Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Training ---???

zbrindle
February 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Hey everyone, I have a 6 month old female brindle boxer named Zoe. I live with her and my gf in an apartment on the fourth floor. My puppy seems to pee a lot, which is fine. I am more than willing to walk her or take her outside to go to the bathroom. Zoe is great with holding her poo, and she rarely poos in the apartment. However, i cannot say the same for her peeing. She pees a little more frequently indoors. The major problem is this --- Zoe does not provide us with a tell-tale sign that she needs to pee. She knows that she gets in trouble if she pees inside and she knows she gets praise for peeing outside, however, if she needs to pee she will do so in a location where we arnt watching her do it. I need help figuring out when she needs to go or how i can train her/ help her to provide me with a sign that she needs to go outside.
Please help me out, thanks

Also, when she has an accident indoors; What is the best method to correct her?

blueeyedshorty
October 5th, 2011, 05:46 PM
My 6 month boxer does the same thing but in reverse she will sit at the door to go pee but will stay outside for an hour or 10 min whatever she feels like mostly pees then plays. But she will come back inside to poop dpwn the hall or behind a chair where we cannot see her. Then cowers when we notice it. How do i get her to do both outside... ...she will pee inside too occasionally but pooping is not something she wants to do outside. so frustrating and the house stinks. thinking of getting rid of her. Dont want to we love her but cant live in a **** infested pig sty..........

Hey everyone, I have a 6 month old female brindle boxer named Zoe. I live with her and my gf in an apartment on the fourth floor. My puppy seems to pee a lot, which is fine. I am more than willing to walk her or take her outside to go to the bathroom. Zoe is great with holding her poo, and she rarely poos in the apartment. However, i cannot say the same for her peeing. She pees a little more frequently indoors. The major problem is this --- Zoe does not provide us with a tell-tale sign that she needs to pee. She knows that she gets in trouble if she pees inside and she knows she gets praise for peeing outside, however, if she needs to pee she will do so in a location where we arnt watching her do it. I need help figuring out when she needs to go or how i can train her/ help her to provide me with a sign that she needs to go outside.
Please help me out, thanks

Dog Dancer
October 6th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the board, both of you. I was hoping someone with more puppy experience would pop in here, but for now, let's go with this. You must be proactive in potty training your pup. As soon as the puppy wakes up, since you are in an apartment, pick him up and take him outside to pee. He will need to relieve himself as soon as he wakes from a nap for the most part. When he pee's outside, have a party with him. Reward him, play with him, praise him to the end of the world. If it takes ten minutes for him to go, then you have to wait ten minutes. Don't get fedup and go in after five because he's just not going to go. He will go, inside. Your pup will want to pee after rough play, about half an hour after eating a meal and drinking, watch for a patern to make it predictable. Mistakes inside are almost always yours - not his! You didn't see the pattern. If your dog is hiding to go potty, try tethering the dog to you with a long lead. If he can't sneak away to go potty he won't go hide it.

If you catch him in the act of peeing inside - stomp your foot and say NO! Immediately pick him up and take him outside to finish. Normally a loud stomp and NO will make the pup stop midstream. DO NOT punish the dog for his mistakes. Reward him for a job well done.

Poops are a little less predictable, but do happen. Watch for a timing pattern. My older dog is somewhat incontinent now, but mostly I know her schedule and can avoid indoor mistakes. It's our job to watch their habits. Again, if the pup is hiding to do their business - tether it to you or limit the access to other areas of your house. Where you go it goes. If it's restless take it outside.

DO NOT rub your dogs nose in their mistakes for any reason. This is counter productive and disgusting. It's very hard for dogs who are indoors and alone alot to get into a pattern, and six months is still relatively young. When you can't be with the pup place it in a crate or safe area where accidents are easily cleaned and won't cause damage. Ignore the mistakes and reward the good. The dogs aren't stupid, they will catch on as long as you are consistant. My dogs are 11 and 14 and I still praise them for doing their business when we're walking. I want them to always have that connection that this is what outside and walking are for.

Lastly, have you both had your dogs to the vets to make certain that the issue is not health related? Have you had urine analysis and stool tests done? Sometimes this can be the cause. Good luck to you both. Don't give up, just be more diligent - your dog wants to be clean and wants to please you.

jpittssr
October 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM
She knows that she gets in trouble if she pees inside and she knows she gets praise for peeing outside.

First mistake: if you got in trouble when you peed I bet you would not let anyone know when you needed to pee!

Second mistake: DON'T try to correct her. She will not respond the way you want.

Best method: Ignore accidents, clean up with enzyme cleaner.

Continue to praise and treat when she goes outside.

As a side note. If the peeing inside is extreme you may have to go to puppy training. Crate and often trips outside.

renegaderuby
October 14th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Just a thought for both of you "potty" problems. since i really do feel its just a "misunderstanding one another"..try the jingle bells on the door training. They are inexpensive, they are usually QUICK to learn it..and once you've got it down..they'll learn to "jiggle" when they gotta go. (the way you train them is jingle it EVERTIME they go outside). and say thier "potty" command (you choose a word. I use potty..but other people say go out, or whatever). But the instructions will come on the back of it for further explination.