy - from a customer who told me she was being taken to be put down if she didn't find a home for Benni. She told me about her baby Snoopy after I agreed to take Benni. Benni was pregnant again when I got her. Not for long. :(
Stormy - one of the original ferals who is my shadow when I am outside. No one else is allowed near.
Duece - from Frenchy and I thank her.
Greyson, Zara, Kearn and Calysta from a co worker who found them in her back yard a block from the QEW - very busy roadway. The babies are still up for adoption so technically I guess I can't call them mine. :rolleyes:
And Smoke who I trapped a few weeks ago. He is going in to get fixed soon and then I will decide if I am putting him in the catuary or if he is being released. Right now it looks like released.

* "Smoke" is now "Testy". Name is going to stick as he is pretty testy. He is now in the catuary with the other kitties but still in one of the smaller enclosures. He can see and be seen but not fight. :thumbs up

Ooops, that was supposed to be just an edit! I guess I hit quote by mistake. DUH!!!

cassiek
April 8th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Mitzy :dog: :rip: 1979 - 1991. Our family dog until I was 6... my folks adopted him from an SPCA in MB when they lived there after they were 1st married. My mom's job at the City Hall was to post pups that were set to be PTS, she put his pic up, fell in love, and my dad surprised her with him one day! :lovestruck:

Scamper :dog: :rip: 1991 - 2001. BYB.

Current Pets:

Sassy :dog: BYB.

Furby :dog: BYB

Since we bought these two, I have learned alot re: BYB's and refuse to ever buy one from one again, I still feel guilty to this day that 2 of my current pets came from BYB's :o :frustrated:

Brynn :dog: Lethbridge Humane Society. Given up because she was "mean" to other dogs... yeah... right... :frustrated:

Bear - bunny. Saskatoon SPCA.

Samara - tarantula. Girl on kijiji had her for 4 years, couldn't be bothered with her anymore... I have this weird love for spiders, so she joined my crew about 2 years ago. :lovestruck:

Many fish, hamsters, hedghogs etc. over the years...

JJO
April 9th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Jack - 19 month old GSD :dog:

Got him from my College buddy who's a GSD breeder in upstate NYK.

Jack before we picked him up @ the breeders

http://www.riversideshepherds.com/images/DSC03578.JPG

http://www.riversideshepherds.com/images/DSC03574.JPG

Jack 1 yr old

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3039/jack1yr.jpg

Bina
April 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Cool thread. If I listed all of the pets during my lifetime, there might be a site crash. ;)
When I was a young kid, my Mom had to purchase newts, turtles, and hamsters for me.
Later on, many friends would realize that we were suckers and give/dump guinea pigs, birds, fish, etc on us.
Still later on, I realized that really good pets were available from newspaper ads and that "recycled" pets were usually superb and many times free.

The largest pet was my Avatar. A horse----given up because he had aged and the owner had no more time (money) for him.

From there, it has been endless. Hedgehogs were a rage for a while, and I took in castoffs.
Ditto for our chinchilla rescue: Dozens and dozens of them have come to us.
The Montreal SPCA even delivered 12 to me the week of Christmas a few yrs back.
They were flooded and didn't need these inbred and knocked up chillas that were dumped by a crappy BYB.

These days we have the internet for rescues, and somehow cats always show up on our hobby farm and who can say no?
:) :)

FlamesGirl
April 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Childhood Pets:
Max - golden retriever: Family dog, parents got him from a reputable breeder. Wanted to make sure temperament would be good since my bro and I were little. He lived til he was 14.
Blacky & Rocket- black and black and white domestic shorthairs (brother & sister): Dad went to pick up ONE kitten from a newspaper ad and came home with two, to my mom's chagrin. They were Easter presents for my brother and I who absolutely cherished them. They passed away at ages 13 and 14.

Jake - border collie X: he was dumped in a rural area and wandered into my then-riding instructor's yard and almost got shot by her husband who mistook him for a different stray that had been terrorizing their horses. They couldn't keep him and gave him to the Humane society. In my riding lesson that night, she asked if anyone was looking for a nice dog as he was going to be put down tomorrow. I begged all night and my dad went out to look at him and fell in love. After that, Jake was only ever my dad's dog. His sweet old soul left this world this January at 16 (approx) yrs old. He was our gateway to the wonderful world of rescues.

Current:
Ranger - flat coat X: Picked up from an awful situation in a rural community by a rescue society. (I only found out HOW awful a few days ago - I cried all day when I heard and thank goodness this dog has a resilient spirit. How he can still trust people is beyond me.) He was the the society for a scant 7 days before I adopted him I've had him for a year now and we worked through a few minor issues. He was definitely the dog for me - everything about him suits me. He may not be a perfect dog, but he's perfect for me.
Blue - lap sharpei X: He's actually my brother's dog but he's Ranger's best friend. He came from a different rescue society than Ranger's. He was picked up off a reserve at 2 months old and my bro adopted him at 3 months. He's a great, funny guy.

Oh, and my horse - Virgil, show name "On the Verge". Chestnut TB/DWB X. Got him from a stable when he was 4 yrs old for fairly cheap at the time. Loads of talent and scope, but a few mental issues. Worked through all the issues and he became a 3'6 - 4' showjumper/big Eq horse before hurting himself at Spruce Meadows in 2006 at the age of 12. He's 15 now, retired and will spend the rest of his days in safety and comfort. I've been offered lots of money for him when he was showing but could never ever sell him due to his issues. I'd worry forever about where he'd end up. In fact, I've had trainers tell me they'd have sent him to the dogmeat factory with some of the stunts he pulled. Stupid people.

Here's a pic of Ranger and Blue from last Sunday taking a break from a hike. And one of Virgil days before moving to his retirement home.

kandy
April 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Just the pets I've owned:

Sheena :rip: - coyote mix, her mom showed up on my uncles property pregnant. He gave her food and a place to sleep (but no vet care) and she died when her pups were about 5 weeks old. Sheena lived to be 17 yrs old.

Boon :rip: - corgi, found her in our backyard right before Christmas one year. We think someone threw her over the fence. :( Vet said that she was just a few weeks old. She lived to be 16 years old.

Lacey :rip: - newf, first dog we ever got from a breeder, passed at 19 months due to total kidney failure (birth defect).

Hazel - newf, breeder (replacement for Lacey)

Malone - collie/hound x, local Humane Society

Spike - green iguana, bought from a petstore in 1990. Petstore owner told us he was less than 6 months old. He was closer to 1 1/2 yrs. He's 21+ yrs old now and counting.

Jaws :rip: - green iguana, ad in newspaper

Also have to add son's dogs since I consider them mine too:

Parker - newf, breeder
Lexi - Sharpei, got from a woman whose son had bought her from a breeder, then promptly dumped her on his mom. The woman gave her to a friend but took her back a couple of weeks later when she watched the friend's boyfriend try to drop kick the pup for piddling on the floor.