Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Don't Know What To Do....

heeler's rock!
August 29th, 2004, 09:55 AM
I have 2 rabbits and my husband and I have been thinking that maybe we shouldn't keep them anymore. We just don't have the time to dedicate to them as our dogs and cats take up most of our day. They really don't get much love from us, except when we clean their cages. I found a lady that rescues little animals such as bunnies and hampsters and such, and places them into new homes. It's not that we can't take care of them physically, we just can't give them the attention they deserve. Now this lady lives on a farm and places these animals into other farm homes. Is this going to be a good life for them? I want to make sure they go to good homes, but I've placed an ad before and no one has responded. In the bargain finder there are dozens of pets that need homes so no one is interested in mine. Any advice any of you could give, please let me know.......

Lucky Rescue
August 29th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Might be a good home. It depends. We adopted out quite a few rabbits lately (had a run on mini lops!) and we made sure they were spayed and neutered, and would be pets ONLY in their new homes, and not be bred or used for meat.

Catt31
August 29th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Are you getting rid of their stuff too?? I reallyyyy want a rabbit, and I'm in Calgary too.....but have to convince the hubby!!! Get back to me!!!

Freyja
August 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM
More animals,Chris!?!!?!? Wow, you are a zoo owner ;)

Catt31
August 29th, 2004, 04:50 PM
:( Nahh, sorry......Tim won't let me!!!! Says the last thing we need are rabbits!!! I've always wanted a rabbit, and I WILL have one ... one day!!!!

Jane...OMG, I am sooo sorry, I totally forgot to call you about Fri. I spent Thurs. and Fri. at school getting my classroom in order for tomorrow. One evening in the next little while - we will go for sure ok????? I'm soooooo sorry!!!! :o

heeler's rock!
August 29th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Yeah. I'm thinking it'll be better for them as they don't use them for meat. she said that she checks on all the animals she adopts out and if she finds that they are being mistreated or anything, she takes them right back. As for breeding, I know that my male is actually from her. She does breed lops so I'm not sure if she would be keeping him to breed. She sells her babies to Petland and has been for 20 years. Is that a good enough reason alone not to give them too her? We unfortunately got our bunnies from Petland before I joined this site and found out all about IAMS, and the contract for my male states that they have to be returned to Petland if we can't keep him anymore. I just don't want him to end up back there as it's harder to sell bigger rabbits. Plus, I don't want him to be manhandled by all the different people.....maybe I'll just keep trying to find them homes on my own. At least then I can be sure of where they are going. If anyone knows someone that may want a rabbit or two in Calgary, please let me know. They come with everything, cage, water bottle, food dish, etc. and if they go together, I'll throw in their food and shavings that we already have for them.....

Lucky Rescue
August 29th, 2004, 05:41 PM
She sells her babies to Petland and has been for 20 years

That would be a good enough reason for me not to give her any animals.

Someone who breeds animals JUST to sell to pet stores obviously couldn't care less where or how they end up and is doing it for money. :(

Spoiled
August 29th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Sounds like a BYB. Don't give your animal to her, she is an irrisponsible owner who cares nothing for the health of the pet.

You say that your dogs and cats are taking up too much time of your day... how much time do they take up? My dog soon won't have a set time for training because of winter. After that, he almost doesn't get any time with me personaly except for his walks. He does, however always sit on my lap when I am on the computer or reading a book, and he always follows me around, so he certainly is getting enough time with me, except not one on one.

Why don't you set up a time, like after meal times, after you get home from work, right before bed, right before you go to work, right after you get up in the morning, before meals, that kind of thing. Choose two or so and give them half an hour of attention at those times. You could teach them tricks or simply cuddle with them, take them for walks (there are rabbit leads) or excersize them on the floor. There must be some things that you can do with them that are fun. :)

heeler's rock!
August 29th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. I thought it sounded funny when she said she sells to Petland....I love these two little ones and I want them to be happy and healthy, not just kept for breeding. They seem content and they run around, but only when we clean their cages. I am going to keep them, but I am going to try and find them new homes that will take good care of them. If I can't, that's fine as I'll just keep them forever! :D They're happy, but I just think they might be happier somewhere else. I will take your advise spoiled and try to give them more attention. Thanks so much for all of your input!!! :D

SSAC
August 30th, 2004, 10:35 AM
If you have a real hard time placing them, Most Humane Societies take rabbits. But then you have no say in who adopts them.

heeler's rock!
August 30th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I don't want to give them up to the Humane Society as they also euthanize hundreds of rabbits a year due to lack of space. I'll just keep trying on my own. Thanks a bunch guys! :D