Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Alway double check

dustybird
February 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Since this has happend twice now in one year thought I'd make a little post about "always double check the paperwork".

First it was my car insurance...found out I had been paying insurance on a car I didn't own for 7yrs:eek: Only found out because I forgot my ownership when I went into renew my plate(I was with my boss in her car). I had a copy of my insurance card in my wallet and they took the vin# off it. Well to my surprise they couldn't renew my plate because the vin number didn't match my info. It was for the same make of car but not my car. This car was somewhere in the states.

Now it was easy enough to get it fixed up with my insurance company but I did ask them what would have happend if I had an accident.....well I would have been S.O.L. So I had been paying them yet I was not covered, basicly driving around uninsured when I thought I was insured. I was pretty p.o'd. It's the only car I have ever had so it wasn't like they forgot to switch numbers.

Today it was my house insurance, got the time to renew so pay up folder. Well it's the wrong address and was since I set it up a year ago. Somehow I still got all their mail. Only because I have a p.o box and the girls at the post office know their stuff. Called them and made the change no problem but again would have been S.O.L because someone can't read someone elses writing or what have you.

So learn from me and always double check because with some things it can go really wrong if you don't.

Well that was my :2cents: for the day.

Love4himies
February 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Good thing your found out their mistakes before anything happened :eek:

I know what you mean, there is such incompetence nowadays that you have to double check everything.

TacoGrl
February 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
The worst part is if someone owning the car you were paying insurance on got in an accident and ditched it, you would be paying through the nose :(

I wonder if you went to the insurance bureau if there is a way to get monies back for service not rendered...I know I was paying for insurance with ING quite a few years back only to find out the agent lied to me about coverage and I was sure glad nothing bad happened, but the only thing I asked for was for them to void the contract so I could go elsewhere without charging me the cancellation fee they all love to do. :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Holy crap, dustybird! That's a bit disconcerting :eek:

On the up side, though, both you and the owner of the car you were insuring must be great drivers--no claims in seven years! :o And thank Dawg for that!

dustybird
February 5th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Well I don't know about being a great driver, I've just always done my best to avoid the 401...lol. That and I personaly don't feel that speeding gets you there that much faster.

You all bring up points I never really thought of like the owner of the other car...jeez that would have been scary. I just kept thinking what if I caused an accident and the person was injured etc...

I thought about trying to get the money back or some of it that I had paid to them for 7yrs for nothing but....I just figured it wouldn't happen. On the plus side though I got a better rate out of them. 30 bucks less a month than what I had been paying :thumbs up

It doesn't bother me so much that they had a few numbers wrong, people make mistakes. What really bothered me and still does is that I would have suffered he consiquences of someone elses mistake.