Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chloe has a little cough still after her spay

quincymycat
January 31st, 2010, 06:05 PM
Chloe had her spay last Tuesday, so it has been almost a week. I have noticed with some of my other kitties, after they receive a GA, they can be a bit "chesty" and cough a bit for a day or so afterward. Chloe does not like to be picked up or held yet, so I am not able to rub her sides like I did for the others, but I do when she jumps into bed at night and thinks no one knows! She coughed a bit last night as I was gently stroking her sides and I know that she coughed up a brownish fluid - likely food - the second day she was home.
Should I be concerned about this? It never lasted this long with any one else, but I am sure the lack of rubbing her sides has slowed things down a bit. She is not gagging and it is just an occasional little gruff hack, if it
wasn't for the GA I would almost think it was a hairball sound.
Her appetite is good, she is drinking and moving and plays with her sibs (:cry: just not me...yet :()
I was going to check with the vet tomorrow, but I REALLY don't want to have to bring her in after the last time getting her there. My wounds are just healing well now, I don't want more!!!:D Any thoughts?

Love4himies
January 31st, 2010, 06:08 PM
She definitely needs to go back to the vet. I have never experienced a cough after a spay pr neuter with my kitties or any of my fosters.

I know it is possible for some irritation in the throat afterwards, but it should have cleared up by now.

bendyfoot
January 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM
I've seen irritation from intubation lasting a few days (3-6 or so). Is it possible it IS just a hairball?

quincymycat
January 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM
I've seen irritation from intubation lasting a few days (3-6 or so). Is it possible it IS just a hairball?
I thought of that, and just in case I bribed her with treats then put a big dab of toniclax on her nose. I want to try again but she on to me now! :laughing:
If it is just a hairball, how long before the tonic lax helps it through?
She is such a new and different cat I am not able to "read" her like the others yet, and that means I tend to worry if I see or hear something "odd"

lindapalm
January 31st, 2010, 07:42 PM
One of my cats had dental work done in the fall, and he had a cough which lasted 4-5 days. I was getting really worried and was going to call the vet on Monday, but it was gone by then. I chalked up to irritation.

14+kitties
January 31st, 2010, 11:39 PM
I'm with L4. Vet visit so her chest can be checked out. None of the kitties I have had spayed in the last couple of years have ever had a cough after s/n.

quincymycat
February 1st, 2010, 05:41 AM
Normally, I would not hesitate to make a quick visit to the the vet, but this girl is still this side of feral. While trying to catch her to put her into her carrier last week, she bit completely through the skin of my hand heel, scratched my arms, face and neck which still remain bruised, ripped venetian blinds off a window she climbed while in a panic mode and piddled all over the room I had her captured in during the run.. All this was while trying to get her covereed with a towel to handle her.
I am going to call the vet, but capturing her, and now that she has sutures, is not going to be high on my list. The last thing I want is to lose anymore trust with her.
Let you know what the vet says. Thanks :cat: